Wednesday, September 14, 2011
RTW: Déjà vu!
Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
This Week's Topic:
What themes, setting, motifs, scenes, or other elements do you find reoccurring in your work?
Confession: I am the Queen of Redundancy (cue collective sarcastic Noooo) so OF COURSE there’ll be recurring themes, settings,… in my work. Some good, some not so good. Here are a few I’m guilty of
1) Supernatural Abilities: I mostly write Paranormal YA about teens with special skills. Invisibility, mind-reading, superhuman strength. Weird stuff happening when my main character gets all envious. Boys who can get girls to do anything they want. All different, but still supernatural.
2) Sports: Can’t seem to detach myself from that love. My main characters always seem to have some tie to football, soccer, or basketball. Whether it’s as the statistician, the quarterback, or the supportive BFF, athletics finds its way into my stories. I love it. And it makes for a lot of fun research.
3) Beach: not always a predominant setting, but it’s there.
4) Fitting in and self-discovery. My MCs grow up a bit throughout my stories, realizing how they affect and impact people and the world around them. It’s cool.
5) Introverted and/or introspective protagonists—I think I just defined myself.
6) Snarkasm: my female MCs are rather snarktastic, IMHO, but deep down nice and harmless.
7) My villains are usually of the male persuasion. I just realized this. Hmm.
8) Ellipses and em-dashes: I’m working on toning it down.
9) Ugh: My females tend to say this a lot. I don’t have this issue with my latest WIP.
10) And romance. *sigh* Usually heart-warming, happy-ending ones.
There are definitely others, but I'll stop there.
HUGE PS! My new blog, YA Confidential, launched Monday and we’re celebrating with a huge giveaway! ARCs, critiques, and prize packs! Check it out, yo.
ANY recurring “stuff” in YOUR stories?