Tuesday, April 24, 2012

U is for Updates

Because I'm Unoriginal and Uninspiring, you're just getting a few Updates from me today. Maybe it will be a lot informative and a little Uplifting. Enjoy.


UPDATE on BLOGGING

I participated in the A-Z blog challenge because I needed some rejuvenation. I got it! (see below) And I don't want it to stop. Soooo a bunch of my writer friends and I are going to do this



It's the brainchild of the genius and fabulous Sara McClung and I am so excited about it! 35 people have already signed up and I want you to as well. Click here for more details!



UPDATE on the WIP

I’ve often compared my current project to a beast, even gave him a name—Franken-novel (click here for more scoopage on that). And this revision has turned into a major rewrite. Taking out a POV and writing in many new chapters will do that, I guess, and it’s taking a lot longer than I wanted it to. I hit major writing strides, get stuck, poke at the blob for a few days, hit another stride and keep writing. At times I feel overwhelmed, but I just can’t give up on it. And I’m getting there. I'm about midway through the second act and, fortunately, the third act was almost entirely told from my main character's point of view. I often joke that this project may take me two years. I don't think that's a joke anymore. But I'll get there. Eventually I’ll turn this beast into a real beauty.


UPDATE on READING

I hit a major dry spell with reading in March - literally did not read ANYTHING. And it was depressing. But I'm on an upswing with reading again (yay!) and have read so many awesome books this month: The Disenchantments, Variant, Why We Broke Up,... Tomorrow I'll be back with my favorite April read.




UPDATE on CONTESTS




One thing I wanted to be ready for was Cupid's Literary Connection's The Writer's Voice Contest. My manuscript's not ready, but maybe yours is? Click here for details.




My writer friend Jessica Love is participating in a blog tour where the hosts are giving away a copy of Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris. The book sounds phenomenally awesome. Want to win? Click here for more info.

And tomorrow is the last day to enter my ARC giveaway. I'm giving away ARCS of Perfect Escape, Falling From Grace, The Hunt, and more. Click here to enter.

Anything to update in YOUR writing/reading life? Tell me in the comments!

22 comments:

  1. Awesome that you're getting through your revisions. I think I have a more major revision ahead than I wanted. I want to be done already. But I am working on my new project while I wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so tempted to work on a new project at the same time, but I'm too afraid I'll abandon the current one. Good luck with your revisions!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the updates! I'm looking at having to do some major revisions done on my wip and am dreading it....but since there's no way around it, I try to stay positive. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes that revision is tough to get motivated for, but that's also where some of my best writing comes out. Hang in there!

      Delete
  3. Yay for updates :D

    I love this sentence: "Eventually I’ll turn this beast into a real beauty" --> I'm sure you will, Alison!

    I cannot wait for BlogMeMaybe, that is such a great idea!

    My revision also turned into some sort of a beast (especially since I decided towards the end that yep present tense was much better than past for this WiP :D). I am in my second round and I need to tighten one of the major subplots. Once that's done, I am rereading it once for editing purposes and sending it off to my beta. However, in the mean time, I have started working seriously on that new WiP which is a YA contemporary romance (I posted an excerpt last week) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOH! Sounds like you're well on your way with your project! And I LOVED your excerpt!

      Delete
  4. I am with you on the WIP rewrite. Congrats on the progress you're making, and I know it will turn into a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Updates are always good. I can totally relate to revisions taking longer than I want. My last revision seemed to take forever and I almost decided to quit the novel but I stuck it out and added things to the story that made me care about my character more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I stuck it out and added things to the story that made me care about my character more."

      YES. THAT. :)

      Delete
  6. I just picked up Why We Broke Up yesterday. Glad you liked it! Now I'm even more excited to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it! So relatable. Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  7. I am still chipping away at "Inheritance", the last of the Eragon books by Christopher Paolini. Other than that, crafts keep me the busiest. And blogging, seeing my friends and mom, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to read those, but hear so much about them.

      Delete
  8. not much to update as far as writing goes--as i am not a serious writer--but i have had a lot of church stuff going on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I think we all have our own little things that keep us busy and fulfilled.

      Delete
  9. Can't wait for Blog Me MAYbe! I'm so glad you loved THE DISENCHANTMENTS. I thought that book was all kinds of wonderful. (And keep plugging away on FrankenNovel... can't wait to read more!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did love The Disenchantments! And yes, plugging away!

      Delete
  10. Nice updates! Good luck with the WIP. I, too, had a reading dry spell that made me feel all icky inside, but now I'm reading an ARC of Something Strange and Deadly and I just finished The Miseducation of Cameron Post. Your blogfest sounds like major fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to read that one - have heard so many good things!

      Delete
  11. Oh man. Revisions. Yup. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes...those revisions. Hope yours are going well!

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!