Wednesday, October 26, 2011

RTW: October Love

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This Week's Topic:

What was the best book you read in October?



Off the October TBR list:

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris

Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz

The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger

First Draft in Thirty Days by Karen Wiesner

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff (currently reading)


I think you’ll agree I read some pretty awesome books this month: Daughter of Smoke and Bone (more on that Friday), Invincible Summer (only one that merited five Good Reads stars from me), Imaginary Girls... Yep. My October reading list rocked.

But the best book I read this month?





In this funny, uncannily wise portrait of the dynamics of a sixth-grade class and of the greatness that sometimes comes in unlikely packages, Dwight, a loser, talks to his classmates via an origami finger puppet of Yoda. If that weren’t strange enough, the puppet is uncannily wise and prescient. Origami Yoda predicts the date of a pop quiz, guesses who stole the classroom Shakespeare bust, and saves a classmate from popularity-crushing embarrassment with some well-timed advice. Dwight’s classmate Tommy wonders how Yoda can be so smart when Dwight himself is so clueless. With contributions from his puzzled classmates, he assembles the case file that forms this novel.

Yoda?

Uh-huh. Yoda.

Beat out Chase, Chloe, even Karou, Yoda did. LOL funny, it is. Depicts perfectly that awkward stage called middle school, it does.

October is always a month where my life is not my own, I play fifty different roles to fifty hundred people, over-impose on babysitters, and don't sleep a whole lot. In a month where sometimes things get so crazytown, I literally struggle to breathe, this quirky wad of fun uplifted me, made me laugh snort with every Tommy "case file," and was just so simple and fun and...re-read tonight, I will.

And it's Yoda, people. I can STILL recite every Star Wars movie verbatim. Han Solo's Never Tell Me the Odds is my daily mantra. I buy Star Wars Legos for my son myself and made my son dress up as Obi Wan for Halloween last year. Dude. Of course it's going to be my favorite book this month.

So, how about YOU? What's your fave October read?

26 comments:

  1. :D This is going straight on my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so much about this book, but forgotten it lately! Thanks for reminding me, I'm definitely going to grab it for a read soon. I <3 Yoda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recommendation. My son - who normally doesn't like to read - just bought the second one "Darth Paper..." He insists I read Yoda first though. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yoda - the title alone makes me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness... how have I never heard of YODA? Definitely adding it to my TBR list... thanks for the rec, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished THE REPLACEMENT (p.s. it's not too scary, you could handle it!) and I think it was my favorite October read. Although DEARLY, DEPARTED is supposed to come in the mail today, and I'll probably finish it before October ends, so maybe I'll have something new battling for the favorite since I'm so excited to read it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen this book on school book orders...sounds like I need to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son is about to turn 13 and I think he would enjoy this. Thanks, Alison! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another one that read Daughter of Smoke and Bones ... jeez I'll have to put it first on my TBR list ;)
    And Yoda, now, I want to read that one that too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'll have to read this one! A few years ago my two boys were R2D2 and C3PO, I was Leia, and my hubby was Han Solo for Halloween. Share the same passion, we do :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard of this book, but didn't even consider reading it until your review. I have added it to my son's (ahem, MY) reading list. Read this week, we must!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My #1 was Imaginary Girls. For sure. But I am intrigued by Origami Yoga. Very, very intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to read Oragami Yoda. It looks like such a good book. I'm currently making my R2-D2 costume for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Origami Yoda wins on the basis of title creativity alone, if you ask me. May the force be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like so much fun! A colleague of mine just asked for recs for his kids, so I'll definitely pass this along.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so epic! I lurve Star Wars so much!! I drink out of a Star Wars coffee cup and My Other Transport is the Millennium Falcon. (sticker on my car, haha) Such a cute idea for a book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still have yet to read Bad Taste In Boys! And of course, Daughter of Smoke and Bone is waiting as well (so many good books in my TBR stack!).

    But I'm definitely gonna have to check out Origami Yoda - that sounds ha-larious!

    Great post, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  18. sounds like something i need to read. *jots that down*

    i've heard great things about imaginary girls and bad taste in boys

    and INVINCIBLE SUMMER = AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
  19. Origami Yoda sounds really interesting, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha! the Yoda book sounds very cool and funny, perfect for MG. I'm with you--liking and reciting from Star Wars. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Daughter of Smoke and Bone will end up on my To-Read list, but Yoda sounds like SO much fun! I really love the cover too. Cute and handsome it is, yes. I dig me some Yoda.

    My pick was Hunger Games, since so many people had already read it and raved about it. I was surprised how much I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woah. You did not read all those books in Oct? Seriously? Dannnnnng woman!

    Yeah that Yoda book looks HILARIOUS. My Star Wars-obsessed bf would approve. Actually I think I showed it to him and he rolled his eyes from his throne of geekdom.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I bought Origami Yoda from my son's book order last month. Hopefully I will get to it in November and can convince him to read it too.

    My favorite October read was When You Reach Me. I'm reviewing it on Monday on my blog. One word for it, WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've heard so many good things about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That book sounds amazing. It's on my TBR pile now. Love Yoda, I do!
    Also, I gave you an award! Drop by my blog to see! Exclamation points!!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!