Wednesday, June 15, 2011

RTW: Pitch it to Me







Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.





This Week's Topic:

You're re-reading one of your favs when someone asks the dreaded question: "What's that book about?" Give us your best off-the-cuff blurb of any book, any genre, and have your readers try to guess the title in the comments!

Yes! A game! I'm always up for a really cool game, so much so I wrote TWO. And just in case you haven't read either book, I tried not to spoil the ending. See if you can guess either of these.


Seventeen-year old cellist has a beautiful yet simple life: an eccentric family she loves, a hot soon-to-be rock-star boyfriend, and her own promising future in music. But then one snowy February morning, she loses her family in a tragic accident, and she’s not that far away from death herself. Her body in a coma, she walks the halls of the hospital, reflecting back on her life and listening to those that still surround her. And she must choose: life or death. Stay or go.

PS - this book is soooo good. So good.

How about this one?

Fifteen-year old and best friends set summer goal to see a live naked girl, even though neither of them have ever asked a girl out. But this goal is a lap in the kiddie pool compared to the one the main character takes on to impress the hottest girl on the swim team: swim the hardest stroke known to anyone except maybe Michael Phelps. With a little help from his friends, a hard-core swim coach, and his playboy grandpa, he has one hilarious eventful summer he’ll never forget.

It's American Pie at swim school. One of the funniest books I've ever read.

Any guesses? If you need a hint, they're both on my Good Reads widget. Just look to your right!

Oooh - and don't forget about my Pay-It-Forward Contest for The Sky is Everywhere! Click here for the details!

15 comments:

  1. Love the first one, the second is new to me-- sounds great, though. American Pie plus swimming. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pitches are so challenging for me. It is so difficult for me to strip it down and toss it out like a penny you hope gets caught instead of rolling toward the gutter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first one was easy... and one of my all-time favorites. I didn't recognize your second until I looked at your Goodreads, and now I want to add it to MY To-Read list. Great pitches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loved the first and would love to read the second...will be checking back to see what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fun...fun to read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've talked about the second one before, but I forget what the name is. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first one is one of my favorite books EVER! The sequel made me cry as much as the first one.

    You see what I did, loads of praise for the first book so you forget that I have no clue which is the second book XDD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I just finished reading your first one, If I Stay. Can't wait for the sequel! I have no idea about the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhhh I love If I Stay! But I'm also a bit lost on what the second one is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I Stay is one of my very favorites. I haven't heard of that second one, but it sounds hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVED the first one. One of my faves. And no idea about the second til i looked at Goodreads. It sounds like a great read.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gaah! I'm finding way too many interesting reads to add to my list from today'a RTW! I think If I Stay was already on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for If I Stay!!! PS - Lora, there is a sequel (Where She Went) - a kazillion times better than the first, if you can believe that!

    PS - the second is Swim the Fly - best boy book ever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVED the first, haven't read the second. (But now I'm curious about it!) Great blurbs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 'It's American Pie at swim school' is a fantastic logline. Straightaway it conjures potential scenes of embarrassment and girl ogling and gets the humorous boy-trying-to-get-laid tone across.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!