Monday, April 25, 2011

U is for Urban Dictionary

We all have our resources. Since I teach teens and write YA, one of my biggest informers is urban dictionary. Yeah, it's a little gross, sometimes majorly TMI. Quite often I hit a series of definitions and find myself ROFL.

But when I'm trying to figure out exactly what my kids are really saying or if I need one more synonym for gihugic or junk, I'll do a quick UDCU (Urban Dictionary Cover Up). And sometimes while I'm "researching," I stumble across a phrase that elicits an "oh . . . OH."

Yeah - that's what she said.

Just FYI - here are some interesting new words I found this morning:

ear worm

productive procrastination (I do this ALL the time!)

arch douche

boregasm

whoredrobe

uberific (I just really wanted to see if it was in there)

Ha. I can totally see some of those words finding their way into a novel.

So - urban dictionary. Sometimes vomit-worthy, often informative, always entertaining.

What are some of YOUR favorite resources?

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. Loved your last line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just awesome. I'll have to remember that resource. For now, though, my YA is set in places where such language isn't necessary, but you never know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of:boregasm or whoredrobe although they are too funny! And I like to read the urban dictionary for fun and about British and Spanish slang too. Guess I'm just a word nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the urban dictionary app on my phone. I'm usually skeeved out by what I learn there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, the urban dictionary is a great resource! I think I've used uberific before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I love boregasm and whoredrobe. So descriptive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool. Didn't know there was such a thing. LOL. I like the book of cliches and the book of rhyming words. I write parody humor and these books inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Alison, your post was uberific.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Urban Dictionary ... and 'Arch Douche' ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Urban Dictionary. I've never heard the term 'arch douche' before but it's absolutely pure poetry...

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!