Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday Fabulosities

Happy Friday! I'm taking off for the Write Brained Conference in Virginia where I'll reconnect with writer friends and attend fabulous sessions on writing! Super excited! And I'm certain I'll have lots to share, so definitely come back for those posts in the coming weeks!

Oh - and PS - you will DEFINITELY want to pop in on Monday. Exciting things happenin' and you'll want to know all about it. So stop back. Trust me.

And it's Friday Fives over at Paper Hangover! This week they want to know





I feel like I've been answering this question all summer, but just in case you missed my other posts about my favorite summer reads, I'll share again!

Here they are with their Good Reads blurbs...


Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?



The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program--or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan--or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?

Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Your tour guide? None other than Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.




Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.



For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.





It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.



Super, awesome, fabulous reads. I reviewed three of them here, here, and here.


Finally, I leave you with tales from Annoying Orange. I hope you spend your entire weekend yelling, "Hey Plumpkin!"





Yes, it's annoying. And no, it's not Halloween yet. But it still makes me smile.

What are YOUR big plans for the weekend?!

14 comments:

  1. God, I hate that orange! Also I really want to read Hourglass...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent choices! I'm particularly fond of ANNA and DIVERGENT. And I'm reading HOURGLASS this month... can't wait! Have a great weekend, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauty Queens and Divergent are on my TBListenedTo pile. I'm looking forward to both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices-- all really fantastic books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All books that are getting the same hype on twitter. Guess I should add them to my TBR pile.

    I'll be so happy when I can spend what I do on textbooks for fun reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been saying this for months, but I want to read Anna and the French Kiss. It's one of those books that seem to keep popping up and reminding me that I need to read it. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read Anna and the French Kiss and I loved Where She Went.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED Anna and Divergent. They're in my top 5 for the year.

    Enjoy your conference!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices!

    Enjoy your conference! I'm off to a really fun wedding this weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of those books, except HOURGLASS--but that's just because I haven't read it. Guess I should rectify that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck in the conference!
    Nice books! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhhh the orange!!!

    Hi, I'm Angela I'm in your paranormal group for the writing campaign. I forgot that one when I first went a followed everyones blogs and now I am trying to get caught up.

    Love a lot of those books btw.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore that HOURGLASS cover! I want to read the book, too. I've having a contest to give away DIVERGENT and ENTWINED on my blog! Read both of those so now I'm sharing my hardbacks. :) BEAUTY QUEENS sounds very cool!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!