Wednesday, June 29, 2011

RTW: Summer Lovin'





Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.





This Week's Topic:

(Back by popular demand!) What's the best book you've read this month?


Yay! I get to talk about books!

*ahem*

Soooo...here's what's off the June TBR list:

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

Catalyst by Marie Halse Anderson

Hero By Mike Lupica

10th Anniversary by James Patterson

Love, Lust, and Faking It by Jenny McCarthy

Jinx by Meg Cabot (I'm currently reading, but I'll be done by tomorrow)


Yep. There's my list.

And I'm supposed to choose ONE?!

Well, I'm not. I'm cheating and choosing two. Because it's my blog, and I can.

Humph.





In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.


I read this book in two days (between work, mom, and chauffeur duties). At a stoplight, my daughter picked it up, read ten pages in the three minutes it took to get from red light to driveway, and said, "You will be done with this NOW."

I finished the last sixty pages, handed it over, and my twelve year old devoured it. If you like Hunger Games, you will looooove Divergent. Trust me. Read it. NOW.





It’s been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam’s life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard’s rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia’s home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future and each other.

Told from Adam’s point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined
If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.

I just gushed about this one the other day. If you need more convincing that this book is right up there with Divergent, check out my review here.

SO, there are my fave June reads.

I know, I know. You secretly hoped (come on, admit it) I'd gush about this one...



Believe it or not, one of my book club girls put it up one month for potential selection. Majority did not pick it, I was disappointed, so this closet naughty girl had to buy it. Two words:

freaking hilarious

Almost had me LOL-ing as much as Will Grayson, Will Grayson

How about YOU? What's your June book love?

17 comments:

  1. Okay, Alison, I think we share brain waves... DIVERGENT and WHERE SHE WENT are two of my favorite books of the year. Both left me totally awed and amazed... great choices!

    Love, Lust and Faking It sounds like fun! I'll definitely be checking it out. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vampire Ascending, Among Other Edens. Smiles to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Divergent and Where she went!! Though I must say that I picked Divergent over all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still haven't read If I Stay, so I had to skip you talking about Where She Went. However, I think I want to hear more about the Jenny McCarthy book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Divergent and I've heard such great things about Where She Went. But WOW, Jenny McCarthy, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I want that Jenny McCarthy book so bad, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard Jenny McCarthy's books are hilarious. Great picks here, and what a wonderful month of reading! Lots of good ones on that list. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Divergent. And need to read Where She Went asap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW Those are two amazing choices. And dude, I read Where She Went this month AND TOTALLY FORGOT. Otherwise I think it might have edged out my pick for #1 in June!

    You had an awesome reading month, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked Divergent. (Can't wait for Insurgent!) And Heaven is for Real and Where She Went are in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Paranormalcy by Kiersten White at the end of May, but I've only read one book during the month of June. It was Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. I know, it's sad. But I've been hard at work writing and June has been a month of being sick and then recovering and then a bad car accident and now recovering. Oh, oh wait. Does the Twilight Saga Illustrated Guide count too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a gooood month. And I love a book that makes me snort my coffee (or wine) with laughter. Especially if I am reading it, alone, on an airplane.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't pick just one either! I think I ended up with five on my blog. But Divergent is one of them, and I read it in 2 days also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. GREAT selections. That last one looks hilarious. Love that cover! I just picked up Heaven is for Real, too. I've heard it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved Divergent but rest of summer reading will probably be MG books. I'll have to sneak Possession in there somewhere though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenny McCarthy FTW. Hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear Where She Went lives up to If I Stay, which I loved.

    I so need to read Divergent, and the last one does sound hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!