Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.
This Week's Topic:
How far would you go to get published?
Explanation: We writers can form quite an attachment to our characters and stories. But we also know publishing is a business, and sometimes to make it in said business--to really build a career from it--we have to bend a bit. How far would you go to break into the publishing world?
Things I would do to get published:
1) Major revisions—based on gut feeling, critique partner feedback, or future agent and/or editor request
2) Change my title. Change character names. There are some I WILL fight for though.
3) Persevere. There are times when the “Just give up” bug nips at my mind, but I try really hard to force away those self-doubt thoughts. Instead, I reread my stories or plant my butt in a chair and revise or write something that's totally fresh. And remind myself why I LOVE to write.
4) Lose sleep. Oh wait—I already do that. Correction. Lose more sleep.
5) Compromise my good Christian nature for the sake of a story. Okay, I know that just sounded HORRIBLE so let me give you an example: For three stories, I tried to write effectively without swearing. Okay, maybe an occasional h-e-double hockey sticks, but I can’t do that with my current story and be real to my characters. Or the story itself. Soooo - my WIP has a few (haha) choice words in it. Just a few.
Things I won’t do or will TRY not to do:
1) Totally ignore my family and friends. I know that Mommy time, wife time, friend time has suffered. And I know that if I do land a book deal some day, there will be deadlines I can’t ignore. So, IF I do have to sacrifice some family time, I vow to make up for it—times twenty. (You heard it right here on the blog, people)
2) Give in to trends—mainly because what is hot now may not be so hot two years from now. And I just don't think I can ever write about vampires. Or zombies. Or creatures in general. (But I do like reading about them!)
3) Give up writing YA. I think when you find your niche, you stick with it. And maybe I’m fooling myself, but I’m pretty sure YA is where I belong. (Big kid at heart here!)
4) Compromise for the sake of trends. I write some controversial shiz, people. But there’s just some stuff I won’t write about.
And I'm sure I could make my list longer (especially once I start blog-hopping!), but this is what came to mind.
So, how about YOU? How far would YOU go to get published?
PS - I'm blogging over at YA Confidential today on my preferred Book Drug. Check it out here!
OH!!!!! And don't forget to sign up for the YA Superlatives Blogfest hosted by Katy Upperman, Jessica Love, Tracey Neithercott, and ME! Click here for details!