Friday, March 30, 2012

Rejuvenation

Lately I’ve been feeling a lot like this guy.




I took time off from blogging so I could work on my WIP. My thought process: the time I take to write posts or blog hop could be used to revise! I can read a lot more! I can spend time with my family and not have them wonder Who’s that strange person kissing me good night?

Yeah, right.

Just so you know…

I haven’t read a book…in a month.

I’m still stuck on my WIP’s midpoint.

My kids still wonder who I am.

And honestly, with the exception of all my Hunger Games hype (and thank God for that!), I’ve been kind of meh lately. In the little time I have to write, I sometimes have to force myself to do that. I haven’t really felt like blogging.* I haven’t felt like reading. Truth: I haven’t felt like doing much of anything.

I mean, I have been working insane hours, both kids are playing soccer, I spend many weekends traveling, my husband’s in the middle of his soccer season—there’s just a lot going on. And I’ve been so go, go, go that when I do have down time, I freaking crash. Like, I’ve NEVER been so tired. I just don’t feel like doing ANYTHING. And I can’t get excited about a whole lot either.

I don’t know. Maybe I need to quit working so much. Maybe I get blood work done. Maybe I just need Spring break to happen NOW. Whatever the case, I’m in a perpetual state of





And, well…I’m tired of being so…tired.

A few weeks ago I signed up for this.




Wasn’t particularly feeling it when I added my name to the linky, but last year I did the A-Z challenge and I had SO MUCH FUN. I posted about Killer titles and Nerdfighters and why I need to be reincarnated as an Octopus. And, to be honest, when I had a prompt, I didn’t find it very difficult to come up with something to blog about (give me a letter, I give you a blog post!). And, as is always the case, I meet the most fun and supportive and amazing people through these crazy fun blogfests.

So I’m going to try to post everyday in the month of April. I know what you’re thinking—when do you have time to do this?!

I’ll make time. Because guys, here’s what I realized in my few months off. What gets me excited about reading and writing is TALKING to other people about it. The days I spend all day texting back and forth with my writer buddies or chatting about Hunger Games** or emailing back and forth WIP brain spew with my CPs, I may not get a heck of a lot of productive writing done, but I FEEL rejuvenated—enough where my productivity soars for the next few days. The writing community keeps me EXCITED. My writer friends keep me rejuvenated! About writing. About reading. About my passion.

Think about it. Why do we go to writer’s conferences? Why do we go to ALA? Okay, there are SO MANY reasons, but a big one for a lot of us is that WE GET TO TALK ABOUT OUR PASSION. And in April? Dude. I get to do that every day. Here. For a month.

So. A-Z. It’s on. Tune in Sunday. A is for a massive ARC giveaway.


*Frankly, I don’t think you would want me to post a whole lot last month otherwise my blog would seem like it needs a permanent prescription to Prozac. :)

**H will be for massive Hunger Games gush. Just FYI.

16 comments:

  1. I'm a working mom with a kid who swims all the time. So I can totally relate to those times when you feel too busy to blog or write. And that's okay because there are only so many hours of the day. And you're super busy. But maybe get a blood test. At one point when I was so tired it turned out to be a thyroid problem that got better with medication.

    Glad you're doing the A-Z challenge. I'm not but will stop by when I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Natalie! I have the thyroid thing too, but it could still be that. We'll see. Hopefully A-Z will be the medicine I need! :)

      Delete
  2. I love you! Hang in there. I've had a hard time revising my current project as well. Sometimes we're just in a slump - - but I think we have to PUSH through it to get to the better stuff.

    Or ... start a new writing project.

    Or ... maybe you should have bloodwork just to double check. Who knows? Maybe you are low on vitamin D? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel. Sometimes you just get into a funk about blogging, writing, reading. It's tough, but I think you're doing the right thing by trying to motivate yourself. I'll tune in on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading several post talking about this very "meh" feeling not only this season but this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At my school, we call March the Death March. It's such a long month to get through and I usually experience this meh-ness. But April usually turns me around. Especially with Spring break on the horizon!

      Delete
  5. I'm currently feeling pretty meh about the A to Z Challenge (and my writing in general... it's a bad feeling!). But I know that once it kicks off it's going to be loads of fun :-) (Especially since you are doing A for massive ARC giveaway! How awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is loads of fun! And the posts are generally easy to write. There were only a few days last year that I remember feeling, "What am I going to write about?!"

      And I love seeing what others blog about too. I hope you do it too, Rachel!

      Delete
  6. Good luck with A to Z. This is my first year doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great time! And I won a query critique and books through blogger contests. Glad you're on board!

      Delete
  7. I think everybody crashes from times to times. Our bodies/minds can only take so much...and it´s usually when we try to plan "down time" that it happens. Sometimes, I have the feeling I need to re-learn how to relax (and then sometimes I feel like I need to STOP relaxing :D)

    I agree with you that talking about writing and reading with other people passionate about it :D It´s fun, inspiring and encouraging :D

    I´m not doing the A-Z challenge but I´m definitely looking forward to your posts!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'll definitely bounce over to see what you're up to Elodie - even if you're not doing A-Z. :)

      Delete
  8. My whole reasoning behind doing my first ever A to Z Challenge this year...and even co-hosting...was to "change my stars" (that's my mantra lately...ever watch Knights Tale?) Energy begets energy...and during April there will be enough creative energy on display to fuel the Space Shuttle!

    It's on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I almost...almost didn't do it this year, but I'm really getting excited now. I think this is just what we need!

      And so glad you're co-hosting! I'll be by to check out your posts!

      Delete
  9. I feel you on needing a blog rejuvination. That's exactly why I signed up for A-Z! I'm looking forward to your posts (I miss your regular blogging!) and I hope this challenge gives us both the kick we need. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!