Wednesday, August 10, 2011

RTW: Racing With the Sun







Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on their own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.






This Week's Topic:

What time do you prefer to do your writing? Early Worm? Night Owl ? Any five seconds you can grab?

Most of you know my 24/7 real job = high school math teacher, and that right now, I'm soaking up the last remnants of my summer break. Andbutso, this question has two answers.

Me. With more than one answer. Imagine that.

During the summer, my writing schedule varies, but I am a morning person through and through. And I have to be. While my children are completely fabulous, they test the limits of bed time during the summer. I've given up trying with my tween - she just goes to bed sometime before midnight. The seven year old ornery monster - maybe nine-thirty? Yeah. Can't wait to see how they operate on that first day of school in two weeks.

But the cool thing - they sleep until at least eight if not nine or ten. So I just get up by six seven and try to get a couple of hours of something in - usually writing, blogging, catching up on emails. Because the one thing I can't do? I can't write at night. I can critique. I can even read. Writing, not so much. For whatever reason, opening up a new document equals instant codeine. Knocks me right out. Guess my muse needs its sleep too.

Next Wednesday, I return to work. And my life is not my own. The whole family starts school before 7:30 (my husband's a teacher too!). After, I morph into mom mode. Or wife mode. Or tutor mode. Or chauffeur mode. Or - you get it. It's crazytown.

So when do I write?





Yep. I really don't mind. Because I know, armed with coffee and total solitude and quiet, my muse awakens. And I get some of my best work done.

And I do try to squeeze in a few moments during the day - during my planning period (shhh), when the kids are at whatever practice, sometimes sitting in my son's doorway as he tries to fall asleep (at a much earlier bedtime).

So how about YOU? Early worm? Night owl? When do you squeeze the writing in?

11 comments:

  1. You really get up at 4 to write?! And I thought *I* was an early bird!

    Very impressive, Alison. Isn't it funny how you just do what you've got to do to get things done? Our internal clocks somehow manage to adjust.

    Also, I think you're definitely a contender for Super Mom! (And Super Teacher!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you morning people. I don't know how you do it! It's like a foreign language to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't tell that you wrote during your planning period if you won't tell that I used to do it during homework time. >.>

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second those SuperMom and SuperTeacher nominations! All early morning people impress me, but getting up at 4 and then completing a full teaching day is way above and beyond :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, that's before the sun is up, right? I think I'm dead to the world right around then. If I'm awake at 4 a.m., you can go ahead and assume I'm sleepwalking or sick. But more power to you, Super Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not 100% sure whether I told you or not, so at the risk of repeating myself, Swim the Fly arrived at the end of last week, yay! Thanks again, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY for early morning writers! I am so amazed and impressed at your dedication to fitting the words in. Well done!!

    Also, that white wheeled alarm clock is so many kinds of awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow...4 am? That's dedication. The only way I'm writing at 4 a.m. is if I never went to bed. It must feel good to know you've accomplished something when your day starts, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was teaching, my own writing time was sporadic--usually after dinner, after dishes. But then I would be so wound up with ideas, that I couldn't get to sleep.
    Now I write in the morning, after breakfast. Then I write off and on throughout the day, with housework breaks. Life is good as an empty nester.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I write whenever I get the chance....morning, day, or night. But never at 4am!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow 4 is early. I wrote at 6.30 am today but usually afternoons and early evening work best. Sporadic as ever lol.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!