Friday, October 7, 2011

Friday Fives! Writing Inspiration

It's Friday Fives over at Paper Hangover! This week they want to know





There's definitely more than five, but I'll share a few of the things that get the creative juices flowing...

1) Rereading my work. You know—the occasional good stuff. I reread it and fall in love with my babies all over again and get super inspired to keep writing about them!


2) Visiting different settings from my stories, er...the ones I can get to. Friday nights find me on the football sidelines. I watch the game, I take the stats, I cheer for my school's team. But my mind does drift - to my stories, my characters. My WIP cast includes football players and cheerleaders, and I often scribble extensive "notes to self" in my stats book.

And while part of my current story takes place in or around the football stadium, another setting involves the beach. Sometimes I go to the beach simply to be with my characters. Okay, that’s a total lie – we all know I go to get my tan on, but I do sit and stare at the ocean, get inspired by the crashing waves, the salty air, the texture of sand between my toes. The crazy kids (and adults) playing in the ocean. The adorable little girl collecting in her pail every seashell she finds. Sometimes I just kick back and imagine what my characters might be doing. And then I go home and write about them.


3) Talking about my story with critique partners or writer friends or my husband or my closest betas. I get very juiced and rejuvenated when I gush about my passions.





4) Taking a walk. This not only works my body. It also exercises my mind.






5) My children. My students. So many of them have unknowingly (ha) inspired a character or a quirk or a “look” or a name. They are my perpetual muse. And I heart them completely.

How about YOU? What inspires you to write?

16 comments:

  1. Those are great!
    Sometimes when I'm vacuuming or folding laundry, my mind will drift and I can get some ideas. Sometimes I lay down and close my eyes and let my mind drift too (with a pad and pen next to me) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that brain riding an exercise bike will be forever seared into MY brain.
    These are all great sources for inspiration- my list is different, but many of the things on your list inspire me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running and music always inspire me. So does talking to old friends from my hometown/HS. And I get plenty of opportunities to people watch where I live, and that is a gold mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do several of those things, too! I can't exactly visit my settings (hahaha) but I love to take walks, talk to cps and bother my mom about my story, and re-read favorite scenes. I also listen to music, or start reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your 'perpetual muse' line. That is so true about our kiddy-winkles :) (I think that's a Yorkshire term btw). Love the brain cycling, I wish mine would try that lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! Students are a really great source of inspiration for sure. Sometimes it's completely off-the-wall wacky, but definitely useful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I love rereading my work. It reminds me how much I love the story and characters. And I definitely find inspiration in the people around. Little things people say or do. I knew a couple where the husband called his wife Kid and I threw it into a story because it's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great inspirations. I reread to get in the mood too, and "steal" from things I overhear kids say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long car trips (when I'm not driving) cure any bit of writers block or writing snags. Or airplane rides. Disconnect me from the internet, sit me in a comfy moving seat and I can write for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent choices! Talking about my work is always inspirational for me too... makes me like it all over again! And exercise is always my in-a-rut fallback.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! Talking about my work always gets me jazzed up to write too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My brain goes crazy with characters, plots, twists and turns while I drive. I'm blessed (or cursed - you decide) with a 17 month old that WILL NOT nap unless I put him in the car, turn on the slow jams, and drive! So for about 2 hrs a day, I am on the road and it is some of my best thinking time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list. Love that you spent time at the beach for inspiration. I made sure to get to a lake as often as possible this summer to swim, relax and read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stillness inspires me, and weeding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list! Re-reading my work inspires me too. Sometimes I'll revisit a story that I've put to rest and I'll get inspired to revise it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello there, how are you?? I hope you are well.
    I'm just taking time to drop in from Alex's blog hop. Great to "meet" you! *Waving* I'm a new follower.
    Hugs Eve.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!