Wednesday, November 23, 2011

RTW: Giving Thanks, um...Again :)



Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.



This week's topic:

What writing or publishing-related thing(s) are you most thankful for?


Since I already blogged about what I'm thankful for on Monday, I almost skipped this week's roadtrip, but I liked the specificity of the prompt, I can remind myself again of how blessed I really truly am (despite life's little heartaches), and well, I HATE missing a Road Trip Wednesday!

Andbutso, here are the writing and publishing-related things I am most thankful for

1) Critique partners, betas...okay ANYONE willing to read my work and help me grow as a writer. I am blessed with so many wonderful people who have taken so much time to give my manuscripts thorough and thoughtful feedback. And to them, I say THANK YOU!

2) My fellow operatives, our Spies, EVERYTHING about the YA Confidential experience! It’s been a fantastic ride with some truly AMAZING people. I look forward to every Google plus hangout and chat and phone conversation and email and ohmygosh ALAMW…*sigh* I hope this thrill coaster never ends.

3) My blogging and writer friends. The insight I gain, the new books I would've never heard of, the friendships I hope will span a lifetime. You all have added to my life in some special, unique way, and I am truly grateful.

4) BOOKS - ohmygosh, there are so many I am thankful for, so many that have helped me grow as a writer, that have inspired me, that have sucked me in for enjoyable hours of unadulterated pleasure. Tomorrow at YA Confidential, you all can see the book I'm most grateful for, but here's just a small sample that have changed me for the BETTER: Hunger Games, Maximum Ride, Harry Potter, The Sky is Everywhere, Looking for Alaska, The Great Gatsby, Perks of Being a Wallflower, anything Ellen Hopkins,...this list seriously could go on and on.

5) Writers conferences - I have met the most amazing people, learned SO much, gained invaluable advice, friendships, and critique partners. If you've never been to a conference, GO. The rewards far outweigh the expense of them.

6)YA Highway, YAtopia, Paper Hangover,...SO many group blogs with killer writerly advice, insightful topics, publishing info, and amazing contests. I have grown so much as a writer and had opportunities with agents and well, I just have tons of FUN.

7) WRITING - for reals. I am so thankful writing stories found its way into my life. Seriously my gravity in a world that keeps me spinning.

8) And I know I told you this Monday, but I am so thankful for YOU, my faithful blog readers. I hope you all have a super wonderful holiday and that your tomorrow is filled with lots of turkey!!!

Speaking of turkey, my children and I made these guys the other night



For the person whose cooking abilities do not extend beyond eggs, spaghetti, and popping nuggets into the oven, um...I think we made some pretty cute turkeys. Of course, all we needed were Fudge Stripes, chocolate icing, Hershey Kisses, candy corn, and red Skittles (or red hots - for the waddle). Kind of hard to mess that up.

So, how about YOU?! What writing-publishing related things are YOU thankful for? Do you make any festive snacks this time of year?

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful lists and so many things to be thankful for! (the turkeys are adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha sounds like we share a similar set of cooking (or lack of) skills. I don't know, though...I could PROBABLY mess up those turkeys. My shining moment was burning ramen noodles, so I'm pretty good at messing up even the easiest foods.

    In specific, since you covered like EVERYTHING I have to be thankful for, I'm also glad that I have people around me who talk about books I never otherwise would want to read. It's how I've found a couple great books that I might otherwise avoid because of the back cover copy or the genre or what have you. I love finding something good in an unexpected place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, those turkeys are a definite win! I'm also thankful for the people I've met via my blog and other blogs who have introduced me to books I would otherwise never have read, and who have taken time to comment on my blog and encouraged me in so doing. That includes you, Alison! Happy Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, great list!
    You didn't take this task lightly lol
    And I agree with you on all your points ;)

    And wow with the turkeys! I would think you're a handy cooker ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a thoroughly thankful post! So many good things on your list that are easy to take for granted, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The turkeys are super-cute. I'm grateful to have fellow teacher-writer-bloggers like you out there--it makes me feel less crazy for trying to do all three! Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those turkeys are freaking adorable! Good job, mama!

    I love this list just as much as Monday's, and can I just ditto all of the things you included that I failed to add to my list?

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't get it over here. But hope you have an awesome thanksgiving. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are fantastic Turkeys. I'm so not one to bake, but I'm definitely having a go at those. Happy Thanksgiving Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm grateful for YA Confidential too! It's so helpful and entertaining. So keep up the good work!
    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!