Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Fives!

I recently discovered Paper Hangover (PS—fab name), a group blog that offers writing tips, book reviews, and other cool stuff. You should definitely check it out. And every Friday they host the Friday Fives. This week’s prompt:

FIVE things that get your creativity juices flowing:

1) MUSIC I don’t necessarily have a playlist for every story I work on, but I definitely have songs that get me in the mood. Here are some I’m listening to now: I Know You Want Me (Pitbull), Back in Black (AC/DC), Don't Stop Believin' (Journey)

2) EXERCISE Need inspiration, take a walk. Exercise can be so mind-opening.

3) MY STUDENTS Watching them and listening to them (yes—I am a champion stalker) is not only entertaining, but also enlightening. And definitely puts me in the write mood.

4) WRITING Once I start, my fingers just take off. Just actually getting my butt in the chair and opening up a new doc is enough to get the creative juices going.

5) TALKING ABOUT WRITING Hashing out my ideas with my husband or my CPs or well, any fool nice person who’ll listen to me spurs creativity.

There are definitely others, but I thought I'd play by the rules (this time) and just list five.

How about YOU? What gets your creative juices flowing?

8 comments:

  1. Anything that clears my mind. A shower, a drive, reading a book, watching a movie. And listening in on teenage conversations at the mall. Music helps but not while I'm writing. Funny enough, I can't talk to other's about my idea until it is more concrete. I get all nervous and then my brain freezes up. It's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we are similar again! You're lucky to have students to observe... it's like being out in the wild with your subjects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same. 'Writing begets more writing'. Or something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music and movies always does it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Talking through ideas is such an important thing. How did I forget that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talking to other writers, watching an author interview, or reading a great book will motivate me.

    Inspiration is a bit different. I get my inspiration from the strangest places. Once my son wanted to go to the bathroom alone at McDonald's. As I waited, pacing in front of the door, I thought, what if I went comma right now? Bang! A story was born.

    You just never know where inspiration will strike, eh? Of course, it does help to be insane.

    Thanks for the link. I'm going there now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walking the dog, reading a good book, beta reading/critiquing, and even on the school milk run I had an idea so life I guess. Thanks for the link :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm...sometimes pictures do it. Sometimes I have a really great idea and I can't do anything until I write it down. Sometimes, I just need to stare out the window. I'm not sure I need to work on getting them flowing so much as stopping them from overflowing so I don't explode.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!