Friday, April 13, 2012

K is for Kenzie



Today, K is for Kenzie, my super awesome fabulous daughter. She’s in seventh grade, facebooks way more than Mom, and loves to take pictures of herself. Wanna see?

Yes, she is taller than me. No, it's not right.


Kenzie (Kenz) is short for McKenzie which I don’t often call her unless it’s after I find countless juice boxes and goldfish bags in her room and then I’m screaming the classic never does any good except to summon a million eye rolls McKenzie Elyse Miller.

Her friends call her McKenzie. My brother calls her MacGyver, MacNamara, Macintosh. My son just calls her annoying.

Last year my A post was a shout out to my son Aidan so today, K day, my daughter gets one all to herself. And proud mama is just going to share a few thirteen reasons why she’s the best (don’t even try to say yours is better) thirteen year old daughter in the world.

1) She’s well-rounded. The thing I feel most blessed with is that my daughter enjoys doing so many things, and that she can do them, and do them well. And while she’s not a rock star, she’s a pretty good soccer player, a most graceful dancer, she loves to help others, brings home As and Bs on the report card, is a pretty talented artist, and just enjoys doing so many different things.

2) The child reads more than I do. LOVE her for that.

3) She plays with her brother and (SHHHH) sometimes often enjoys it.



4) She’s social, like her dad. Yet a little shy, like her mom. It’s kind of an awesome combination.

5) Her eye rolling rubs off on me. And then I give standard whatever look to my students when they’re being total boneheads.

6) She was almost as excited about The Hunger Games as I was. The bonding part of this (for me) was HUGE. I get to watch her shows with her and take her to Big Time Rush/One Direction concerts and pretend I’m all ho-hum about it when really I just want to get up and scream and dance too.



7) We laugh and sing and dance (like idiots) in the car until I swerve or miss my turn and then I have to go all crabby and parental on her.

8)I dyed my hair and it looks a little dark (black) and she’s been calling me Katy Perry (which I LOVE) and saying things like “Hey Katy Perry, where were you last Friday night?” or, pointing to her brother, “Hey Katy Perry, Aidan kissed a girl and he liked it.” And considering that Katy Perry is one of my favorite artists and a few a lot of her songs inspire my current WIP, this new term of endearment endears Kenz to me even more.

This pic is not evidence of the latest bottle job, but it's close enough.


9) We chat at night. She tells me about her day. I tell her about mine. Yeah, I know…awwwww.

PS - I could tell you other things and share pictures that would embarrass the snot out of her, but I’m saving the really good stuff for pages in her yearbook senior year.

10) She is so not perfect. And she’s sort of kind of okay with that. I was SUCH a perfectionist and was very afraid mortified that I would rub off on her. I worry those perfectionist tendencies could still creep in, but then I see her book bag with papers splayed everywhere and I feel a little better. A little.

11) She's good at math, even though (trying not to cry) she hates it.

12) Yesterday she helped me Rock the Drop, took pictures when my camera died, came up with the wicked cool idea to put the book at the Shark Attack Wings store in the mouth of this guy.



Yes, we did put Divergent on a shark's tooth!



13) And while I don’t always like having to be the “bad guy,” I thoroughly enjoy my thirteen year old because she keeps me young. Yes, I embarrass her. Yes, she embarrasses me (have I mentioned the car dancing?) But man, we have a lot of fun.

So, do YOU have someone you want to brag about today? Go for it, in the comments. Happy Friday the 13th!

30 comments:

  1. Love the post. Love her name, and she's a beauty! My daughter is named Chaney after her great grandmother. She'll turn 28 in May and we used to have this same kind of fun. I miss it. Hug Kenzie for me! And thaks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the name Chaney! And I will give her lots of hugs!

      Delete
  2. Your daughter does sound like the best--and you sound like an awesome mom. Thanks for sharing this sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! So sweet! The post, your daughter, you :D
    And it looks like you a WONDERFUL time doing the Rock the Drop! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! It didn't take us long, but it was fun!

      Delete
  4. Awesome daughter is only reflective of an amazing mom!! I don't have any children myself (not for lack of wanting) - but I think it would be so wonderful to be able to share everything that you do with Kenzie: Books, your writing (um, hello? built in YA beta reader anyone?), TV shows / movies, etc.

    Happy Friday the 13th, Alison - have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee - she has read my stories - some of them. And you're right. Awesome beta reader.

      Delete
  5. Kenzie is a super daughter and you are an awesome mom. I want to brag on all the moms and daughters out there....stay close, we need each other. Thanks for the visit today. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Love this :) Your daughter sounds awesome. LOL @: “Hey Katy Perry, where were you last Friday night?”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I was hanging out with my daughter. :)

      And thanks. She is pretty special!

      Delete
  7. This is such a great post, Alison :) I'm kind of envious of your special relationship. I'm hoping that I have daughters someday (soon) that I can share these types of things with. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And while she hates me today (well, right now), there are so many good moments! I hope you get to experience all of it!

      Delete
  8. Your daughter is adorable! I found myself grinning as I read this whole post. My girlie's only four, but she and I have a similar bond, and I'm hoping it grows into a relationship like the one you and your daughter share. So sweet, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. I hope you and your girlie have that awesome relationship too. It's nice to have so much to bond over. :)

      Delete
  9. Great post!!! She sounds like a great kid!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful love tribute to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She is pretty wonderful. Most days. ;)

      Delete
  11. she sounds amazing--kinda like my daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww - yay! Glad you have an awesome daughter too!

      Delete
  12. what a special relationship! I love this post. it's great that you have a close mother- daughter bond, and I love the pic. you look more like sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's not all peaches and roses, but we do have a special bond. :)

      Delete
  13. Nice Tribute :)
    Kate
    Follow & A to Z Visit http://whenkateblogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your relationship warms my heart! I can't wait to get to that point with my littles, who are 4 and 7, yet I can. You know.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will come at you fast! I hope you have that kind of relationship too!

      Delete
  15. I'm taller than my mother also. ;P
    It's so sweet that you guys are so close. She's lucky to have you. And you should enjoy it while it lasts, because soon she'll be doing the eye-rolling a lot more, and angst (sorry, but- http://y2u.be/xD-Huwlg2kY )

    You live near a shark tooth store? Random, and really cool. I'm very jealous. (I had this shark tooth necklace that broke, and I've been trying to find a place that can restring the tooth...)

    FYI, love the Peeta shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet post! I hope my daughter and I have such a great relationship when she's in seventh grade. (She's two now, so I have some time to wait!)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!