Friday, June 17, 2011

Word Sandwich

Word Sandwich? What’s that? I want one!



Um...that is definitely a word sandwich (a bookwich!), but not the kind I'm blogging about today. My word sandwich is a bit different. And I thought I’d go with five year old Jack’s definition—straight from Emma Donoghue’s Room (PS—awesome read!!!)




“Huge.”
“Enormous,” says Ma.
“Hugeormous.” That’s word sandwich when we squish two together.


“Scared is what you’re feeling,” says Ma, “but brave is what you’re doing.”
“Huh?”
“Scaredybrave.”
“Scave.”

Word sandwiches always make her laugh but I wasn’t being funny.




Word sandwiches. I make them all the time. They’re fun to create. They’re fun to say. I say things like gihugic and hideosity and my kids tell me how much they love my words and call me things like their "wowsome teacher mom.” They think I’m some fabulous goddess of word origins. And I’m their math teacher.

Of course, word sandwiches have their place in a classroom. Or times you shouldn’t say things, especially around sixteen year old boys. My students were studying transformations (aka moving graphs around – reflections, scaling,…) Andsowell, I charged my students with creating their own pictures on the graph and then experimenting with transformations – one drew a music note, another a robot. They flipped them over the y-axis, rotated them 270 degrees. It was one of those “I feel like a good teacher” days. And then another picture caught my eye. Kinda hard to miss considering it was falling off the chart graph paper as he drew it. I couldn’t help but exclaim

That’s ginormous!

And his friend immediately chimed in with

That’s what she said.

Yeah…I laughed. What else was I going to do?

But just like anything, you want to use word sandwiches in moderation. Not go all spazballs with them like I do on my blog. Ha. Much more powerful when used sparingly.

And they're EASY. I mean, look at the word fabulous. That word could be sandwiched with so many others. Fantabulous. Fabulosity. Fabulicious.

Okay, so sometimes they’re not that great. Or completely vomit worthy. Like peanut butter and pickles. But when they’re good, they're really good.

Like mint cream oreo cookie good.

So try it. Take two words. Smush ‘em together. I think I might try a totally epic word sandwich. Like supercalifragilisticexpialidocious epic. Hmmmm.

Word sandwiches. Fun to say. Fun to create. And mucho easy-peasy.

Got any word sandwiches on YOUR plate?

PS - only a few more days to enter the epic Pay-it-Forward giveaway! You could win your own copy of The Sky is Everywhere! Click here for details.

14 comments:

  1. Hehehehe -- guilty!! Also? I can't NOT laugh at TWSS jokes! :) #imfourteen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greaportunity for wordwichs, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're called 'portmanteau words' after a word meaning suitcase. You 'unpack' the meaning of both words in one. They were brought to prominence in literature by the poetry of Lewis Carroll. Very cool post!

    Have a wonderful weekend, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Her book has been on my list of "to-reads" for far too long now. Sounds like a great one.

    Ummm....you've been tagged, teach. Come on over to my blog for the details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Word sandwiches are fun. I use ginormous and fantabulous on a regular basis in my vocabulary. I'm sure there are others. ;)

    Sounds like you're an awesome teacher. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantabulous fun here. Unfortunately, most of my word sandwiches tend to be craptastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And now I'm thinking I need to give the quirk of squishing words together to make fantabulous new words to a character. Frawesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Word sandwiches--delightful! I will have to use them with my grandkids when they are in a giggly mood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love squishing words together! So fun. They had an episode of Good Luck Charlie where one of the characters kept trying to do this, but messed it all up. It was funny.

    Also, sorry, that was probably a dumb comment but I've been up all night, so...

    Anyway, love the post. I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for word sandwiches! Yours are all pretty amazing!

    @ Suze: I love learning new things! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We got really into word sandwiches since watching Shrek when the donkey said "That's redonkulous" I say it all the time now. Maybe time for some new ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, my brain is not working. All I can think of, as I survey my list of work, is some mix between Godzilla and laundry. How does a family of four make so much laundry??

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute! I love that. I think fabulocity is my new fave. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!