Saturday, April 14, 2012

L is for Lucky Sevens


So there’s this Lucky Sevens meme circulating and I’ve been tagged twice. Once by the fabulous Jennifer Hoffine and then just the other day by my awesome writer friend Cambria (you should check out their snippets—AMAZING). Anyway, I decided to play along.

Here are the rules if you're tagged:

1. Go to page 7 or 77 in your current manuscript
2. Go to line 7
3. Copy down the next 7 lines/sentences as they are – no cheating
4. Tag 7 other authors

When I was tagged the first time I immediately thought FUN! I pulled up page 7 and page 77 of my current WIP, not really knowing if I could share, if I should share, but I was feeling kind of sharey (yes, Sara, it’s totally a word) so here goes.


As I walk into English, I keep my head low and head straight for my desk at the back of the room, get out my Lit book, and bury my nose in it. And I stay that way until David bounds through the door and yells my name like I’m a football field away.

“Yo, Marshall! Your freaking present worked wonders! Penny got two rides on this disco stick!”

He slaps me a high five before swiping the books off my desk. They crash to the floor like he crashes into his seat, obviously proud of himself. Half the class stares in our direction. And as I retrieve my books, I can’t help but laugh at my obnoxious and disgusting friend.

“I like your energy today, Mr. Savage.”

Oh, crap.

Susan Milton strides towards us, messy papers and grade book in hand. She stops by David’s desk and flashes him a warm smile. “We’ll be starting Act II of Romeo and Juliet. Why don’t you read for Mercuitio?”

David leans back into his seat, props his elbow on the desk next to him. “Anything for you, darlin’,” he says with a wink.


Okay, so it’s a leetle longer than seven lines, and I'm still a wee bit averse to cursing on my blog so I had to tweak a line, but whatever. I shared. Hope you enjoyed it.

I’m also supposed to tag seven authors, but I’m pretty sure all my friends have been tagged by now so if you haven’t and you want to participate, go for it! And let me know you did. I’d love to see what you’re working on.

So, what do YOU feel like sharing today?

20 comments:

  1. I can totally picture this scene playing out in a high school classroom. That's how real it feels. I want to know more about Marshall after reading this. While he hangs out with someone he refers to as 'disgusting', I get the impression that he is anything but.

    Thanks for sharing this, Alison! I'm not sure if you saw my reply to your comment on my blog yesterday, but I posted a link to my own Lucky Se7en snippet (I had already posted it in March). It's not great, and has changed since I posted it. But sharing it was a huge step for me, so the experience was great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaime! And I loved, loved, loved your snippet! Thanks for pointing me to it. :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Jaime, very real! A fun scene.

    Yay! So glad you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This scene is still so raw, but well...no cheating, right?!

      Delete
  3. Disco stick. *giggles*

    Glad you shared. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...he says lots of "silly" stuff like that. Thanks for reading. :)

      Delete
  4. made me laugh...and I agree with the others, it felt authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really fun and you are very creative. Thanks for popping in yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...no problem. I enjoy reading your blog!

      Delete
  6. Really enjoyed your scene! Very fun. :)

    Thanks for the follow. I'm definitely following you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a cute scene, Alison. Very realistic and visual. :) This type of meme is fun. I did this one last month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. I don't always participate and I don't often share pieces of my WIP, but this was too fun to pass on.

      Delete
  8. Oh, how I adore David. Disco stick... such perfect word choice for that boy! Great snippet, Alison. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your excerpt, Alison! This really sounds like a fun, enjoyable story.

    Thanks so much for stopping by. Always a pleasure to meet other bloggers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These scenes are always fun to write. :)

      Delete
  10. LOL DISCO STICK! *cracks up* I think I'm gonna like David. I can't wait to read :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!