Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Be Back Soon

The other day I posted about my New Year’s resolutions—how I typically don’t make them, how I like the word GOAL so much better, and this year one of my goals is to look for the silver lining—even when things look utterly black and hopeless—I will X-Ray vision that dark cloud and find some silver lining.


And as far as GOALS go, it’s always been important for me to set realistic writerly ones. One of my goals this year: finish this crazy Franken-novel I’ve been working on and query the beast. I started draft three back in October and am not at all satisfied with my progress. SO in the New Year I RESOLVE to get crack-a-lackin on revisions—supersonic style. And for me, that means some uncomfortable decisions.

With a full time job, tutoring on the side a few days of week, my kid’s practices and homework and dinner and bedtimes and OH WAIT there’s my poor neglected husband, I used to set my alarm for four so I could get up and write. Now, I find that in the hour and a half I have before the rest of my house stirs, I don’t work on my WIP. I read, I respond to emails. I blog. And when I have twenty minutes here, ten minutes there - it's much easier to peruse a couple blog posts or fire off three quick emails than crack open a doc. What I’m not doing as much as I need to: writing. And since I'm a writer, that’s what I really need to be doing. What I want to be doing. I love spending time with my story, my characters. And well, I want to devote some quality time to them.

I don’t know about you guys, but I LOVE blogging. I’m not a devoted tweeter. I get on facebook for maybe ten minutes a day, but man, I can spend some time blogging. I could seriously sit and read and comment on blogs all day long. And writing one? Easy. Peasy. I’ve been trying to stick to a schedule since last summer, and have been doing really well with it. Unfortunately, almost too well. Because that seems to be my mornings. Evenings. And everything in between.

And so, I'm going on a litle blog hiatus. Like a cold turkey blog hiatus.

Zoinks.

I thought about cutting to once a week, just doing the road trip, but I know how that will work out for me—I’ll see all your awesome posts, want to revisit all the time, share on my blog about amazing contests. You know how it goes.

And the hardest part of the cold-turkey-blog-stop decision? YOU. Dude. The friendships I've made through blogging - IN-freaking-VALUABLE. And I think that's why I've postponed this decision for SO long. I am going to miss reading about your lives, hearing amazing news, participating in epic contests.

I will feel very much in the dark.

But my silver lining? My writing. Sorry, guys. I’m going to be a little selfish this month. And devote time to Franken-novel. I know. I’m a bad blogger friend, but he needs me. He needs A LOT of time from me. And I’m resolved to devoting some serious time to him.

So, I’m leaving you. But just for a little while. I’m going to ALA midwinter (CAN’T WAIT!) and will hopefully have ARCs a plenty to giveaway. I’ll be back in February with some super cool contests, an interview, and hopefully a gihugic progress update.

And if you REALLY miss me, I’ll be posting from time to time over at YA Confidential. Or just pop over there anytime Monday through Saturday. There’s always something super fabulous going on.

Okay, that’s all for January. I’m off to revise the WIP.

As Fagin and his gang of Oliver Twist fame would say

BE BACK SOON!

21 comments:

  1. Oh gawd I'm the same!! I was literally just talking to my live-in boytoy (I don't know why I just called him that other than it's hilarious if you saw him) how I need to quit reading everyone's blogs for hours instead of writing.

    Let's do it, Alison, let's go on a blog diet together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's perfectly understandable. Good luck with your hiatus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand. I only blog 2 times a week but visit about 10 blogs a day out of the 144 I follow. On Friday and Saturday nights I sit and read as many blogs I can. But yeah, the WIP comes first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Alison! Happy writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to do what's right for you, and we all know what a toll blogging can become. Good luck with your writing! I'll be here when you get back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand and actually kinda, sorta blogged about the same thing today, though I'm not taking a blogging break. Yet. I don't think. Life is busy! I need to write more. Good luck on your GOALS, and we'll see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw! I'll miss your blog posts! Yours is one of my favorite blogs to visit. But yes, take that hiatus and work on AWESOME novel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for putting writing first! Have a great hiatus, and I'm looking forward to posts on your progress afterward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a good decision. We will miss you, of course, but the writing should come first. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All right then, we'll see you when we see you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a hard decision, I know, but definitely worth it. Good luck with the writing, see you next month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Real life is lame, right? I also made it my goal to query this year, and the thought of getting my WIP in good enough shape to do that, while trying to do OMGALLTHETHINGS is making my head spin. Although, I haven't yet been strong enough to take a blog break, so more power to you. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The work must come before play. Bravo for sticking to your guns and trying to get back to the writing! It's not farewell or good bye, merely until we meet again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally understandable. I'm about to write book 2 like a mad woman so I will prob take a hiatus from blogging soon too.

    See you on the flip side!

    ReplyDelete
  15. get a crack-a-lackin ... ha. You can do it!! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have fun. I'll be wading through your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck with the writing! I know that this will be a hard decision for all of us, but if it's for the sake of your writing, you made the 'write call' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everyone needs to do this every once in awhile. And it will feel good when you know you've gotten to some of your goals! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Don't feel bad. Your writing should come before blogging! That's why you blog, yes? So no guilt allowed, missy.
    But we will miss you! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just popping over to say hello and hope you are well. Happy Writing :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!