Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Dastards!





Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.






This Week's Topic:

Who are your favorite literary villains/antagonists, and why?

Gosh. Wow. There are SO many dastardly despicables out there to choose from. I mean, there's this guy





and this one



(PS - Donald Sutherland as President Snow = BRILLIANT!!!)



or how about this one?





Look at these guys! They're bad. Really BAD, dripping with pure innate evil. They make GREAT antagonists. (And they're always dressed in black...hmm) Let's be honest, some of the best villains are those we Love to Hate. (And man, I HATE these guys)

And ever since I saw the RTW prompt last night on Twitter, my mind's drifted to various novels with a plethora of villains, searching for a fave. Wow. There are so many despicable ones!

But as many as there are, my mind always reverts to





and





Every. Time.

I'll be honest, I always liked Snape. From hello, I just didn't fully believe he was against Harry and his friends. I defended him (yes, I did) even AFTER I read Half Blood Prince. I just couldn't shake the fact that there was something good about him.

Similar story for Vader. I won't lie. I HATED him in the first (er...fourth) movie. After the Death Star exploded, I was ticked he got away. But his first moment of vulnerability with Captain Piett (yes, I am a Star Wars nerd) changed my opinion of him. Because I saw the good in him too.

Call it my inner goodie-two-shoes, make a difference personality, but I LIKE to believe that there's good in everyone. I want to believe that even the most dastardly demonic diehards can overcome the forces of darkness. Even the baddest of the baddies. And as EVIL a pretense as Darth and Snape put up, my heart knew there was good in them. I like my antagonists to be redeeming. And multi-dimensional. A loveable side, perhaps. Someone I sympathize with and believe that he/she really does have a heart.

I mean, come on. Look at this guy




How can you not love that baddie?

So. Who's YOUR favorite villain? And why?

19 comments:

  1. i think Hannibal the cannibal would make the list. And Sideshow Bob.

    mood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh. Good one. Except I can't get over Hannibal, well, eating people. Ew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darth Vader, yes. The ultimate baddie! I also loved reading about President Snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so many big bads that I love, I wouldn't know where to start. Darth Vadar has nothing on the Emperor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snape is an awesome antagonist because for seven books we were left wondering if he really was the bad guy; the man had depth, as all 'bad' people do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doofenschmirtz for the win. He is the most fabulous bad guy ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even think about President Snow. He's a definite villain.
    And I always loved Snape too! In a keeping him at arm's length sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, totally Snape. He's maybe the best bad-guy-who-isn't ever written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny how many people agree about Voldemort and Snape. Good one with Buddy/Incrediboy/Syndrome. I never would have thought of him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh how did Darth Vader never even cross my mind?! I love the example of Snape and Vader because you're right, we know the full story for these guys and they aren't wholly good OR evil. And of course, these are two characters that fans will talk about, and are culturally iconic, which says something about how fascinated we are by the gray between good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great picks. I didn't think of Vader at all, but you're so right. OK, this might reveal some gaping hole in my knowledge of pop culture, but who the heck is the last cartoon guy?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Easy! The Master from Dr. Who. Scar comes in a distant second (dude kills his brother AND tries for the nephew)

    ReplyDelete
  13. SYNDROME! He's one of my favorite examples of our the hero makes a villain. We're getting a little Unbreakable up in hurr. (: Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All good choices. (And I agree, Donald Sutherland is a brilliant choice for President Snow!)

    I had to go with Dracula though. Love him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Snape is awesome. :D I called the reason why he killed Dumbledore after reading HBP. I love that the two villains you come back to are those "villains" who have redemption stories. It's fun (and sometimes necessary) to have those who stick to their "evil" guns, but I like the ones with redemption stories, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't think of Snape, but then again, I don't think of him as a 'true' villain - just tragically misunderstood. BUT DARTH VADER = HELL YEAH. So evil. And you always wonder how chopping off his arms and legs turned him good :/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Snape is a perfect choice! He's one of those is-he-or-isn't-he villains that I always go for. Gotta love creepy old VOldemort too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Voldemort, Voldemort, Voldemort! Anyone who speaks to snakes and doesn't have a nose is pretty scary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes! I love villains! My favorite is Shan Yu from the Disney movie Mulan. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!