Wednesday, October 19, 2011

RTW: In the Name of Love

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This Week's Topic:

What's your numero-uno reason for writing?



Easiest question EVER.

I write because I LOVE it.

There is nothing like the feeling of being in the zone, totally immersed in a different world, completely attached to my babies, my loves. And there are so many times when I’m writing when I don’t. Want. To stop. There is nothing like having images and ideas and dialogue and SO MUCH AWESOMENESS zap you at any minute, hour, second of the day. Characters that are STILL with me even when I haven’t “talked” to them in months. Stories and ideas sticking in my head twenty-four/seven. The rush that comes after a productive writing session.

The thrill of reading back over something I’ve written.

The high that lingers for days.

I’m not going to lie to you. Writing is hard work. There are days I stare at a blank screen, maybe typing two sentences in an hour. Days where I revise the same chapter fifty times and have to break from it. There’s a lot of blood, sweat, and tears that go into writing, into revisions—killing off characters I’ve grown attached to, cutting scenes I fell in love with, losing that killer line because it just doesn’t work anymore.

But I even love all that. It can be excruciating and heart-breaking. And the scary possibility is that despite all my efforts, I may never find an agent or a traditional publisher. But I will continue to write. It’s the passion that sustains me, that drives me. That keeps me sane in my crazy hectic world.

I won’t give that up. I’d be breaking my own heart. About a katrillion times over.

So, how about YOU? What’s your primo reason for writing?

23 comments:

  1. I'm like you, there is nothing better than reading back something that I've written and LOVING it and wondering what recess of my brain did this amazing thing come from!

    I'm also scared that I'll never find an agent, but I don't focus on that and write just because of the love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I totally agree with you. I love writing. (Ok, maybe not always, but most of the time). And there is nothing like that high that comes from reading back something you wrote and realizing that it's actually quite good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I won’t give that up. I’d be breaking my own heart."

    Love this, Alison. I totally feel the same way. I just love writing far too much to ever give it up. Fabulous take on today's prompt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely relate to what you say about characters lingering beyond the page, becoming alive in your head--like they're real people. Excellent stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. And not just the characters, but the places, too. I can remember the houses in stories I've written like they're places I've actually been and spent years in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post today. I love reading about the love of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well put! Writing is my drug of choice too..The highs are so worth the lows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally. I love being sucked into a story and not wanting to stop writing. And the feeling of reading something you wrote is almost magical. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love! (I thought it was easy peasy to answer, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup, definitely agree! Love, or maybe because I need an excuse to listen to the voices in my head?

    ReplyDelete
  11. "It can be excruciating and heart-breaking. And the scary possibility is that despite all my efforts, I may never find an agent or a traditional publisher. But I will continue to write."

    Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you've touched upon the pleasure and the pain of writing. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So right - there's nothing like the feeling of being in the zone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...the voices in my head don't give me a choice.

    (Haha kidding...mostly. Love, obviously, and probably more than a bit of insanity!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. If jogger's high lasted as long as the writing high I'd be in so much better shape.

    Your entire post said exactly why I write.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this. You totally nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Because I love to create stories for others to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Alison--stop by this post if you like--I've tagged you for a blog award! http://readingontheftrain.blogspot.com/2011/10/what-was-i-just-saying-about-this.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your reasons and agree wholeheartedly. And that makes me think of the Exttreme song lol.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!