Thursday, April 19, 2012

P is for Playlist


My first two projects had theme songs. Every time I'd hear those songs - in the car, on a walk, wherever - I'd pump up the volume, belt the lyrics, get inspired. I'd be in the zone, be THERE with my characters, and while the music played, my mind would be writing new scenes, rewriting old ones, or the lyrics would just get me thinking and brainstorming and needing, yearning, wanting to WRITE.

My current project doesn't have A song to pump me up. It has seventeen. Yep. A Playlist, on my iPod, and whenever I want/need to get excited about writing or need to just be in the zone, I pop in a bud and press play. Here are some songs on my current playlist

Back in Black (AC/DC)

I Know You Want Me (Pitbull)

A Little Less Conversation (Elvis)

Firework (Katy Perry)

Animal (Def Leppard)

Another One Bites the Dust (Queen)

Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad (Def Leppard)

The One That Got Away (Katy Perry)

I actually have five Katy Perry songs on this playlist, another Def Leppard, some Police, other classic rock. And then last night in the car I heard this





And I thought, PERFECT.

Do YOU have a playlist for your WIP? What's your favorite song from it? And if you don't have a playlist, what song is currently stuck in YOUR head?

25 comments:

  1. I listen to Soundscapes from Brighthouse. It's soothing and opens my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh - that sounds like it would be soothing. Nice!

      Delete
  2. can't think of the artist--but "should i stay or should i go"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great song! I'll have to google the artist because I can't place the song either!

      Delete
  3. My WIP's playlist has 27 songs on it. As for my favorite, I think I have to go with "Do What You Have To Do" by Sarah McLachlan because it was the very first song to make the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 27! Wow! And I love Sarah McLachlan. Great choice!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a fun playlist. Love the mix of Katy Perry and Def Leppard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It sounds like a weird combination, but so fun!

      Delete
  5. I can't really have playlists for WIPs, because they just distract me. Sometimes songs will randomly inspire me to write, but I have yet to have the whole song-WIP connection.

    Right now, the song in my head is "I Still Believe" by Frank Turner. So good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't actually listen to music while I write, but the songs do get my subconscious working. And I love listening to them. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm writing poetry right now and don't have a playlist for that, but I wanted to say that I love the songs you've chosen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like a lot of Florence + the Machine's stuff, but her song Cosmic Love in particular suits my WiP perfectly. Also by Flo, Shake It Out is just perfect for both of my WiPs. Love it! :)

    Thanks for sharing some of your playlist. I like hearing what sorts of things inspire people's writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jaime! I'm sure I've heard those songs you've listed, but can't place them. The titles just sound full of awesome.

      Delete
  8. I've had some theme songs along the way. Also, I've set all but one of my books in the midwest where country music is strong and pround...we don't even have a country radio station here in northern NJ, so sometimes I play old CDs or the country cable station just to feel like I'm "back home."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Don't hate me, but not a country fan (even though I live in NC), but a Taylor Swift song was pretty much the theme of my last project.

      Delete
  9. I do not have a playlist right now, but I am loving yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kat! I love it too. Great songs to walk to.

      Delete
  10. All of those songs feel so very CM, Alison! Love it! Max and Jill's playlist has lots of country music on it, of course. It's kind of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your playlist does have lots of country! It is kind of fun. :)

      Delete
  11. I don't have a playlist, though it's an idea I may play with in the future. "A Little Less Conversation" could be a good song for pretty much any project, no? :)

    ~ Rhonda Parrish

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true! I always have playlists! My ever favorite for one of my big past projects is Falling for the first time by Barenaked Ladies. Fun! :)
    Nice blog! Happy A to Z!
    http://multicoloreddiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great song! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. LOVE this Calvin Harris song - I actually have the vid posted as one of my playlist songs! Great minds, I'm telling ya! And I love me some Elvis - I like to listen to the GI Blues soundtrack while hopping around to get the blood flowing before I sit down to write!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!