Monday, September 26, 2011

Second Campaign Challenge AND a Terse Review


The Second Campaign Challenge is on!

Write a blog post in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, whether flash fiction, non-fiction, humorous blog musings, poem, etc. The blog post should:

• include the word "imago" in the title
• include the following 4 random
words: "miasma," "lacuna," "oscitate," "synchronicity,"

If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional and included in the word count), make reference to a mirror in your post.
For those who want an even greater challenge (optional), make your post 200 words EXACTLY!



So because I'm champion multi-tasker (ha) and I'm supporting Banned Books Week and...AND I wanted to review the fabulousness that is Ellen Hopkins' Perfect, I thought I'd take care of all three with one post! Or at least try.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a poet, and I know it. Try to enjoy anyway. :)




Shatter the Imago: Review of Perfect

Four seniors, mirroring parental expectation
Four lives, intertwining, paralleled
but not in synchronicity
Related by events
Expectations
Raw urges.
Desires to break the mold


Cara—raised in toxic miasma,
parental vapors reeking of unattainable expectation.
She’s with Sean.
But prefers Dani(elle)

Is it better to be dead to yourself
Or alive with someone else?


Kendra—beautiful, thin
Too thin
Size two is not enough
Starvation seems the only road to her perfection


Sean—the pressure
Scholarships, baseball
Cara
Be the best
Can steroids bridge the high school-Stanford lacuna?


Andre
Dancer hiding in parental ambition’s shadow
Fortune 500 is the future
Mom, Dad? Will you ever understand?
To thine own self be true?


Perfect is raw, edgy
REAL
Emotion explodes off the page

Choking tears, I oscitate
Yearn to reach through the pages
Save Cara from Sean
Save Andre from his parents
Save Kendra from herself

Suicide,
racism,
stalking,
anorexia,
rape,
sexual identity

Ellen covers it all
She gets it
She gets them

Teens pressured
By family, friends
Themselves
To be “perfect”

Perfect conveys the exhilaration
and the consequences of striving to live up
to imagos formed from birth

And being who you are
instead of who you’re expected to be


If you liked my terse 200-word review, head over to Rach Writes and like my entry. (I'm #119!)

And don't forget to enter my Banned Books Giveaway! I'm giving away copies of Perfect and The Perks of Being a Wallflower! Click here for details.

28 comments:

  1. Love your entry and want to read this book even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the clever take on the entry. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome multi-tasking Alison, you nailed this one and the book sounds great. I love novels-in-verse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOVE it! Especially since I don't know what half those words you were supposed to use mean. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great Terse Review! I'll go vote now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I love the way you combined an Ellen-Hopkin-esque review with the Challenge. I love Ellen Hopkins' books!
    Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome entry. I'll have to find the book and get myself a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And now I don't want to write my Challenge #2 entry because yours is so amazing.

    Seriously. Bravo! I don't think I would have given this book a second glance, but now I'm itching to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an interesting approach to the challenge, and great job!
    Mine is #3.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how describe the characters! Beautiful way to use the words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - clever you! Combining two posts in one go and so well... Smarty pants. :)

    You've got my vote for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't believe I almost missed Banned Books week. Love Ellen Hopkins. This is a great tribute to her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a great take on this challenge. Mine is #29

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with Katy...I don't even want to bother now! GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a clever way to do a review.

    -Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay - this makes me want to go and add this book to my TBR pile. Great entry and an excellent way to execute it.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is rich. A book review, with the 2nd campaign challenge guidelines? And as a poem? Wicked! You win the award for originality, as far as I'm concerned.

    Great job, Alison! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the giveaway. A very interesting post.

    +1 comment
    +1 new follower-judy

    Total +2

    Judy
    magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent challenge entry! I love the combination.

    And thanks for the review. :)

    My entry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. very nice! I like how you tied in teh review. Very clever

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very, very impressed with book review, in verse using second challenge words! This deserves a vote!

    PS I love PERFECT too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is awesome. Ellen will love it. Make sure she sees it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excellent! Thanks much for the tribute, and more for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome! What a unique take on the challenge and you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea! Love how you used your poem as a review of this book. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great voice. I have a young adult novel that I need to revise and it's good to have you as a reference.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job on this. A well written challenge piece and functional at that. :)

    #189

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!