Wednesday, October 5, 2011

RTW: Side Kick Super Star


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.



This week's topic:

What supporting character from a YA book would you most like to see star in their own novel?



Let’s see if you can find the common thread running through my choices.





Hassan: Big, lazy, funny, but extremely loyal. He’s the perfect complement to Colin’s seriousness. And I want to see him get the girl. And be loved as much as I love him. A book about Hassan would be off-the-charts HILARIOUS.


PS – would also bowl over other book-loving moms for a novel about the Colonel (Looking for Alaska) or Tiny Cooper (will grayson, will grayson) or Ben Starling (Paper Towns). Similar reasons.



Peeta (Hunger Games) Would just love to get inside his head – when he allies himself with Cato, when he declares his love for Katniss, when she snubs him. When she doesn’t.

And he deserves a whole book because he’s Peeta. That is all.




Neville Longbottom (Harry Potter): I would love to watch his transformation from skittish Hogwarts nerd to Mr. Valiant.





Cash Sterling: He is THE typical guy. Okay, maybe not completely, but when he kisses Lissa and then doesn’t call her because he doesn’t think she wants him to? Twice? Grrr.



Kody Keplinger does an amazing job of getting the reader inside character’s heads that aren’t the mc, but I really want to hear HIS story.




Iggy: He can fly. He’s blind. And he can make a mean chicken cordon bleu. And he likes to blow things up. Yeah. He needs his own series.






Notice what they all shared? Yep. A Y-chromosome. But I do have one female I’d love to see featured in her own story.



Jessica Gaither: She’s so naïve and bouncy and I just want to protect her from all the mean girls. And sprinkle love potion on her when she’s dancing with Harrison. And I would LOVE to see the transformation from gopher freshman to slightly more confident upperclasswoman.





Oooh! Make that two! I would love to see a book about Queen Josephine and her Drunken Merry Band of Bodacious Pirates. Get on that, Libba Bray! I want a sequel to Beauty Queens!



There are so many more supporting wonderfuls popping into my head. I could go on (and on and on), but I'll be quiet now.

How about you?! What supporting character from a YA book would YOU most like to see star in their own novel?

24 comments:

  1. Yes to Beauty Queens and double yes to Neville!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *chants* Neville, Neville, Neville! Such a BAMF, who could resist either of those faces? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A novel about the Colonel would be GENIUS! You have some great choices. Peeta's a good one, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Hassan is an interesting choice. It's one of those things that would be fantastic or backfire. Neville would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to all of these! Fantastic choices, particularly the Colonel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Luna Lovegood! (One of my only beefs with Harry Potter is that it's pretty stereotypical in terms of male/female roles in society.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. An Abundance of Katherines is next on my "To Read" list (the book is literally on my desk waiting its turn). Thanks for not giving any spoilers! I thought of Peeta from Hunger Games, but he wasn't ultimately my choice. And for the rest, well you're just deepening my relationship with Amazon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neville is a great one! I feel like Peeta is actually low on my list of HG characters who need their own book--we know so much more about him than about most of the others. How did Effie get stuck toiling away in D12? What made Madge so quietly cool? (But let's be real--I would read anything new and Panem-related.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this, Alison! Such a great roundup of neglected characters. And I'm with you on your vote for Neville Longbottom. That boy deserves a moment in the spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd definitely on Team Neville! I'd love to hear more from him too! And Peeta :)

    Great post!
    - http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, Neville! I love that he rocked out the last book. And he got so hot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting question/concept! I like your answers, though I'm not familiar with a few of the books. I did really like Peeta's character. I think Luna in Harry Potter would be a fun one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Neville was my second choice! I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I chose Neville too! Because he's awesome.
    And Peeta ... oh, sweet, wonderful Peeta. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beauty Queens! Excellent call! I want the sequel of life on the island for our lady of Texas and her pet snake...
    And Neville...ah, Neville. I already posted my true, non-cougar love of him earlier this summer...but, yeah. Love him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. John Green's books always have the best supporting characters who are usually super funny, so great picks there.

    And I'd definitely read a book about Neville. I think it could be titled Pudgy Dork Turned Bad Guy-Slaying Stud.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! So many great choices! I think my favorite of all of yours, though, is Neville Longbottom. He's so fabulous! (Though, I will say: I think ANY of the Harry Potter characters could carry their own novel!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I gotta second what someone else mentioned, Luna Lovegood!

    It would be an epic view inside into the stuff wizards brush off as not real. An anthropologist's (or fangirl's) dream.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe I didn't think of Hassan. Big Daddy would be amazing in his own book!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Goodness. How I have some new books to add to my reading list. There isn't enough hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are all awesome choices. I tend to love friends (sometimes even more than MCs) so I have many, many supporting stars. And one came true, because I wanted to know more about Lola from ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS and now I do!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!