Monday, August 8, 2011

Did You Know...

That you can purchase quilts displaying your own personal embroidered DNA sequence.

That Lafayette Square, a seven-acre park directly in front of the President’s mansion, was utilized as a battle encampment during the war of 1812.

That the spine of a cheetah is built somewhat like a spring. This gives longer strides due to a more free running motion as the spine bends. And that a cheetah’s tail is flattened at the end to act like a rudder when changing directions at top speed.






That this mural, Parade of Humanity, can be found off of Franklin Street. There are actually several of these murals all over downtown Chapel Hill.






That in 1854, Charles Babbage cracked the impossible Vigenère Cipher. My protag decodes one as well - when she’s eight.

That rumspringa is a time in an adolescent Amish boy’s or girl’s life in which they experiment with the ways of the world before making a permanent commitment of their faith through baptism. It ensures the commitment to the Amish faith is genuine.






That woolly bear caterpillars can freeze their insides to withstand Arctic temperatures of up to ninety below.






That there are 897 steps leading to the overlook in the Washington monument. And that when they constructed the Washington Monument, they used aluminum for the capstone. Why? Insta-lightning rod.

That there really is a Track 61 in NYC’s metro. And that it’s most notable user was FDR. He used the underground terminal as his secret access to the hotel when he was trying to keep his polio under wraps. He even had an oversized railcar that could carry his personal limo that fit right into a freight elevator. He never had to leave his car until he got into the elevator that would take him to his room.








That margay—spry petite cats from the leopard family—can leap six feet in the air and scale a tree faster than a squirrel.










That a drabble is a short piece of fiction that contains exactly one hundred words.

That treatment for victims of heat stroke includes fanning the victim to promote sweating and evaporation.

That the Bernoulli sprial has several different names: logartihmic, equiangular, spira mirablis… And that it can be found in several natural phenomena.






That if you turn a D on its side, it looks like a giant smile.

That in the Chinese cultural symbol yin yang, yin represents the female: darkness, passivity. Yang’s the male. Active, hot, aggressive in nature.

That in Japanese, there are two words for father: otosan and chichi.

That an avatar is a reincarnated spirit returning to earth to help mankind.

And, my favorite, that molten potassium chlorate is a strong oxidizing agent that reacts violently with sugar. Gummy bears have a lot of sugar in them.



Since I shared my inspirational pics Friday, I thought I'd reveal some interesting tidbits I've picked up in my research. Hope you liked.

Oooh - and in writing, publishing, and other bits of randomness...

Did you know...

that writeoncon is in a WEEK! If you're a kidlit writer, and you're not registered, click here please. Otherwise, you'll be missing out on an amazing (and FREE) three days

that YAtopia is hosting a micro synopsis contest with agent John Cusick.
A full request could be yours!

that Suzie Townsend will close herself to queries on September 1. If you've got an ms ready to go, you might want to query her now.

that Ellen Hopkins new novel Perfect comes out September 13! Can't wait.

that the Write-Brained Network's conference is in less than a month! September 10, peeps. It's in Virginia, mucho inexpensive - the agenda is splattered with awesomesauce.

that Speak author Laurie Halse Anderson is hosting a Write Fifteen Minutes a Day Challenge

that Sara McClung posts the most hilarious Friday Funnies. You should check THIS one out. And she's hosting another amazing ARC giveaway on her blog. Linkage right here.

that my twelve year old spent fifteen minutes telling me a story about - crap, I forget what it was about - and that she used the word "like" 53 times. I counted.

that running on the treadmill and playing Black Ops do not mix. You might fall off, um...several times.

and finally, that I started the Epilogue for my WIP. Okay, so I just typed in Epilogue, but that's something, right?

Soooo...what do YOU know today?

10 comments:

  1. ha, these were some cool tidbits! the woolly bear caterpillars are so neat, especially! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! You've got a lot of stuff pinging around in that brain of yours. Wow.

    See you at WriteOnCon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! As a science nerd, the DNA quilt is SO exciting to learn about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yowza! You've got all kinds of good stuff for me today! I love random facts like this... the more crazy information in my brain, the better. :) Thanks for the cool writing info and links too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy smokes! My youngest son and I enjoyed watching the gummy bear go up in flames! I'm sure he'll be showing that video to a bunch of his friends. I have to admit that I've learned a lot from reading your blog! So glad you posted at Pk's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! I found your blog on facebook this morning. You're back!.... thanks for all the interesting tips!... Planning on picking up my book this week for book club :) So excited!...can't believe you're on your epilogue. That's AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know that I am on version 58 of my first novel and desperately want to trunk it but keep being told I'm not allowed bc the premise is SO good??? Ack. Double ack. Triple ack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew about the cheetah tail, The Drabble, the Japanese words for father... And then my brain stopped working.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That test tube is toast, and the gummy bear didn't fare tooooo well either. Loved your micro facts.
    And, also the part about your 12 yr. old daughter, "like" 53 times. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you're like the fountain of knowledge with beautiful pictures thrown in :)

    Of course I'm signed up for WriteOnCon. I hope my WIPs are in better shape by then though.
    Can't wait to wave to you over there :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!