Saturday, February 26, 2011

Awards and Contests and Conferences... Oh My!



My new crusader friend and critiquer extraordinaire, Michelle Merrill, awarded me a stylish blogger award. I was honored. And a little surprised. I haven't exactly blinged-up my site since, well... never. Oh - and I won a critique in one of her contests - which she got back to me the next day. Yeah... she's amazing.

So, yay! I'm a stylish blogger. I have to tell you seven things about me and pay the award forward to some new and fabulous blogs I'm following.

Seven things about me...

1) I have a cat named Cosmo (even though I'm super-duper allergic to him)

2) My fave food is sushi

3) When I went to college, I studied vegetarianism. I've been red-meat free ever since.

4) My favorite vacay spot is Disney World - and I experience the magic every year... in April... with a hundred some high school seniors (aka I chaperone their senior trip - PS - totes amazeballs!)

5) In high school my life aspiration was to marry Harrison Ford. Yeah, I'm pretty much a Calista Flockhart hater.

6) I could watch The Breakfast Club every day.

7) Theatre's one of my passions. I performed in various musicals and plays in the past thirty some years including The Mousetrap, Jesus Christ Superstar, and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (yes - I really did just put those two in the same sentence)


And now to pay it forward! Check out these cool blogs!

1) Ciara Knight

2) Amanda Milner

3) Chantele Sedgwick

4) Christine Bryant

5) Tessa Quinn

6) Patricia A. Timms

7) Sari Webb

8) Susan Fields

9) Jennifer Hendren

10) Quinn

11)Regina Linton

12)Christine Danek

13)Devin Bond

I don't think I was supposed to do that many, but I got carried away. Hee.

And some contests!

In my recent blog journeys, I've stumbled across some cool contests... check them out!

Show Your Love LDStorymakers Contest (runs through February 28th) - you could win a 30-page manuscript review from agent Sara Megibow

Win a copy of Kirstin Hubbard's Like Mandarin

Beth Revis (author of Across the Universe) teamed up with YA authors Elana Johnson and Shannon Messenger to give away ten SIGNED copies of The Liar Society



Hope Junkie is giving away four really cool books on her blog

And for fellow writers with a novel ready to query, the Backspace Conference contest is back. You can win a free registration to the Backspace Conference in New York in May. Check it out here

I've seen a lot more, but I'll stop there. If you're hosting a contest, feel free to put a link in the comments. I'll check it out.

Finally... conferences!

There's always a fab writing conference going on and always a mils I want to attend. But I am attending the Maryland SCBWI regional in March. Why am I driving six hours for a one-day affair?

Simple

a) I get to spend the weekend with my writing BFF, the uber-fabulous Ricki Schultz

b) A day of writing workshops and panels. (um... need I say more)

c) Rosemary Stimola. As in Suzanne Collins' agent. As in The Hunger Games author's agent. She'll be speaking. Can't wait.

Whew. So - any conferences or contests YOU'RE stoked about?!

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your award. I like sushi and The Breakfast Club too.

    I've got to write a post about The Liar Society so I can be entered in the contest too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your award! I gave you the same one here: http://vbtremper.wordpress.com/2011/02/24/award-thursday/

    Have fun at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Alison -- lots of cool new peeps to check out and contests as well!

    I. Cannot. Wait. Until. SCBWI! :)

    <3 <--hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your award! Disney is one of my favorite places too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the award! :) I'll have to check out all the links.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see the stylish award more as about what people are writing, and who they seem to be as people :D But yes, a pretty blog can help. Still, that isn't the focus for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. woo hoo I'm your 200th follower! :)
    Congrats on your award. Cosmo is a cool name for a cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! And yay, Lynda! Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your post. Cosmo is a super cool name for your cat. I can say that I have never had sushi but desperately want to try it and plan to next month when I go to Florida. We just went to Disney two years ago. Loved it.

    Thank you for passing on the Award to me. It is beautiful and I am very appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the award! And for all the news - it seems like there's always so much going on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! So many fabulous new blogs to check out, thank you. And congrats on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your award and have a great time at the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sushi! Yum! Breakfast Club! Awesome! Kitties! Cuddly! The conference sounds great! I hope you signed up for a crit session--if they're offering one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, thank you so much! I'm deeply honored ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is a ton of awesome here!!! I found your blog over at Samantha's Life, Love, and Living in France blog! It's so super fun and cute!!!

    Way to support the liar society!!! It's a great cause and great book!!

    Do you have a twitter?! I'd love to stalk you both places!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man Alison, thanks for the shout out! For the record, my favorite color is blue so you definitely deserve the award :) Blue is always in style...unless it's used in excess on the eyelid. So 80's!

    Thanks for all the links!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for the award and for all the awesome news! I love hearing about all things writing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all the love, peeps!
    @Jen - yes! There's a link at the very top of my blog. I'll be over to check your site out too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the award! Your post was packed with so much awesome I'm not sure what to do with it all! Lol!
    I am passing along the blog love and gifting you with another award. I will be posting it tonight. No worries on doing another pass it along post if you don't want. ☺ I lucked out and was given the blog awards around the same time so I did a combo post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! You have a lot of info to share! Thanks for doing that.

    By the facts you listed, we have a lot in common! I'm now following your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!