Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Superlative Blog Fest! Head of the Class

Hope you all had a lovely holiday! Santa spoiled my children - the whole family really. I spent a glorious weekend with my family, playing games, eating too much, and building this.




Yep. Hogwarts really can be built in a day.


Anyhoo I'm super excited because today's the first day in the Superlative Blog Fest!



As aspiring YA authors and enthusiastic YA readers, Katy Upperman, Jessica Love, Tracey Neithercott, and I are all about showcasing and sharing exceptional books. What better way to do that than a blogfest featuring the very best of 2011?

The Class of 2011: YA Superlatives Blogfest is a fun and interactive way to highlight and share your favorite YA novels, covers, characters, and story elements. The Class of 2011: YA Superlatives Blogfest will span four days, beginning today and culminating Friday, December 30th.

The rules for participating are simple:

1. Select books/characters that apply to the superlative topics for each day of the blogfest. Feel free to give explanations for your choices. You can go into as much detail as you like!

2. Add a link to your post on Katy's, Jessica’s, Tracey’s or my blog.

3. Take a few moments to hop around and check out the superlatives of other participants each day.


See? Fun AND easy! But wait, there’s more!

Some additional information:

- Unless otherwise indicated by the topic, stick with books published in 2011.

- Of course we want you to participate in all four days of the blogfest, but if you’re only able to commit to a day or two, that’s cool too!

- Don’t have a book or character to fit a particular topic? No biggie—just skip it!

- For the sake of continuity, focus on YA books only.

- Pretty please keep your posts spoiler free!

Just so you know—I read 85 books this year. Out of those, 2 were craft, three were inspirational, a small handful of adult, and about 70 YA. And of those 70 YA, less than 30 were pubbed this year! 30! It made the choices a little challenging, and sometimes I had to stretch the category a bit, but I had so much fun fitting my faves to a category, I didn’t care! So, without further Alison rambles, here are today’s topics . . . and my pics!

Todays Topic:

Head of the Class



Favorite Dystopian: Shatter Me by Taherah Mafi and Divergent by Veronica Roth







Two killer dystopians pub in the same year and I’m expected to choose. Sorry. Couldn’t do it.



Favorite Science Fiction: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

I don’t know that Myra would place her book in this category(it’s really a time slip romance), but her story is AMAZING and it does contain a wowsome sci-fi element.


Favorite Fantasy: The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff

I’m not typically an angel/demon fan, but this book turned me on to it. Masterful prose, characters for whom my heart twisted, page after page, and a page-turning story.






Favorite Contemporary: Perfect by Ellen Hopkins

Click here. You’ll see why.




Favorite Action/Adventure: Angel (a Maximum Ride novel)by James Patterson

I’ll be honest, I was disappointed in this particular installment, but the series overall sealed my vote on this one. One of my favorite YA/MG series EVER.



Favorite Historical Fiction: The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler

I know. It’s a stretch, but it is set in 1996. And the book is absolutely fantabulous.





Favorite Comedy: Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Read it. Trust me. I read it in the summer and I still LOL just thinking about it.



Favorite Mystery: Ripple by Mandy Hubbard

Really a siren book, but I figured since many novels contain mysteries (and this one has a pretty awesome one), and I loved, loved, loved this book for so many reasons and I wanted to highlight it, so I put it here.


Favorite Romance: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

I cannot, CANNOT gush enough about this book. Adam Wilde stole my heart from page one and never let go. Most powerful male voice, a most scintillating story, and his relationship with Mia - authentic, breath-taking. Titillating.


Favorite Paranormal Romance: Destined by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

It’s House of Night - my brand of book crack. How can I not choose it?



Favorite Family Drama: Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz

Great read with an authentic male protagonist. And gives new meaning to the phrase sibling rivalry



Favorite Genre Bender: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Um…can you tell I love this book? It’s time travel, paranormal, ghost, science fiction, mystery. Oh, and there’s this AMAZING main character (Emerson), two…TWO very swoon worthy guys (Michael and Kaleb), and one electrifying romance.

Want to join in the fun?! Add your link below!


20 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a blogfest! Unfortunately, I can't committ to it. I've only recently started reading more YA, and some I read this year were published somewhere in years past. BUT, I will check out these blogs and quite possibly add them to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT was way harder than I thought - I realized that I'm extremely late to debut reads and it took me some time to figure out how to sort my Goodreads. Maybe this wasn't the blogfest for me...lolol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muahahah I love that your favorite fantasy was the book I loaned to you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You read a lot- my total published in 2011 was 13- two were non-fiction, and several were not even YA!

    Love your picks. There are SO many books out there, I love hearing about more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How much does it scare me that The Future of Us is considered historical fiction? Yikes! Looking forward to reading that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the same way...I didn't even consider Future of Us for Historical Fiction, but you're right! It totally is. Haha.

    Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you have The Future of Us as a historical fiction! It is making an appearance on my posts tomorrow :)

    So many books that I haven't read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your list! There are so many books I haven't read. I'm adding to my list now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome choices! I LOVE your historical pick--haven't read it yet, but I really want to. And The Space Between sounds really good--I'm gonna have to add that to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Godvia did that lego set come with a lego letter to Hogwarts?! Even if it doesn't that giant lego turkey is made of pure win.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved hearing your comments on The Space Between. I adored Brenna Yovanoff's first book, The Replacement, so I've been looking forward to reading The Space Between. Just haven't gotten to it yet! Same with Hourglass; I have it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, that Hogwarts castle is aWeSoMe!

    You've got some fantastic books on this list, lady! I really need to read PERFECT and THE SPACE BETWEEN. I've heard fantastic things about both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hourglass got two mentions. That must mean it is a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy! This blog fest looks amazing! I may not be able to participate but I'm definitely going to keep close tabs on this! :) A few of the ones you mentioned are already on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. awesome blogfest. Where she Went is in my top five. Love that book

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haven't read all of these.
    But I remember your post on YA Confidential about HON being your crack lol it's mine too!
    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You put the Future of Us under historical fiction??? Way to make a 40-year-old feel her age! There are a few on your list that I've been meaning to get to, so I think they've just moved up a few spaces in the order.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only book on this list that I've read is Shatter Me, but I've had Beauty Queens and Divergent sitting in my room for awhile...so maybe I should read these next!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many of these I haven't read yet, sadly, and while most were already on my radar there are a few here I didn't know about at all. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the Recommendations. I love trying new books. Thanks Alison for the welcome. Yay! I finally made it. I'm looking forward to campaigning and getting to know each of you. I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!