Wednesday, June 22, 2011

RTW: In Case of Fire

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.









This Week's Topic:

The house is on fire and you've only got time to grab five things. What are they?






Yikes!

Okay, assuming that my children and husband are no longer in the blazing flames and I'm the only lunatic brave soul racing back in, here are the five cannot-live-without items:


1)Pictures. As many as I can get my hands on. Considering they're all over the place because I'm not one of those scrapbooking album-y moms (um...maybe I should be?!), I would grab a trash bag and turn on my shoveling powers. Scoop. Scoop. Scoop.

2) My netbook, my portable hard drive, and every thumb drive I own. I think we all know why.

3) My daughter's snake. Not a real one. It's a purple stuffed one she's had since she was seven (she's now twelve) that's been everywhere. Even through the mail. Yeah, the nice hotel folks in Myrtle Beach sent it to us after we made it home from a trip and realized the snake didn't. Point - the snake does not get left behind.

4) My engagement ring. It has my husband's grandmother's diamond in it, and well it's very important to me for many other reasons. I would say I'd grab my wedding ring, but the sand gobbled it up at the beach a few weeks ago (can we say bad wife?). No worries. The rings were purchased sixteen years ago in our poor beginning teacher days (wait - I'm still there) so we were planning on new ones anyway. The beach ring-napping just sped up the process.

5) I will also manically push into that exploding trash bag of pictures every possible irreplaceable memento - trophies, artwork, first cleats. I realize this is way more than five items, but am I really going to run into a burning house and not grab everything I can?!

Oh yeah...and I'm going to do all this within two minutes, without getting burned, without a hair singe, without so much as a scratch from falling plaster. After all, I am superwoman, right?

Ha.

This road trip was fun! And definitely thought-provoking. I absolutely need to go on an organizing spree this summer.

How about YOU? What would you grab In Case of Fire?

14 comments:

  1. Hmmm,If all my loved ones and pets were out, I would save my laptop/jump drives, my books (as many as possible), some clothes, and important documents. Thankfully all my photos are at my family's house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll need to somehow figure out photos now as well. Why must it be five!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! The first thing I thought was, I would take my... wait, where are those blasted things anyway?!?! Yep. Organizing spree is essential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Love the snake!

    That is really so sad about your wedding ring. But of course it's not really the ring that maters is it? Since it's gone though, you may as well go for some BLING-da-BLING (just kidding).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your idea, Julia! And thanks Sarah, my husband blamed it on the beach too.

    I just thought I'd come back here and update - I stepped outside my house a little while ago (NC = HOTTTTT) and all I can smell is smoke. Major drought and there are three fires around the county - hopefully will not get close to my neighborhood, but it's a little freaky. Say some prayers, do a rain dance, or think good thoughts for the folks in eastern NC.

    This road trip was definitely timely. I think I'll start that organizing now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cartoon is awesome!

    Sorry about your beachnapped wedding ring. And I hope those in eastern NC are safe from fires today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck grabbing all of that without catching on fire or inhaling too much smoke. That's quite the list! Ha ha.

    Sorry to hear about eastern NC. I hope your house is safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha! You're one of those people who goes through the express line with 30 items because you have 5 of each item, aren't you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, our lists ARE similar. Gotta love another sentimental mama!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! I'd grab my scrapbooking albums lol Yes, i hope you are safe too, it's terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course you can do it all in two minutes! No problem. :)

    Sorry about your wedding ring! Hope you find something beautiful to replace it with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry about your rings too!

    This prompt was very thought provoking, a motivator to get more organized, and a great way to get to know more about our fellow RTW bloggers.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!