Monday, January 2, 2012

Silver Lining

The Wednesday before Christmas, I got rear ended. Stopped at a red light, eight cars in front of me, this dude’s not paying attention and slams into my back end. No worries. I’m fine. It was fine. I mean, yes. My back end is toast and it was a little inconvenient, and I probably could've spent my Christmas break cursing the injustice of it all, but I didn’t. I was weirdly okay with it.


Here’s why.

1) Everyone was fine. My kids, my mom. Everyone in the other car—FINE. Could have been so much worse.

2) It happened while I was on Christmas break. I didn’t have to go to work the next day. I didn’t really have to go anywhere. And I had the time to make necessary phone calls, take the car to the body shop, get a rental. Had this happened any other time of the year, I might be a bit more stressed about the whole thing, but it happened at a most convenient time.

3) And I know this is horrible to say, but if my kids have to experience an accident, this is the one. Yeah, they were scared and crying and I HATED that, but now they sort of know what to expect.

4) I had my accident on a Wednesday. Did not pick up a rental car until Tuesday. I went six days without a car and lived to tell about it. In the near future, I may find myself without a car. Great lesson in living without. And I learned I don’t really need a car. Well, not too often anyway.

5) And the rental car? Town and Country with all kinds of cool goodies and gadgets and heated seats and ohmygosh HEATED SEATS. It’s amazing what little things will make you feel like the Princess of Euphoria.

Yeah, okay. So the accident was a little inconvenient. And it was not at all my fault. I could’ve been all Negative Nancy about it but really, people. What good does that do? And as I was thinking about the New Year’s resolutions I always make and break, I decided this year to try what was so easy for me over the Christmas holiday: find the silver lining. Some times this will be easy. Many times this will probably be my most challenging resolution yet. But I’m going for it.

Happy New Year, peeps. May you have a wildly productive and successful 2012. And may you be able to look for the silver lining. Even when everything looks dark and dingy and completely and utterly black, the silver lining's there somewhere. See if you can find it.

How about YOU? Make any New Year’s resolutions this year?

24 comments:

  1. Wow, I absolutely love your positive attitude! And I'm glad that accident did not spoil your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year back! Glad you're okay. Kids are fine.

    My goals: Get SS finished for publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year :-)
    Great lesson and wonderful resolution...I´ll try my best to do the same (especially as I usually work myself up when the train is later/cancelled :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year! Great message and glad you are all well :)
    My resolution is to get really specific about my goals this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great resolution/goal for 2012 and is one that I just might have to consider as well. I tend towards negativity more often than I'd like, so finding the silver lining is probably a good thing. Hope your 2012 is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year!

    I'm glad no one was hurt during the accident.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry you had an accident so close to the holidays--but your attitude is admirable. I'm really going to try to dampen my negativity tendency in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I absolutely love your positive attitude! It can totally turn a bad situation into a good one; it's all how you look at it. I am glad no one got hurt. I hope you have a wonderful 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad everyone was safe!

    Great attitude! Enjoy the heated seats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great attitude! I'm glad everyone is okay...accidents are always really crappy. But you really did make the most of it.

    Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Accidents suck. Glad to know everyone is okay. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic attitude you have! Glad you or your family wasn't hurt.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad everyone is okay. Great outlook :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad everyone was okay and that you have such an amazing attitude to find the good in what could have been a bitter experience. You're a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is good to look at a bad situation in a positive light. I think it is great you did that. I want to diet and exercise more this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an incredible perspective! Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great perspective on a tough situation. I'm glad everyone was okay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are enviably positive, Alison! So glad you and your family are okay! And you're right--no matter how bad things seem, they can always get worse. A lesson I learned very soon after I became a military wife. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to hear everyone survived the accident. I wasn't a fan of any of the rear-enders I've been in. Also, good luck with your resolution. I have problems finding the silver lining so I know how this can be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ai yai yai, glad it all worked out and you're right, the minor ones are a big relief! We still haven't settled the one I was in 2010 (also a rear-end on my car) ::shudder:: so I'm looking forward to 2012 as the year I can finally put it behind me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great attitude Alison! Happy New Year and glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do believe optimism and positive attitude oozes from your pores! You will do me good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad you're okay! That happened to me last April with my 5-y-o in the car. Same thing - rear-ended, not my fault, we were all okay. And the people in the van that hit me were actually really nice and really concerned, so I know what you mean about this being the one to happen to your kids. Great attitude to take into the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad it was just a fender-bender and no one was hurt! Definitely a silver lining (along with the heated seats in the rental LOL)

    I have general goals for 2012--more writing, more reading, and getting a publisher!! Should be a good year.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!