Saturday, January 15, 2011

Deflated... Not Defeated






Here’s a pic of me and my boo

yes – my boyfriend is an ass






Normally my bf and I complement each other with our yin-yangy personalities. I’m the gung-ho optimistic one. He’s the dark and dismal realist. And our conversations sound a bit like this…

Eeyore: Building yourself a house is a good idea. But don’t be surprised if it ends up on the other side of the wood.*

Me: That’s probably where all the best thistles are!


or

Eeyore: Just because you hear a buzzing-noise coming from a tree doesn’t mean you’re going to get any honey.

Me: Well, if not I’ll sure get a fun climb out of it!


However, for the past three weeks, Glumbo’s infiltrated my brain with his über-gloom. And lately I’ve found myself finishing his thoughts instead of countering them…

Eeyore: When your tail is missing, remember that you have every right to mope.

me: yep. And even if they find your tail, it will have to be reattached. With a hammer and nail.


Eeyore: There are those who will tell you good morning.

me: If it is a good morning, which is doubtful.



Why've I been so gloomy?

Well, it has a little something to do with that R-word. Big no from the agent who “totally wants my book.” Right after Christmas. And rather than project my freakoid depressivism over the entire blogosphere, I saved it all for Facebook. Which probably explains the significant drop in my friend count.
Hmmmm.

But whatevs. It’s all good. I just used the past three weeks to mope and get over it. And indulge in massive quantities of alcohol. Just kidding. I did write a little, read (A LOT), and spent somewhat quality time with the family.

Fortunately for you, the funky fog is clearing. And considering I never really queried the book anyway, well, I may just decide to put myself out there again.





And why not? Tomorrow's MLK day. It’s a time to dream. And a time to turn those dreams into a reality. So instead of listening to Eeyore, I'll hearken some Dr. King inspiration.





Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.

We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.


As for my most recent convo with the donkey...

Eeyore: We can’t all, and some of us don’t. That’s all there is to it.

Me: Well, count me in the “some” that do.


I have a dream too, people. And you can bet I’m going to work my “Eeyore” off to make sure that dream comes true.



*PS –quotes from Eeyore’s gloomy Little Instruction Book. Yes—I own a copy. Pathetic, I know.

3 comments:

  1. Don't be sad. Just look at it as one step closer to your first acceptance letter! :) every writer is rejected at first. I've always loved writing as well and I've Read about all my favorite writers and they have ALL been rejected. I know it's still very deflating, just dont let it affect your dreams and your determination. :)

    P.s. Pls excuse the typos. I'm laying on the couch, in the dark, on my iPad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Candace - it's not the first... certainly won't be the last. This one just stung a bit more than the others.
    But it's all good - I know that when the yes comes - it will be at the right time from the right person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quote by MLK. It's perfect. At this moment I have an agent I've been working with (verbal contract only. not written) who is presenting my novel to publishers. Even though she likes the book, the characters and plot, she is very dismal as to where she feels she can present my work (publishers are looking for escapism type books and mine in not). So I sit and I wait and I worry. I'm expecting the "no's" to come in any time now. It sucks. It will crush me (for a time) because I know I have to write. As many times as I have felt like throwing in the towel, I kept coming back to the stupid laptop and writing. Anyway,we need to hang in there and never give up. When one door closes, another one opens. And if it doesn't, well...make an opening by tossing a rock through a window instead :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!