Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for FIERCE

Tis the season for a little a lot of Futbol. My husband’s teams practice every day, there’s club training at night. Games two or three nights during the week. I LOVE it. I love watching soccer. I love watching my husband’s girls and boys play soccer, and I try to go to as many of his games as I can. And his girls are good (okay—they’re AWESOME) and they usually win most of their games (check that AWESOME thing), and while I’m glad they win, sometimes the level of play is just kind of…meh.

Last night, my husband’s girls played soccer against their evil arch rival. And it was INTENSE. There were a little a lot too many elbows flying, too much jersey tugging, pushing that maybe possibly definitely should have been called. But I’m glad it wasn’t. This is the soccer I LOVE to watch. When the action’s constant, the teams evenly matched. The level of play FIERCE.

PS—my husband’s girls lost: 2-1. But here’s what they won. They won back an intensity that had been missing, a fierce desire to win, to play their hearts out, and to leave it all on the field. And now they know they need to play every game like that—not just against their rival, not just in the playoffs. EVERY. GAME.

It’s how I aspire to be with my writing. I have days where I’m terribly ho-hum about it—I know what needs to get done and I do it, but I check twitter and facebook and email countless times while I “write” and well, it’s all rather meh. I have days when my crazy schedule won’t allow for more than three minutes of writing time—and sometimes I just don’t write. And then I have days where I’m on fire, I write until my fingers cramp, days when I am so freaking there, I NEVER want to leave my story, do not want to stop writing, want to stop the world for an infinite amount of time so I can just write, write, write.

I had a glimmer of this yesterday. During my planning time, I pulled out a section of my manuscript and started writing and found that I couldn’t stop, didn’t WANT to stop, and I cursed the bell when it rang and my students trickled in to the room. It’s a level of play I don’t always have, and I need it. I want it. And man, when I have it—I’m writer fierce.

I know I need to write like that all the time. Fortunately, the glimmer writing moment still lingers so over my spring break, I’m going to spend time writing. And try to write with that fierce intensity, write my heart out, and leave it all on the screen.

Have YOU had any fierce writing moments lately? Or any fierce reads? Or just any awesome moments of fierceness?

28 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. For the last week or so, I've been so not in the mood to write. Then, all of the sudden, I couldn't stop the other day. I wrote over 1800 words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME!!! I love writing days like that!

      Delete
  2. I do love to write on my blog. My boyfriend calls me 'Clicky' because my fingers are flying. I do way more writing, and jewelry making/crafting when he's on the road though b/c I don't have any distractions. He likes to have the TV on from the minute we get up till we go to bed, and I prefer the quiet. I can tune out the TV but then my boyfriend asks me something or comments on the show and I am in the zone and have no idea what he's talking about. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee. Me too. I think I could blog all day. :)

      Delete
  3. I have days like this - fierce and on fire. I LOVE those. Unfortunately, the "bell rings" like it did for you, and i have to get back to life. Then, by the time I sit down again, the fire isn't really gone, but it's more like embers. Life is exhausting (in the best way - I love a full day), and sometimes my writing suffers because of it. Wish there were more hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO. I need at least thirty if not forty hours in a day. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi, Alison! I love those fiercely productive writing days! I wish that happened every day. But I think the ho-hum writing days make me appreciate the great writing days even more. And sometimes I think it's a lousy day that makes for an awesome writing day later!

    Hope you have fierce weekend with your writing, Alison! Nice to meet you and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I hope to have a FIERCE writing day today!

      Delete
  5. not really, concerning my blogging---hmmmm not really concerning anything---just so so---not used to writing unless i am inspired--but want to finish this project--great pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find the inspiration you need to finish your project!

      Delete
  6. I like that...writer fierce! Sadly, I haven't. My writing has been in tiny little clutches and snatches, but that should change in May.

    I loved watching my son in soccer. He had a natural ability at it. But he broke his arm playing soccer, and when he returned he wasn't the same. I'm hoping he can move past that eventually, but I'm not going to push him (he was 5 when it happened, just turned 7). My daughter's old enough to start this year, so maybe watching her play will encourage him to go back!

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do hope your son gets back into it - I love it for my kids. And that you get lots of quality fierce writing time in May!

      Delete
  7. I used to feel like that CONSTANTLY. But last summer I accidentally left my notebook on a plane while changing flights at Heathrow, and I don't think my heart ever recovered. I miss the intensity, though. I really do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHMYGOSH - that's HORRIBLE. Oh, my heart is breaking, just breaking. I hope you find that intensity again.

      Delete
  8. Writer-fierce is so much better than Tyra Banks' fierceness. ;)

    I've had a lot of those moments, lately, in my writing and more coming. I think I finally allowed myself to accept the responsibility and joy of it all.

    Jessica
    A to Z Blogger & SF/Fantasy Writer @ Visions of Other Worlds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too, but I sure do enjoy the fierce writing when it happens!

      Delete
  9. I had a fierce writing moment recently...and then my hard drive crashed. Bah! Once I get that thing back I'm hoping I can reconnect with that same fierceness.

    Great post, Alison! Hope your Spring Break is productive as well as restful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaime! AND I'm so sad about your hard drive! I think I would've shed enough tears to fry mine. :( Hope it gets restored soon.

      Delete
  10. I'm student teaching right now, and was starting to suffer from a lack of confidence right before spring break, but now that I've had that week off, I'm determined to go back to school on Monday armed with Fierceness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! And only a few more weeks, right? Good luck!

      Delete
  11. Yay for Spring Break! I hope you get tons of fierce writing time in (and that's totally selfish of me, because I just want to read more of CM!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment just made my morning. :) Yes, I hope to get lots of fierce writing done! Here I go!

      Delete
  12. "leave it all on the field" My daughter plays basketball this way, and it's something to watch, esp since she's so quiet and sweet (most of) the rest of the time.

    I do love fierce writing moments, but I have trouble catching them on the fly...I'm more likely to get there if/when I have blocks of time to write.

    Happy spring break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too - have trouble catching those small fierce writing moments. That's why breaks are nice - I can block out time to write. :)

      Delete
  13. It always seems that my momens of rabid inspiration come on when I can't indulge in writing. It's like an itch you can't scratch! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "And then I have days where I’m on fire, I write until my fingers cramp, days when I am so freaking there, I NEVER want to leave my story, do not want to stop writing, want to stop the world for an infinite amount of time so I can just write, write, write." I love when this happens. With my current WIP (in revisions), I had a lot of these writing sessions for the first draft. That was not true of the previous book, so I really appreciated them when they happened!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I think we all have good days and bad days where we just need to take a break.

    CarolynBrown-Books

    ReplyDelete
  16. I played soccer in high school and I was pretty rough. I think it's because our soccer team was co-ed and we often played all-boy teams. I thought I had something to prove.


    Aurora Celeste
    yasff.blogspot.com
    dramaticthreads.com

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!