Monday, April 23, 2012

T is for Time

To say life is a little crazy is to say Annoying Orange is a little annoying. Between teaching, grading papers, prepping two kids for school, trying to be a somewhat good wife, cleaning (what's that?!), blogging, blog reading, writing, revising, querying, reading, critiquing, tutoring,... Yeah, alright - you get it. I'm busy. But who isn't these days?

Andbutso a while back I did this post on making time for EVERYTHING. And every year I feel the need to revisit. And tweak it. And I don’t write this just to remind myself how to squeeze in all those extra things in the day. I write this to remind myself to enjoy it.

Here ‘tis. How the Wonder Woman Wannabe manages her time.


To everything there is a season and a time for every purpose during the school year…

A time to play Legos and a time to put on SpongeBobICarlyJessie while I fix dinner breathe.

A time to drive fifteen minutes to work and a time to hash out that murky part of my novel while driving

A time to hang out with my husband and a time to praise Ducks (his hangout after a soccer game) when I need a night to write

A time to exercise and a time to take the kids to McDonalds

A time to drag my feet in from work onto a just recently cleaned floor and a time to praise God for my mother

A time for three hours of back and forth texting with CPs and a time to feel completely rejuvenated and confident about writing

A time to thank God for eve-ry-thing and a time to implore Him for an agent

A time to submerge myself in the Twitter-verse and the Blog-o-sphere and a time to turn off the Internet and play with my imaginary friends

A time for just one more school-oriented meeting and a time for me to edit a few several pages

A time to sit in my son’s doorway, waiting for him to go to sleep and a time to catch up with Facebook and blogging friends

A time to grade papers and a time to procrastinate them just one more day

A time to schedule roundtables and send emails and set up chat rooms and a time to talk with teens and remind myself over and over again why I love everything YA

A time to curse these crazy tests I have to administer and a time to watch my students test while outlining those three chapters I’ve needed to write for three weeks.

A time to do laundry and a time to ignore the dust-bunnies and let my house be condemned

A time to be a wallflower with my online writing friends and a time to feel I'm not going it alone

A time to write and write and write (even if the clock’s struck two-ish) and a time to hit the sheets before midnight because I have to teach complex fractions the next day

A time to fret about my daughter being in middle school and a time to play Legos with her and my son because if I blink she might just have graduated high school

A time to have a beer. Or two. Or eight.

A time to hop from house to house on my tutoring route and a time to read a chapter of that book I can’t put down

A time to watch my husband’s soccer team play and a time to catch up with my long lost friend

A time to take my children to soccer or dance or whatever and a time to edit, edit, edit!

A time to read to my children and a time for us to all sit in the same room—engaged in our own silent reading

A time to wait in the orthodontist office and a time to plan lessons finish that one chapter

A time for IEPs and PEPs and NCLB and a time to say screw it and just let me teach

A time to have a date night with my husband—because he definitely deserves my time too

A time to struggle teaching my son to ride a bike and a time to just carry him and relish in the fact that he’s not totally grown

A time to review my critique partners' work and a time to fall in love with so many awesome characters

A time to indulge in monthly book club and a time to skip it because I just really want to crash on the couch with my kids

A time to write blogs and read blogs and a time to feel completely inspired

A time for teaching and meetings and tutoring and fundraisers and a time to just ignore everything and close the door on the tanning bed for ten mind-numbing minutes

And a time to write. I don’t care if I only write/revise two sentences, there NEEDS to be a time to write.


How do YOU manage your day? What do you make time for?

25 comments:

  1. Your days sound like mine. A constant juggle and mostly every minute trying to be productive. Thanks for sharing thisl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a constant juggle, but I enjoy everything so much. It's worth it.

      Delete
  2. I really loved reading this. So many of the things you wrote remind me of myself. I struggle with balancing my writing time and my time with the kids. It's such a struggle sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but you learn how to work the day while trying to keep the things that matter most a priority.

      Delete
  3. My life has suddenly become really busy in this last week before our trip, but it does NOT compare to the craziness that is your everyday life. Wow, Alison! You're a busy, busy lady, and I'm amazed by what you pack into a day. Hope there's time somewhere in there for you to grab a few moments of rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days. ;) And have fun on your trip!

      Delete
  4. wonderful time poem---trying to make time today for catching up on housework after catching up on the a-z thingy---and so on---

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - housework always seems to come last for me. Need to fix that. Maybe.

      Delete
  5. Love this! Life is such a juggling act, esp with children in the picture. The good news AND bad news is: this,too, shall pass...but it sounds like you've figured that out:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - this shall pass when June 10 rolls around! And it is a juggling act, but one I very much enjoy.

      Delete
  6. Love this post! I woke up today stressed out about how I would manage to hit the gym, cook dinner, wash the sheets, work on my WIP, and watch Mad Men--all after 7pm. So . . . I'm trying to figure time management out! I find it helps to pick one concrete task to do per day aside from "essentials." So if I do laundry tonight, the WIP might have to wait until tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days that time management thing is tricky, and some days I fail at it. But it does help to prioritize those essentials.

      Delete
  7. "A time to have a beer. Or two. Or eight."

    Ha! Love it!

    This is a fabulous post and a great reminder of what's important in our stressful lives. Thanks for the lift, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! And I really don't ever have those eight beers. Well, it's a very rare, rare circumstance.

      Delete
  8. I am turning 63 tomorrow and am learning to set my priorities and set my intention for the day and then hope for the best. It doesn't always work they way I'd like, but I'm more relaxed about it. But then, I'm in a different place in my life than you are.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be somewhat relaxed about it too. Not always easy, but it helps me enjoy everything more.

      Delete
  9. Yes, we all seem to be too busy, don't we? I am praying God will show me what's important to concentrate on during the remaining years/decades of life He has for me. Thanks for the clever post, Alison! Just stopping by from the Challenge...
    Http://4ambassadorsofchrist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! And yes to prayer! That helps me!

      Delete
  10. Looks like you've got a lot going on. If you can do even half of these things I'd say you've done well for yourself. There are definitely times I pass up doing what I should do to do something that I really want to do and need to do for mental health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes - that mental health thing is SO important. And it helps I enjoy most of this!

      Delete
  11. Oh Alison...I am right there with you. Well, minus the kids. But oh man, all of the things and none of the time. How do we get through the day?

    Keep hanging in there, friend. And if you figure out how to fit it all in, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get through my day knowing there's a couch and my family waiting for me at the end of it. WHEW! It's a juggle, but I really do enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  12. What an amazing way to look at what's important in your life and determine how to best prioritize!

    It's crazy how much we can pack into a day, while still keeping our sanity, keeping other people happy, and ultimately, making ourselves happy - and it sounds like you've found a good balance of all the above!

    Excellent post, Alison - hope you find more hours in your day to get it all done (or at least have the really awesome red Wonder Woman boots to make it more enjoyable!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need me some red Wonder Woman boots! What a great idea!

      Delete
  13. I am putting this up on my bulletin board. It is so much my life!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!