Friday, December 30, 2011

Superlative Blog Fest! Best In Show



It's the last day of the Superlative Blog fest *cries*

I've hope you've had as much as fun as Katy, Tracey, and Jessica, and I have. If you're new to the blogfest and want to join in the fun, click here for a recap of the "rules" and hop aboard!

And just so you know, I just finished the amazing, awesome, completely brilliant and fabulous Lola and the Boy Next Door and told Katy, Jessica, and Tracey that we needed to start this blog fest ALL OVER so I could give it proper praise. Coolest nerd, quirkiest character, best parental figures, tie for best contemporary and I must must MUST add Cricket Bell to the boys I would date in high school. Seriously delightful read people. I LOVE this book!!!

And now on to today’s topic:

Best in Show

Favorite Cover:







Cutest Couple: Lola Nolan and Cricket Bell (Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins)

They are both just too adorable and way too perfect for each other. Now, if only they’d realize it. ;)


Most Likely to Succeed (Or, pick a Printz Winner): Shatter Me by Taherah Mafi

For the story. The prose. EVERYTHING.


Most Likely to Make You Miss Your Bedtime (The book you just couldn’t put down!): Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Because it did. It’s been a while since I stayed up past midnight to read a book. I didn’t stop until three in the morning with this one.


Best Repeat Performance (Your favorite sequel or follow-up.): Where She Went by Gayle Forman, Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares, and Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

It’s rare and refreshing to read a sequel that outshines its predecessor. These three nailed it.


Romance Most Worthy of an Ice Bath: Mia/Adam (Where She Went by Gayle Forman) and Cara/Dani (Perfect by Ellen Hopkins)

If I say anything, I will spoil the read for you. You will just have to trust me on these choices.


Pair Most Likely to Stay Best Friends Till They’re 80: Zuzana and Karou (Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor) and Emerson/Lillian (Hourglass by Myra McEntire)


Breakout Novel (Favorite Book by a Debut Author): Shatter Me by Taherah Mafi


Best Old-Timer (Your favorite read of the year, published BEFORE 2011.): Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Wins best book I ever read.


Most Likely to Make a Grown Man Cry: Where She Went by Gayle Forman


Most Pleasant Surprise (The best book you didn’t think you’d like, but totally did.): Abandon by Meg Cabot


Most Creative Use of a Love Triangle: The Dark and Hallow Places by Carrie Ryan

Actually a Love Quadrilateral. I’d spoil it if I say more. You’ll just have to read the trilogy!


Sleeper Hit (Book you found so awesome you wish it had been hyped more.): Moonglass by Jessi Kirby


And now it’s your turn! Pick your own superlative category and post it at the end of today’s list. Blog hoppers can drop by and vote for their pick in the comments of your blog!

I couldn’t stop at one, people. Actually my brain would not shut down once I started coming up with new categories, but I left it at three. What would YOUR answers be?!

1) Best LGBT relationship?

Cara and Dani (Perfect by Ellen Hopkins) AND Andy and Nathan (Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins)


2) Character who deserved the biggest hug?

Truman (The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff) Everything seems to go wrong for this poor kid.

AND

Cricket (Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins) I mean, 'cause, who wouldn’t want to hug Cricket?!


3) Favorite pet (or animal/creature):

Total (Angel, a Maximum Ride novel by James Patterson) Talking dog, flies, marries (yes, marries) an Alaskan Malamute. Is the Scottie equivalent of Stanford from Sex and the City. What’s not to love?

AND

Heavens to Betsy (Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins). The name sealed Betsy’s vote with me.

Your turn! What would YOUR choices be? Don't forget to add your name to the linky list if you're participating!




11 comments:

  1. So many books I still need to read :-) and I love it!

    Oh and nice additional categories :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lucky if I get to read a book a month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that cover for Tangled Tides! I've got to read it now. Geez, my TBR list for 2012 is growing by leaps and bounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yet more books I haven't read yet. Nice to know I no longer have to worry about what I want to read...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your additional categories. Oh Heavens to Betsy. Awesome name.

    And a love quadrilateral? I'm intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choices!

    Best LGBT relationship: I loved Merrick and Pango in Tangled Tides!

    Character who deserved the biggest hug: Adam in Where She Went...he REALLY needed a hug at the beginning of that book, poor guy

    Favorite Pet: Heavens to Betsy, for sure. What a great dog name! There needs to be more pets in YA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES, Hunger Games!

    I love your additional categories! SO cute. The character that needed a hug the most in my reads this year was ALAN from The Demon's Surrender. He is deserving of some happiness, dang it!

    And since I'm head over heels in love with The Scorpio Races, I have to say CORR would be my pick for Favorite Pet/Animal/Creature. What he and Sean mean to each other makes me all weak inside.

    Thanks for hosting this great blogfest! It was so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sooooo wanna read by Abandon! Omigod,you have awesome extra categories!!! I wish I could think of some to add...Can I cope out & choose Cole from Forever as my fave creature???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh these categories are fun.

    Best LGBT Relationship - I really liked Kaede and Taisin in Huntress by Malinda Lo. Lola's parents were awesome too.

    Character who deserved the biggest hug - I'll go with Amy in Across the Universe. She's all alone on this crazy spaceship, I think she could use a hug.

    Favorite pet (or animal/creature) - Definitely Betsy in Lola!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Karou and Zuzana's friendship as well. And LOLA... a fabulous follow-up. I knew you'd love it! Great choices as usual, Alison!

    1) Best LGBT relationship?

    Andy and Nathan (Lola and the Boy Next Door)


    2) Character who deserved the biggest hug?

    Poor, lonely Sean Kendrick. I *heart* him. (The Scorpio Races)


    3) Favorite pet (or animal/creature):

    Again with Scorpio... Corr, Sean's horse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy to see Sisterhood Everlasting mentioned! I loved that book so much. I was a puddle of tears by the end.

    To be totally honest, I sort of want to give Warner from Shatter Me a hug, because I feel like there's a lot going on there that we haven't seen yet.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!