Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Fives! Authors I'm Dying to Meet

It's Friday Fives over at Paper Hangover, and today they want to know





Well, since I already met this guy,





I'll share the other authors/writers I would love, love, love to onedayhopefullysoon meet





James Patterson is, and will probably always be, my writing hero. For a long time, his books were all I read, and his Maximum Ride series kindled my interest in writing. And while, yes, his plots are at times all over the place (hmm...as are mine), he pens AMAZING stories, and he OWNS the title, King of the Page Turners. I may never be Queen of the Page Turners, but I would definitely settle for Little Miss Princess Page Turner. That'd be cool.











I turn extreme shades of green when I see all my writer friends in pics with this guy: John Green - the man behind such amazing books like Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns. An Abundance of Katherines. And will grayson, will grayson. See, I listed them all because he's AMAZING. And one day I will meet him. And tell him what a literary genius he is. And take lots of pictures that will make all my friends swoon.

PS - he and his brother Hank head up the Nerdfighters, fighting to increase awesome and decrease suck. They tell cool nerd jokes and rip on Snooki and well, they're just awesome.





If I didn't declare my official reign over Nerdsville with that last one, I will now. So, Star Wars. As a kid I watched it so many times I can still recite most of the movies (the original three) verbatim. I played with the toys, collected the cards, and of course, had a fangirl crush on Han Solo. And when my son developed an interest two years ago, I relived my childhood vicariously through him.

George Lucas is a creative mastermind, and I would love to just stand in his presence and have him breathe his awesomeness on me.








If I had a 1981 plutonium-spiked Delorean, I would travel back in time to meet this guy. Why? Because I became a huge Will fan after reading King Lear my senior year of high school? Because I'm an actress at heart? Because I watch way too much Dead Poets Society?

My college major was math, but that didn't stop me from taking a score of English and Drama classes. And one of them was Shakespeare. My professor was actually a guest director at my college and he somewhat taught the class from an actor's POV. I don't remember everything from that class (it was over twenty years ago), but I do remember pouring over my twenty-ton classic compilation. I read and reread and reread again fabulosities like Winter's Tale and Coriolanus. I wrote an eighteen page research paper on The Tempest - and enjoyed it.



Yep. Aspiring author, accomplished nerd.


Finally, I would literally have to die to meet this Guy...




Author of the longest running best seller, The Bible. Yep. That Guy. God. And while I'm not ready to meet him just yet, I will one day.

So how about YOU? What authors are you dying to meet?

9 comments:

  1. John Green is on my list too. You'll need a TRADIS to meet Shakespeare but I think it's doable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you included God... I wouldn't have thought of him as an "author," but I think you're right! And John Green *almost* made my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Green is way up there on my list, for sure. I'd also want to meet Laurie Halse Anderson, Agatha Christie, Sarah Rees Brennan and Elizabeth Peters. As soon as I walk away I'll think of 5 others - agh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good choices. I just finished Will Grayson, Will Grayson and I was reading about John's Green's upcoming book. He'd be really cool to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost got to meet John Green last weekend at SCBWI LA, but his gallbladder interfered and he was unable to attend. Sadness. Instead we got Judy Blume which was a pretty cool replacement :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have to agree on most of your list. I've never read anything by John Green (maybe I should?), but all the rest including James Patterson (one of my absolute faves) would be there. I would have to include Stephen King as he is my number one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There shouldn't be too many pics of people with John Green since he actually has a policy against taking pictures at signings. That might make you feel better. Ha! He's my writing hero, too. I hope you get to meet him someday, too! Also, the other guys ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Daughter,
    Enjoyed your blog. I am more of a non-fiction reader, so in that category, I would like to meet Charles Colson (How Now Shall We Live--among others), Charles Stanley (Turning the Tide--among others), and of course Jesus Christ--the "author and perfector of our faith--Hebrews 12:2 when I will be "absent from the body and at home with the Lord", 2 Corinthians 5:8--His wonderful promise. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have met several of my favorite authors (Holly Black being the one that comes to mind first, and I totally fangirled all over her) but hmmm...
    I would totally meet Shakespeare. No question.
    I would have liked to meet Diana Wynne Jones *sigh* :(
    Garth Nix
    aaaand...
    JK Rowling. (Not a hard one!) :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!