Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pay It Forward Blogfest! And Some Friday Fun!

Alex Cavenaugh and Matt of the QQQE are hosting a Pay It Forward Blogfest! The idea is to introduce others to three bloggers you find awesome. Here’s how it works: In my post, I’ll list, describe, and link to three blogs that I enjoy reading. Then YOU can visit them! Fun!

PS - just so you know - this was super hard. I can’t just pick three! But I had to and so I did. And here’s why I chose these fabulous blogs.


Katy Upperman: If you want beautiful writing, awesome book reviews and recommendations, inspiring pictures, clever and insightful posts, and just incredible motivation, visit her site. She blogs several days during the week and is just a super fabulous person. I'm so glad I've gotten to know her on my writing journey.

Jennifer Hoffine: Another super awesome writer friend who has MANY insightful words of wisdom about the publishing industry, writing, and really good books. And she hosts these AMAZING once-a-month contests that are super easy to enter. I've already won several ARCs and look forward to participating (and maybe winning!) each month.

And I'd be remiss (and a total FOOL) if I didn't pay it forward to YA Confidential. I may be biased, but the blog is full of awesome. We have teen spies that contribute to posts on a regular basis, we sponsor book giveaways every Thursday, and my writer friends who contribute to the blog rock!. Check out YA Confidential: All things teen, all the time.

So, check out these awesome blogs. You won't be disappointed. Trust me.


And it’s Friday Fives over at Paper Hangover! This week they’re looking for my five favorite childhood books. Well, far be it from me to follow the rules. I can’t remember many books I read during my childhood, so I’m choosing five I love now!



Knuffle Bunny. Seriously the best children’s book EVER.




Are You My Mother? I’ve read this to both my children SO many times in various voices and I never tire of it.






Anything Junie B. Jones. She’s a hilarious little whipper snapper. So, so funny. And my son has a friend who is so much like Junie B. She walks in a room and I laugh!







No, David! (and anything by David Shannon). These books were written for my husband. I SWEAR.





Little Critter (Mercer Mayer). Short, sweet, and totally adorable. I could read those over and over again.






And finally I leave you with a new discovery in the Miller household: Cleverbot

Try it. Type in a question. Or a statement.

You’ll be on that site for hours.


So, any blogs YOU frequent that I should know about? What are YOUR favorite children's books?

31 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog suggestions. I will check them out!
    I can't remember what my favorite books were either when I was a child so I will list my top three current favorites.

    1. And to Think That I Saw it On Mulberry Street by Dr. Seuss. The story's character has an incredible and creative imagination!

    2. Topsy Turvy Bedtime by Joan Levine. It puts a whole new perspective on bedtimes for kids!

    3. First Day Jitters by Julie Danneberg. This is something that everyone can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found out about that blogfest, sounds great. Thanks for sharing new blogs, have a great weekend, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are adorable! Of course I included you in MY Pay It Forward post. :)

    Ah, Junie B. Jones. She is something like a rockstar in my house. My daughter LOVES her. Great childhood favorite choices, Alison!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alison. Thanks so much for joining in on our little blog party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices on the Pay it Forward blogs - they're definitely awesome!

    As for the book choices, I had the opposite problem. I couldn't narrow my childhood faves down to only five lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent pay it forward choices, and I LOVE all of your books. SO SO Good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mercer Mayer! Love him!
    YA Confidential is a great new blog; I've been having fun reading about its teen spies. I love Katy's and Jennifer's blogs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cleverbot might be my new favorite thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. I heart Katy Upperman so much. Nice choice.
    2. YA Confidential is my new fave blogspot and even though I don't always comment, I read it EVERY day.
    3. Knuffle Bunny and all Mo Willems' books are my 4yo's favorites.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude, cleverbot just said it wants to date me. o_O WTHeck?! LOL This is hilarious, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Little Critter books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are all new to me! Thanks for participating in our blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, GREAT choices! How could I have forgotten Little Critter? LOVE. And somehow, I went my whole childhood without owning Are You My Mother, but my best friends had a copy and I would insist on dragging it out every time I went over there.

    Mo Willems and David Shannon are more recent finds, from when I taught Fives at summer camp a few years ago. Knuffle Bunny is my favorite, because I had basically that exact toy (well, Angel Bunny, but close enough) and left it at a car dealership because living upstate, we had a lot more experiences at car dealerships than laundromats. But my go-to baby gift now is a Pigeon book. It doesn't get more hilarious than Pigeon, plus it's great for teaching young school-age kids about reading aloud and punctuation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the links! :)

    I don't remember my favourite kids books either, but I love the ones you mention and Jelly Belly by Dennis Lee and Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the links - I have been checking out lots of new blogs lately (including yours)! I have purposely stayed away from Cleverbot because of my propensity for wasting time just on regular websites, not to mention ones that have bots that are clever! Also... Little Critter = love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Will check out the blogs suggestions, great blog you have here too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad I found your blog on the PIF blogfest! Great links, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great choice of blogs, especially YA Confidential. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jumping around this blog fest and found your blog. I love those children's books! Nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the links! And I LOVED Are You My Mother!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great recommendations all around, Alison! Great bloggers. I'm such a huge fan of the No,David books, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wasn't familiar with YA Confidential and just joined that blog as well. Nice connecting with you today, Alison! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. My children loved Are You My Mother? Thanks for reminding me. Also, thanks for visiting my blog!

    Monti
    NotesAlongTheWay

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the great links! And I used to LOVE the Little Critter books, AND Are You My Mother... aww.. thanks for bringing back some great memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post! I absolutely love the book No, David! I read it to my kids all the time (I don't think they got the hint...lol).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great picks! I followed you over. I'll have to check out the others, too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the blog suggestions.
    My kids LOVE the critter and Are You My Mother too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i missed the pay it forward hop, so stopping by fashionably late! nice to meet u :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!