Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Rewards


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.



This Week's Topic:

How do you reward yourself when you meet your writing goals?

Answer for big goals (i.e. I will buy a Lear jet when I get published) and/or small goals (I eat an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting when I finish each chapter).

Goals? Wait. Shouldn't my rewards for writing be that amazeballs sense of accomplishment when I write The End? That OMG I WROTE THAT feeling when I go back and read a chapter I've spent two hours weeks crafting?

Hehe. Well, to be honest, sometimes it is. Reading back over what I've written or elation at completing a chapter is occasionally enough reward for me. Bu-ut, I'm guilty of saying to myself, "If you just get through this chapter, you can watch all your back episodes of Glee." Or I'll "let myself" get on Facebook and creep walls catch up with friends. I usually set these goals when I've been struggling with something in my writing world. And if you've been keeping up with my blog posts, you know I'm going through that right now.

Rewards are definitely in place.

BIG GOALS: If I do ever get published with that seven figure deal (dream big, right?!), my husband will get his dreamcycle (aka Harley), we'll upscale the house, and my whole family will vacay to Greece. Or Australia. Or both.

Now, don't get me wrong - those things would be AMAZING. It's honestly enough for me to get published. And if I do, I'll definitely splurge on a vacation - preferably one with lots of roller coasters.




SMALL GOALS: I do set these. A glass bottle of wine. A venti Caramel Latte. Time to finish that book I DIDN'T WANT to put down. Sometimes, it's just a chance to get on Facebook. A trip to the beach. Or (smh) a game with my children. Or a movie night with the husband.


So, how do YOU reward yourself for meeting your goals?

23 comments:

  1. These are all really good rewards. We (me and the cuz) didn't really differentiate on our blog b/n big and small goals. But, WHEN we do get a book deal--I'm sure we would go for a trip to Jamaica, Australia, or Rome, Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rewards are important...big and small. You've got some great ones here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely have similar goals! Especially the smaller ones. It's amazing how I type two sentences, stop to think for a moment, and my fingers itch to open an internet window for twitter or facebook lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really should work out a reward system. Can I reward myself for coming up with a reward system?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Venti Caramel Latte? Yes please!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a job that well done deserves the whole bottle, myself. Just not right before the roller coaster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, a vacation sounds AWESOME right about now! Love your rewards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those sound like great rewards! I didn't think of it when I was writing my post, but I reward myself with FB, too, i.e.: "If I write for the next hour, I get 5 minutes on Facebook!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is it about Greece? That's my big goal celebration too. OPA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you sell your book you can BUY a roller coaster. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, now I really want some tasty overpriced coffee.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm venti caramel latte... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish a trip to the beach could be a small reward for me! *shakes fist at landlocked state*

    ReplyDelete
  14. These sound fun, but that coaster gave me the willies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to reward myself with a theme park!
    Usually just finishing the manuscript is reward enough. Although receiving the first ARC usually calls for a dinner on the town.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your reward ideas :). I also use reading and all kinds of little rewards like that for finishing chapters. Your thoughts on what to do for the big rewards sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great reward ideas--I especially like the pan to hit up a theme park. Although for me, it would have to have lots of water slides (not a roller coaster fan). :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had me until the roller coaster! *turns green and almost barfs on the nice lady in the Euro Disney sweatshirt next to her*
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reading others blogs is a treat. Just reading about stuff I struggle with as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wine is definitely a treat for me when I do something I intended to. Or, like with working-out, I treat myself to a slice of pizza on a Sunday when I'm "resting." I think if you don't have little rewards, or rewards at all, that there's really nothing to work toward!

    Ava

    ReplyDelete
  21. Food, movies, books, mostly small things. If I ever get published, a vacation is certainly in order! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't really have set goals. I should though. It might help me get motivated more often. LOL I like the idea of little things here and there though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. crap ... was I supposed to set a goal?

    Maybe that's where I went wrong.

    Starting over ...

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!