Saturday, April 21, 2012

R is for Rest



Anyone out there a classic Type A Personality? I think I have Type A on steroids. Rest and Relaxation are not typically part of my vocabulary. My typical day starts between 4:30 and 5 and after my morning caffeine injection, it's pretty much go, go, go until um...10:30 at night. I usually crash around 11:30. Then get up and do the same thing all over again.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Sound familiar? And rest? HA! Who has time to rest? I can't rest!  Rest is for the weak!

WRONG. Rest is for the wise, sane, and healthy. And I've learned too many times the hard way that rest is just as important to the work day as work is.

As a writer I experience this same go, go, go mentality. Using spare minutes to edit pages, read a chapter, critique a first page, read a few blogs. I enjoy doing all of that, but I also think it's important to take a few of those minutes and just do NOTHING. Watch one of my many DVRed episodes, watch my kids play, or just crash on the couch and vegitate for five ten thirty minutes.

This weekend I'm retreating away for a little R&R. A chance to hang out with my husband. A chance to relax. A chance to breathe.

Otherwise I might end up like this guy


So, if I'm not around the next two days, I'm resting. Relaxing. Something we all need to do every now and again. (PS - I've prescheduled these posts and the new blogger is not my friend. If my posts seem particularly wonky, please forgive)

Oh, and if you're curious to see how I do manage my time, pop back in Monday.
How do YOU rest and relax? Go on any mini-retreats lately?

9 comments:

  1. I'm like you: go, go, go, then drop. Repeat.

    Have a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think the new blogger is anyone's friend.

    When I rest and relax, it's with a book or something I recorded on the DVR. No mini-retreats for me. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rest and relax by either reading a good book or watching a good movie or recorded TV show :)

    Hope you get some good resting and relaxing done, Alison :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned the hard way (body meltdown) the importance of rest. Now it's a huge part of my daily routine. I rest for a couple hours every afternoon. Mostly I read. Hope you're weekend of R&R is a big recharge. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally Type-A. I get up and start my day at 6 (at the latest) every morning because I feel guilty and lazy sleeping any later. Good to know I'm not alone in my go-go-go mentality, SWF.

    Enjoy your weekend of R&R with your hubby. Well deserved, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a go-go-go type A as well. I think we writer moms have a tough job. It's nearly impossible to do and be all the things I need to do and be each day. Something always has to give... usually sleep. I live on 4-5 hrs. max of sleep/night to get more done. We have a fairly big house on a big (over an acre) lot full of gardens, pets (2 dogs and a cat)...that alone is a full-time (overtime) job. Then there's cooking, shopping, kids, homework, projects, husband time, friends, family, life, CP work, etc., etc...and writing.

    My downtime is usually popping in a Veronica Mars dvd and folding laundry. I have to multi-task my downtime, or fall further behind.

    I hope you are enjoying your weekend! :)
    Hugs,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, because I saw Heaven, Heaven’s a super-sonic, killer-proposal-relationship IF we pass the test of this finite existence, IF we exceed-the-rules and become the Great Beyond: while faith is certainly justified, the reward of faith is to believe what you don’t see beyond the furthest star. We’ll have a tonOfun for the length and breadth of eternity, lovely girly, where we’ll have a cumulative, effusive euphoria; a BIG-ol, kick-ass, rock-solid, party-hardy for many eons celebrating our resurrection, nekk’n and luuuv’n, drink’n and dancing, full-throttle, mind-blowin, bawl-bustin, virtual reality, baby… on earth? whorizontal taxes - the death of U.S. Upstairs, however, we can fly: like a true, major’s child, we were born 2B wild. God bless you. Love you, doll. See ya SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to be driven like that and i still get bursts of energy...my ex-h called me 'OCD Driven Woman'. But I am so tired that I have learned to relax more. I relax by doing crafts, colouring, walking my dogs, beachcombing, photography, blogging...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't get out of bed until 6:30 this morning, which is sleeping in for me. And when I did get out of bed, it was so I could chug a cup of coffee and dive back into revisions for awhile before I leave for my second job.

    It's Saturday.

    Yup. Type A over here.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!