Wednesday, December 21, 2011

RTW: My Money Pit(s)

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This Week's Topic:

Where do you buy most of your books? No one is judging!


I should be banned from book stores. No, really. SO many places get my book business. I can't walk into any book store without leaving with SOMETHING for either myself or for my children to read. But, I usually only buy when the book's a DEAL. Very rarely have I ever paid full price for a book. So, I shall share my seven money pitfalls and WHY they're so irresistable.


1) Sams Club - they don't carry every book I drool over, but they sell the big ones: Shatter Me, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, my House of Night addictions. And at prices WAY cheaper than any other book seller. I went to buy chicken the other day, almost* left with a five dollar copy of Paranormalcy.

2) Books A Million - for their bargain tables. I've paid no more than $4 for some awesome hard covers like Paper Towns, Jinx, The Sky is Everywhere. $2 for children's books. $1 for Mad Libs. How can my wallet resist?

But *sigh* the doors of my second home closed recently. And reopened as a second hand book store called...

3) Second and Charles - gently used books at over 50% off the cover price?! On my first visit, I picked up hard cover Before I Fall and Jellicoe Road for unbelievable prices. And BOY TOY - a book I checked out at the library and cannot gush enough about - four dollars for a barely touched paper back. And...AND you can sell the store your gently used toss aways. I LOVE this place!

4) Barnes and Noble - this one's a little further of a drive for me, but I enjoy going to this store for the atmosphere, the children's section, the occasional bargain, and the coffee. They're running a buy two get the third free sale on some books I'm dying to add to my can't read fast enough collection (Incarceron, Will Grayson) and I always discover the best treasures in plannners. And their children's section is like whoa.

5) The Book Warehouse - I visit this little slice of book heaven when I shop in Myrtle Beach. Sometimes I don't find much of anything, but in October I snatched a $3 copy of Speak off the shelf. And just the other day I found hard cover copies of Wintergirls and Audrey Wait! AND a signed Lauren Myracle book. Four hard covers for fifteen dollars? LOVE.

6) Half.com - best online place to buy books. It's a subdivision of e-bay with books, movies, and more for at least half the price. The hubs and I used to shop here all the time for textbooks, pleasure books, audiobooks. Great deals.

7) Amazon - I love the ease and convenience of Amazon - especially when I host contests on my blog. They always have what I want, the prices are pretty fabulous, and the shipping is a stress reliever. And I love their email gift cards.

SO, that's where my monthly wages go. How about YOU? Where do you buy your books?

*note the almost. See - I do have a little restraint. Just a little.

22 comments:

  1. I'm just like you. McKay's is our local used book store. Barnes and Noble, Target, Wegmans, Amazon, Literary Guild...those are the main places where I buy books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound a lot like me. If there are books in any store I go into, I have to browse them and almost always walk away with at least one book. The grocery store gets quite a few purchases from me, but I can't help it. They always have a good selection of YA books. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always interested to see what books a store stocks. However, we're not exactly spoiled for choice here, even though I live in a University town. I'm rarely surprised at what our Wal-Mart, Target, and Sam's stocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love browsing bookstores. Here in Brazil I go to bookstores, even knowing I won't buy anything b/c it's in Portuguese and I want to read in English, but just b/c I love bookstores and their atmospheres.
    So nice you have many places to go.
    And, liking or not, Amazon does make everyone's life easier lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Second and Charlie sounds fun...I love and miss big used books stores (we don't have any here in NJ). I'm not into browsing for used books online yet (or I'm afraid of what will happen if I get started), but it's so fun to treasure hunt in a big used bookstore.

    And Amazon email gift certs? I had no idea...sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm I think my hubby would like to get a sign with my picture around the bookstores of the area which states "Wanted! Do not sell books to this woman!"

    You do seem to have a lot of places to go and quite some tricks to get nice deals :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm I think my hubby would like to get a sign with my picture around the bookstores of the area which states "Wanted! Do not sell books to this woman!"

    You do seem to have a lot of places to go and quite some tricks to get nice deals :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a sucker for a good deal too. Especially when it comes to books =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I go to Waterstones. It's the UK's answer to B&N, and they've got some a fantastic offer on at the moment. I rarely go in and walk out with nothing ^^;

    ReplyDelete
  10. Second and Charles sounds cool. The Books A Million place sounds awesome too. I love good deals too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good deals on books are irresistible, but that's only because they aren't meant to be resisted! ;) I love the bargain tables at Books A Million, too. They always have some good picks in there for super-cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the small town where we live our only choice is HASTINGS. There is a SAM's, BOOKSAMILLION and BARNES AND NOBLE about 45 minutes away, but HASTINGS has competitive prices for new releases and a growing bargain book section.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of Half.com, but I need to check it out. A lot of people have mentioned Target and big-box stores like Sam's. I never thought to buy YA books there but I'll have to check next time. I'm always looking for a good deal. $4 to $5 books? You're a great bargain shopper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone talks about BooksAMillion, but there isn't one around me. Womp womp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dang, girl, you can find a bargain! I used to do a lot of used book shopping at the Strand--but then bedbugs took over New York City, and I've been afraid of doing used. Luckily, that's about when I went from "broke grad student" to "teacher who's only broke because she buys so many books".

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was very sad when Borders closed. I always had a coupon from them and never paid full price. I know we should support indie bookstores, but I just can't afford that with the books I purchase. I love Amazon and wish there was a nice used bookstore nearby. I do like Sam's Club too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're right! We do shop at similar places!

    I love your title for this post, by the way. I tried to come up with something clever for mine, but yeah... nothing remotely cute came to mind. Yours is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a lot of options! I mostly just shop Amazon. Our biggest local bookseller (which I used to frequent about once a week)went down last summer. It was sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great list. I've never been to a Books A Million, but I'm very curious about them! I wish my Borders was one of the locations they picked up. :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. What fun to see where everyone shops! Most of my books have come from Goodwill. Before you laugh, I can get them for less than a dollar (some are 38 cents and some are 88). They rarely have the newest "hot" reads, but it's a great way to stock up the shelves without breaking the bank. Otherwise it's Barnes & Noble, Half Price Books or Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There's discounts in the three nearest book stores and I've recently discovered I can buy online from Chapters. I need to discover email vouchers after Christmas. Happy Christmas Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember going to BooksAMillion a long time ago when I lived on the East Coast, but I'm in Barnes & Noble territory now. Fortunately, though, I've found all the used bookstores in town, and the public library has most of the books I want to read...

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!