Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Killer Scars

*Two K posts today people! Two! Scroll up if you want to see my post on Killer Titles!*



Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This Week's Topic:

What is the story of your best scar?

Physical Scars? Since you’re reading the Blog of a Wimpy Kid, I don’t have many astounding scar stories. About the best I can offer—when I used my foot as a bike brake and scraped off the front of my big toe. Ouch. I don’t even think childbirth was that painful.

Now emotional? My skin is paper thin so I’ve gotta ton of stories there, but I think the harshest scars on my heart are the ones that involve my children. Being a parent is like being E.T. If they get hurt, I hurt. I internalize their rejection. I feel their pain. Probably the worst—one of my children had to get a shot in the rear. My kids are fighters so it took a couple nurses to hold this one down. I tried to look away. I tried to ignore the screaming. The crying. The sobs that eventually paled to dull whimpers. To watch someone else “hurt” my child, even if it is for the better, shreds my heart. It heals. They heal. But it still leaves my heart with one killer scar.

So how about you, what’s YOUR best scar story?

11 comments:

  1. Kids definitely create so much emotional scarring! Mine has developed a killer "I'm so disappointed in you" face that always makes me feel like I've just destroyed his world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even think to cover emotional scars! Very insightful take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great take on this week's topic! I didn't even think to talk about emotion scars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point on the kids. And let's shelve the emotional scars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got so many cuts and scrapes as kid...both knees, elbows, shins... lost every nail of every toe at one point or another. Lived the hard life of a tomboy. My mother waiting on the sidelines with Mercurochrome and a band aid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you tackled the emotional here. And what a great way of explaining what it's like to love a child...like E.T. I totally get it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The big toe thing sounds pretty cringe-worthy painful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the big toe event DOES sound worse than childbirth. Ugh. And emotional scars-- totally true, especially those with our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your toe story is seriously making me squirm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Being a parent is like being E.T." Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have kids of my own, but I've heard lots of people say how it changes you emotionally. However, it's the image of your skinless big toe that I can't get out of my head...

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!