Tuesday, April 17, 2012

N is for NEVER

I don’t know about you, but I am completely confident in my writing. When I finish my revisions (which, whatever, I don’t need to do, because my story is already full of awesome) I’m going to query and every agent will want my story. I know I’ll have the same response from the Big Six. My book will go to auction and I’ll sign a seven figure, seven book deal, and the movies based on my books will double The Hunger Games opening weekend. I am never insecure about my writing; in fact, I don’t even know what insecure means.

And if you believe all that, let me also tell you that everyone who stops by my blog today wins free airfare and a week’s vacation to Costa Rica, all expenses paid.

*giggles*

Just so you know—I rarely meet someone who belittles my writing or tries to tell me I’ll NEVER be a published author or that no matter what I do my writing will NEVER be good enough or that I’ll NEVER publish my particular story because that idea’s been done, redone, and overdone. Nope. Those NEVERs come from within. As writers, I think we are our own worst critics. And the NEVER voices permeate my mind daily. My writing will NEVER make sense. I NEVER have enough time to write. My characters will NEVER be layered enough. I will NEVER be able to write a query that encompasses my fifty plot lines. I will NEVER write a story people will want to read. I’ll NEVER sign with an agent. People will NEVER want to buy my book.

NEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVER

It’s hard to defeat those voices, especially when you’re stuck in the murky middle or you’re in the throes of revisions and your darlings are still not behaving themselves and sticking to the main storyline. Or when you feel like you’re too clichéd or you receive a rejection on the last full manuscript you have out there or someone else wrote a story that sounds exactly like yours.

To be honest, I’m there now. Revisions are kicking my butt, I’m overwhelmed and looking at a big blob of a manuscript that on some days only seems a little less blobby. I hit this really awesome stride with writing last week and then got STUCK and those NEVER voices (yes, I do have voices in my head) crept back in—those voices that threaten NEVER, NEVER, NEVER almost enough to make me want to give up.

When I get like this, I have to turn to a different set of NEVERs. NEVER statements that uplift me. Or at least temporarily delude my mind until my brain conjures up another round of self-defeat.

So, in the spirit of self-pep talks, an encouraging NEVER. For you. For me. Enjoy.


Winners NEVER quit, and quitters NEVER win. (Vince Lombardi)

NEVER give in. NEVER give in. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. (Winston Churchill)

It is NEVER too late to be what you might have been. (George Eliot)

NEVER tell me the odds. (Han Solo)

NEVER give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about. (Winston Churchill)

We must accept finite disappointment, but NEVER lose infinite hope. (Martin Luther King Jr.)

NEVER give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn. (Harriet Beecher Stowe)

I NEVER looked at the consequences of missing a big shot... when you think about the consequences you always think of a negative result. (Michael Jordan)

NEVER lose a holy curiosity. (Albert Einstein)

The greatest accomplishment is not in NEVER falling, but in rising again after you fall. (Vince Lombardi)

Success is NEVER final, failure is NEVER fatal. It's courage that counts. (John Wooden)

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will NEVER forget how you made them feel. (Maya Angelou)

If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you NEVER will change the outcome. (Michael Jordan)

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give up. (Winston Churchill)





Feel uplifted? Me too. I like these NEVER quotes SO MUCH better. Tune in Friday. I’ll have more quotes that keep me going.

Ever have those NEVER days? Do YOU have a favorite NEVER quote? Tell me in the comments!

22 comments:

  1. Fantastic post! Especially since I'm doing revisions that have me swimming in insecurity. I loved all of those quotes too. (I'm a quote junkie.) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wait until you see my Friday quote list! And thanks. It's so easy to submerge ourselves in that sinkhole of self-doubt. I'm going to paste a couple of these quotes around my work station. Maybe that will help!

      Delete
  2. Sending you revision hugs! I'm in the midst of revising, too, and I'm struggling a bit. It's hard not to let myself give in to frustrations and doubt, but I made a commitment to myself and this WIP to keep going! I find it helps to remind myself that I always feel doubtful at this stage of the process, and on the other side of revisions I'm thrilled with the work I've done.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Rebecca! Yes, I have the same outlook too. I'm at a place now that I was at with the beginning of my ms back in February - and I got through that. We can do it. :)

      Delete
  3. Excellent quotes. Here are a couple of others that I like.

    You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it come true. Richard Bach

    You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. C. S. Lewis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOH - I LOVE that last one! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. This was a fantastic 'N' post, Alison! I hear you on the blobby manuscript--I'm there too. I also hear you on the constant 'never' doubts. I say these types of things to myself all the time. Thanks for the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaime! Blobby manuscripts can be overwhelming, but every time you work on them they really do become a little less blobby.

      Delete
  5. I *am* feeling uplifted! This was the perfect post for me to read today, considering the phase of the publishing process I'm hovering in and my struggles with my rewrite. I feel renewed and ready to get back to work! Thank you, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad I could be inspiring! And work, work, work, please! I want to read more Max and Jillian!

      Delete
  6. We truly are full of self-doubt but I also think that battling our inner demons and conquering them, if just by fits, makes us stronger that those who inherently believe in themselves. When life kicks our butt, we are better prepared to get back on our feet and move forward, those others just stay on the floor. I do feel uplifted. Nice post!

    From Diary of a Writer in Progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great way to look at it! And I completely agree. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?

      Delete
  7. Yes, yes, yes! This is exactly what I needed to read today. Thanks, Alison--and I so, super hope you keep those *much better* never quotes in mind while you continue working those revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I do feel inspired. Thanks for taking the time to find all the inspiring quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. These blogs are always good for inspiration - particularly on my end. :)

      Delete
  9. Aah, perfect. Just what I needed today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the inspirational quotes. Best of luck with your revision. Revising can be tough but you'll get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow -- what a wonderfully uplifting and inspiring message!

    Thank you so much for this great A-to-Z post! I've NEVER visited before, but I've NEVER been happier to read a blog! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say that I am seldom insecure about my writing - probably because I love doing it so much that I am less concerned about the audience than the storytelling. If I were to seek to publish I imagine all that would take a sharp turn!

    By the way, I'm just down the road in Brainerd!

    http://badmoodgoodmood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha. Awesome post. I'm wallowing in the Nevernevers right now myself. The rejections help that a lot. But my light at the end of the tunnel is eventually I will get my books into print whether through an agent or self-publishing. Either way I can make it happen.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!