Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Exercise (and Evil Ellipticals)






Exercise. You know - running, walking, thirty-minute sweat sessions on the elliptical. Yep - my E-post is on exercise.









And how much I love it.

I know, I know - exercise? Really? But before you click off completely - here are three reasons why I absopostively relish the exercise regime in my extraordinarily busy day.

1) As averse as I am to getting my butt on the elliptical, when I finish I have an overwhelming sense of accomplishment - like - Haha fat cells! You're not attacking my body!

2) Gotta keep the girlish figure somehow

3) Most importantly - exercise can be soooo mind-opening.

Yes - mind - OPENING.

Check out a typical Saturday morning.

I down my morning cup cups of coffee sugar, staring at my laptop. I'd made great plans - get up before the kids - hash out that next chapter in my WIP. However, I've typed two sentences in twenty minutes. My 2000 word goal seems impossible. My butt's eating calories from the chair. I'm not making ANY progress. SO I shove my feet into worn Nikes, pop a bud in each ear, and ease on down the road. My legs are moving.

But it's my mind doing the most wandering.

My workouts don't just work my body. They work my mind. Scenes smack me in the head, sometimes the images so vivid I almost race back to the house to jump on my computer. A-ha moments emerge from the subconscious mid-elliptical stride. I have gotten more amazing ideas, answers to characterization or plot questions I drove myself nuts over, even drummed out profound thoughts for future blogs. All because I took thirty minutes to shut the rest of the world off and allow my mind to be free, open to possibilities.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of times I block out an afternoon for writing, inspiration hits, and I bang out 3000 words. But there's something about stepping away from the computer, ignoring my writer's block, and just allowing the subconscious to fix the problems, add nuances, or even open my mind to a new character that makes me stop mid-walk and go Huh.

Exercise - I loooove it. And I'm evil McGrumpy on the days I don't get any.

And the elliptical? Why is he evil?

Because he's broken. And I know my elliptical did it on purpose - trying to force me to enjoy a walk in the great outdoors. Evil.

So...how about YOU? Love it? Hate it? What's YOUR take on exercise?

24 comments:

  1. When I do it, I love it, but it's been a while since I have. It's much more fun when you have someone to exercise with and I'm severely lacking that here. (And I agree about the evilness of the elliptical though the ARC trainer is just as bad.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love power walks... the eliptical, not so much. It is a sore reminder that it is too miserable to be outside. But I think the power walk is totally a mind opener. I loved running in college, but now my knees and ankles protest. My current problem is one of schedule. My only TIME to power walk is before work and getting up at 5am is enough to make me hate anything, because I HATE 5am. If I had a spot at maybe 2 in the afternoon? I'd be all over it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love exercise, mainly walking. I am trying to get back to that place in my head. And get past the none exercise person I have become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did my E post on Exercise as well. Super important to my life as a writer. It really does open the mind. When I'm stuck a good kick class or dance break can help me work out a writing road block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate it, but my butt needs it. I am starting back on an exercise routine after a long break, so it is tough to get back in the swing of things. Great post. Thank you so much for stopping by and following my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love exercise. Those 30 or 40 minutes are the only time all day when my mind is blank.

    Sometimes not thinking is the absolute best way to think :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do water aerobics 4 times a week and strength training for 2. I LOVE the water. Doing weights...as close to boring as I care to get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't talk to me about exercise, I'm doing p90x now. LOL

    But I love the elliptical--it's easier on the knees than running and I burn more calories in less time. Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a machine about 10 years ago. It works great. Once a day it bugs me until I take it out for a nice long stroll. Yep, I have a crocodile. Nah, I have a dog.
    Jan Morrison

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually love it once I start. It's more of getting going. And yes, it helps me think too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could fall in love with exercise...I enjoy it when I'm doing it. The problem is making it enough of a priority to do it on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I walk, and that's it. I hate running and cardio in general :P Even though walking equals cardio too. I just hate running, and riding the bike at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you; exercise hurts, but it is one sure way to get my somewhat spastic mind to focus.

    Running has actually become a part of my writing process. If I'm stuck, I go for a run. If I'm bogged down in 'life' and can't seem to get the energy to write, I run. It's kind of a fix-all!

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE my treadmill! (Though it's old and I have to fix it like every other month, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A few years ago I couldn't walk at all due to a car accident. Now I have two lovely stainless steal hips. But my muscles are still weak, I can't stand for longer than 5 minutes. I'm looking forward to the day when I have over come this and can walk a mile once more.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no not that word..lol. I enjoy walking in the great outdoors. Something about nature helps clear my head.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm another who loves it once I get going but the getting going part is my downfall. Should probably work on that.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post, so funny. I loved your 'cups of sugar' comment, that's definitely me too. I love to exercise - never thought I'd say that, but I do. I've gotten into the routine of working out first thing in the morning so it wakes me up and I can't make excuses later in the day NOT to do it...then sometimes I'll do it again in the afternoon if I feel like it and need a break and a little adrenaline rush.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE it but hate when I don't have time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. physical and mind exercise are cool.

    thanks for the beautiful reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm back to it after a long break too, but now hubby is away so can't go for a run outside, but I can walk the dog with kids and then run on machine later. Can and should ;)

    great idea for E

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really need to get stuck into exercise. I have a WII with one of the exercise games, that works great for me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Exercise a necessary evil. My favorite part is when it's done. While I'm working out all I can think of is "How many more minutes do I have to go?" or "Why are my feet asleep again."

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stopping by on a-z blogging challenge. I don't like to exercise but I like you become an evil McGumpy without it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!