Saturday, February 26, 2011
Awards and Contests and Conferences... Oh My!
My new crusader friend and critiquer extraordinaire, Michelle Merrill, awarded me a stylish blogger award. I was honored. And a little surprised. I haven't exactly blinged-up my site since, well... never. Oh - and I won a critique in one of her contests - which she got back to me the next day. Yeah... she's amazing.
So, yay! I'm a stylish blogger. I have to tell you seven things about me and pay the award forward to some new and fabulous blogs I'm following.
Seven things about me...
1) I have a cat named Cosmo (even though I'm super-duper allergic to him)
2) My fave food is sushi
3) When I went to college, I studied vegetarianism. I've been red-meat free ever since.
4) My favorite vacay spot is Disney World - and I experience the magic every year... in April... with a hundred some high school seniors (aka I chaperone their senior trip - PS - totes amazeballs!)
5) In high school my life aspiration was to marry Harrison Ford. Yeah, I'm pretty much a Calista Flockhart hater.
6) I could watch The Breakfast Club every day.
7) Theatre's one of my passions. I performed in various musicals and plays in the past thirty some years including The Mousetrap, Jesus Christ Superstar, and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (yes - I really did just put those two in the same sentence)
And now to pay it forward! Check out these cool blogs!
1) Ciara Knight
2) Amanda Milner
3) Chantele Sedgwick
4) Christine Bryant
5) Tessa Quinn
6) Patricia A. Timms
7) Sari Webb
8) Susan Fields
9) Jennifer Hendren
I don't think I was supposed to do that many, but I got carried away. Hee.
And some contests!
In my recent blog journeys, I've stumbled across some cool contests... check them out!
Show Your Love LDStorymakers Contest (runs through February 28th) - you could win a 30-page manuscript review from agent Sara Megibow
Win a copy of Kirstin Hubbard's Like Mandarin
Beth Revis (author of Across the Universe) teamed up with YA authors Elana Johnson and Shannon Messenger to give away ten SIGNED copies of The Liar Society
Hope Junkie is giving away four really cool books on her blog
And for fellow writers with a novel ready to query, the Backspace Conference contest is back. You can win a free registration to the Backspace Conference in New York in May. Check it out here
I've seen a lot more, but I'll stop there. If you're hosting a contest, feel free to put a link in the comments. I'll check it out.
There's always a fab writing conference going on and always a mils I want to attend. But I am attending the Maryland SCBWI regional in March. Why am I driving six hours for a one-day affair?
a) I get to spend the weekend with my writing BFF, the uber-fabulous Ricki Schultz
b) A day of writing workshops and panels. (um... need I say more)
c) Rosemary Stimola. As in Suzanne Collins' agent. As in The Hunger Games author's agent. She'll be speaking. Can't wait.
Whew. So - any conferences or contests YOU'RE stoked about?!