Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Back In The Day

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's fabulous contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This week's topic:

What books were you obsessed with as a kid?

Okay - I'm going to admit - I had a really hard time with this one. I don't know if it's because very few books impacted me, or because I didn't read as much as I thought I did, or because I'm forty and already forgetting EVERYTHING, but I don't remember a whole lot of books from my kid days. I'm sure I read Dr. Seuss. I'm certain Winnie the Pooh and Bernstein Bear books filled the shelves. I know I wasn't a Nancy Drew fan. But only three books popped in my head that I can even remember reading - so apparently that's saying something.

Without further dementia rants, brace yourself for some nostalgia...






This was a must-buy for my children before they were born because how can you not LOVE Grover?! I do. I remember letters of the day and Snuffaluffagus and I definitely remember Grover. And I do remember love, love, loving this book.











I probably read a ton of Judy Blume, but this is the one I remember. Super fabulous story about a thirteen-year old future model who finds out she has scoliosis and has to wear a back brace - for four years. I'm trying to get my almost-seventh grader to read it even if it does broach topics like menstruation and masturbation. But it's really more about self-discovery and making the best of what you have.

And it's obviously one of the few (and I mean few) books I remember - so it must be good.







I was a GIHUGIC Star Wars nerd. Enough said.





And to close out the post, I'm going to share the books that I would have been addicted to had I been a twenty-first century kid. Enjoy!













How about YOU? Is your memory better than mine? What books did you obsess over as a kid?

15 comments:

  1. I forgot about Deenie! I also <3 Grover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Monster at the End of This Book. I bought it for my daughter when she was like 8 days old or something equally ridiculous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Little Critter. I think that we had a couple growing up. Just for You was the one we had. and my mom loved reading it to us because I think that Critters misadventures in trying to do something nice for his mom reminded her of her own kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of Grover fans today. I don't remember that one as a child, but it is my all-time favorite book to read to kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, this is the third time I've seen that Grover book. I need to check it out just to see why you guys love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Mercer Mayer books, and the Grover book. Every time I visit my parents' house, I pull that one off the shelf and reread it. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, Grover is my FAVE SS character! He's just so scruffy and cute, and that scratchy little voice. :) Love Mercer Mayer books too!

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost picked The Monster at the End of this Book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Junie B Jones came out after my youth was over, but every parent I know raves about them. When I have tots of my own, I'm sure I'll learn to love as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deenie! I don't remember much about that book except the weird feeling I had after reading it--sort of icky. I think that's how I felt after reading all of Judy B's books--though, of course, they're wonderful :-)

    Great idea to include books you would have been a fan of, had you been a 21st-century kid! Harry Potter would definitely be on my list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, first, I'm having a hard time believing you're forty. You look about twenty-five in your little blog photo. That said, you've got some wonderful choices, especially in your 21 century kid bit. Who doesn't adore Harry Potter and Junie B.? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL I was about to say what Katy ^^ said. Looking at that picture, I don't believe you're forty!

    And Sesame Street is a staple in our house. I can't lie--I still get engrossed lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, I LOVE little critter and my kids love it now too.

    I was into the Box Car Children books, Ramona Quimby, Felicity and other American Girls, and then later I got into Harry Potter. I wasn't much of a reader in my younger days, though.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa -- that Grover book reminded me of a book I used to have. Something with Oscar, I think? This is going to annoy me all day! :)

    Great picks, A!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!