Wednesday, February 15, 2012

RTW: Dropping the P-Bomb



Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This Week's Topic:

Kate Hart has it on good authority that Kody hates the word "panties," and Steph can't stand "supper."

What words do you absolutely hate? Which ones do you adore?


Words I adore?

I’m a word whore. Whenever I see a word like harangue or cacophony or anomaly, I latch onto it and beat the bloody heck out of it in a manuscript. Kidding. But I do have some favorites. Here are just a few

maladroit

assiduous

undulate

acerbic

licentious


And my all-time fave

conundrum

But I also like word sandwiches. I think anyone who’s read this blog even once will attest to the fact that gihugic has to be the most fantabulously created word out there. I also like boregasm (I’ve used this once or twice a lot) I’m also very into saying chill. And since I’ve been writing from a guy’s POV this past year and a half, junk and bro have infiltrated the ranks of favorites.

Um…I have a lot of favorite words. (Bet you couldn’t tell)

But words I hate?

I teach. In the past twenty years I’ve overheard conversations that should make my skin feel like I have bugs underneath it. For approximately fifteen Fridays every fall, I am right there on the sidelines with football players who do not know how to communicate their discontent without dropping a few a lot of F-bombs. My husband is an old school Animal House frat boy. I watch a lot of movies with Vince Vaughn and Will Ferrell. There’s not much I’m uncomfortable with.

So, it’s funny this road trip topic comes up this week because I wrote a word in my manuscript the other day that makes me cringe and want to curse every man on the planet every time I read it. It’s not the C-word which I will nevereverneverevernever use ever. But it’s close. I’ll give you a hint: it starts with a P and is synonymous with a female cat. Are you there yet?

*shudders*

If you’ve ever been around a bunch of high school football players when they’re losing, um…this is their word of choice. I hear it many other times. And it doesn’t particularly bother me a whole lot to hear other people say it. But me writing it?

*SHUDDERS*

I. Just. Can’t. Use it. It may be realistic, but yeah, okay…gotta draw the line somewhere.

So how about you? What words do you adore? Any that are cringe worthy?

Oh, and since I made you suffer through two paragraphs about that shudder-some word, let me point you to my ARC giveaway (click here). It’s open internationally and I’m giving away ARCs of Pandemonium, Froi of the Exiles, and more! Giveaway ends this Friday.

46 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. haha - guilty. I use that one from time to time. :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh. You're right, that p-word is an awful word. I don't have as much of a problem hearing it, but I CANNOT say it. Or write it. It feels so so wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that word as well! I think most women do. So offensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's funny the words that will send the cringe-o-meter to the roof. Yikes.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I so want Pandemonium!!! I don't know the other yet, but I'll get over there and check it out! I love giveaways and plan to do one myself soon.

    I also have to go look up some of those words you mentioned LOL. I love cacaphony though. Love it.

    And yeah...I understand you hating that word. It's not one of my favorites either, but it's not one I absolutely can't stand.

    I hate panty. Another"p" word. I hate it. I do not wear panties, I wear underwear, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pandemonium!! Love it.

    This post made me smile...words are so much fun. Perhaps we need word whore tees?Like a billions shades of color to choose from, depending on which word you use in a scene.

    I love way too many words to dump here but there's one that makes me cringe. It's weird but the word moist just...eck. Even when it's used in conjunction with things I love, like cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, agreed. Moist is most cringe worthy

      Delete
  6. Great words! I like the word magnanimous. And the P-word is definitely a super cringe. In high school, I used the word attitudenal all the time. It's a great word for high school emotions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. attitudenal - awesome. And I love magnanimous!

      Delete
  7. There is so much that is just great about this post! 'Boregasm' totally made me laugh, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to use it. I love your list of words that you like--they're all awesome. As for the p-word. Ick. So gross. I will never ever use that word or the c-word in any situation. Yuck. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaime! I LOVE boregasm and I just had to use it in this las project I'm rewriting!

      Delete
  8. Yep, you picked two of the worst words for me! I really like undulate and cacophony, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I probably used the "p" word to describe cats when I was a child (despite watching "Are You Being Served?" every week). Once I learned that *other* meaning, I don't think I ever used it for a cat again--except perhaps for juvenile laughs when at school. It's not a word I use now. Except perhaps when speaking of the female lead in the Bond movie "Goldfinger." And even then I squirm a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The P word makes me think of James Bond too!

      Delete
  10. What a fun post. I personally like the word colossal. I don't know why, I think it's because of the way my lips make that O shape and the way my tongue pushes against the back of my front teeth when I say it. Weird huh? Actually there are a lot of fun words that make your mouth do weird things. The P word does nothing for me in that sense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, conundrum is a great one! And yeah... your least favorites are some of my least favorites as well. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, conundrum, maladroit, and anomaly find their way into many an ms. Love those words!

      Delete
  12. O.o

    The p-word. Yeah...that's a cringer alright. That and the other p-word make my eye twitch when they're used. Of course, I hear them a lot as well as a college student. Yucky.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tag, you're it! You've been tagged in a game of 11 Questions being passed around by the Platform-Building campaigners. You can pick up your questions at this link: www.danieltoddnoyes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I love tag! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add that my guy and I both work(ed) in a certain male-heavy industry where the f-bomb was dropped in the workplace as regular speech. We're just desensitized :D

      Delete
  15. While there are very few things I'm fazed by anymore (thank you, teenage boys), I'm with you on the whole not being able to use certain things thing. And that particular p-word is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...there aren't too many words that will make me cringe. But that's one of them.

      Delete
  16. Oh, maladroit is such a good one. My dad says that all the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - maladroit ALWAYS finds a way into my stories. Love that word.

      Delete
  17. I adore gihugic! And the p- word: ugh. Yuck. I'm not going to say any word should be banned, but if one were to ban a word that might be a good candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love word mixes too...and licentious...that is a good one.

    I don't like that "p" word either, but the one that really makes me shudder is "genetalia"...yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ew. Yeah, you're right. That g word gave me the willies.

      Delete
  19. Somehow, I find the 'p' word even more offensive than the 'c' word. While the 'c' word is more crass, it also has more power in it, which I can own (like the 'b' word).

    Yeah, I hate the 'p' word, too...

    ~Kathy B.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG that word drives me crazy too! So does the "C" word, unless followed by "punt." (That's a long FB story, but that is my only exception to using it.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Allison. I'm in you campaign group and guess what? YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED. Follow the link to get your questions:
    http://juliedaines.blogspot.com/2012/02/ive-been-tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Neanderthal. There's always at least one guy around acting like one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm rather fond of the word "discombobulate."

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't really have problem with reading p-word in books, but if I read too much in one page... ewww. I can't even picture myself writing it, since I don't even swear! Oh my pure self! :P

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh dear, I think you would not do well editing erotic romance:)

    My favorite word: simplicity
    My least favorite word: moisture (ick)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Words ... LOVE THEM. :) haha

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooo fun! Love this.

    I tagged you in question tag. You can get your questions at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the word macular. It's so crisp and fun to say. I also love darkling. I'm ... not sure why? I just do. Also, vivacious and effervescent top the list.
    And the p-word is terrible, though I agree not as bad as the c-word (worst word in the world).

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!