Thursday, April 28, 2011
X Marks The Spot
Easter Egg hunts, Goonies commercials, Dora the Explorer, and the story I want to write this summer have me in a one-track state of mind: Treasure hunts.
I looooove treasure hunts. It’s why I will watch Raiders of the Lost Ark until my eyes glaze over (well, the hunt AND Harrison Ford). It’s why I enjoy mystery and adventure books. Why I used to send my students on wild math goose chases.
But you don’t always need a map or a grand adventure to find your X-Marks-The-Spot, do you?
Here are some small-ish treasures I enjoy uncovering in my sheltered little life:
1) My son’s smile when he sleeps
2) A two-hour delay
3) An email from my daughter’s teacher—telling me she’s won an art award
4) A 95 from the student who worked really hard to get it
5) Surprise gift card from my husband
6) Write-ins with amazing writing friends
7) A wall post from a former student when I’m having, like, the worst day ever.
8) A request in the midst of rejections
9) Sitting in the backyard with my husband—in comfy silence
10) Watching twenty first-graders scramble for Easter Eggs
11) A surprise York Peppermint Patty on my desk
12) A clean house after a long day at work
13) Reading with my children
And there are so many more, but these are a few things I like to “dig up.” How about YOU? What are your favorite treasures?