Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Blog Me, MAYbe: MAY I tell you something about myself?



Welcome to the first day of Blog Me, MAYbe, a blogfest that is the genius brainchild of the fabulous Sara McClung, one in which you can choose to blog every week day in the month of May (or as often as you would like) following this schedule:

Monday: MAY I tell you something about writing?

Tuesday: MAY I tell you something about myself?

Wednesday: MAY I ask something about you?

Thursday: MAY I tell you something about someone else?

Friday: MAY I share something funny?

FUN! You don't have to blog every day. You don't even have to sign up. But you can. Click here for the linky on Sara's blog.

Today's Tuesday, and since I just finished up the A-Z blogfest, and since my writer friend Katy Upperman shared about herself in A-Z fashion and encouraged us to do the same, I thought I'd use today to go A-Z, all about me. Enjoy.

A is for age: Care to take a guess? I’ll reveal at the end of the post.

B is for breakfast today: Cinnamon Raisin Bagel with Cream Cheese. Or a Pop Tart. Such healthy living.

C is for currently craving: It’s 6 AM. I don’t really crave anything but coffee at this hour.

D is for dinner tonight: Cici’s Pizza, fundraiser night for Aidan’s school. A cheap alternative for parents on the go. And my kids like it. Mom does too.

E is for favorite type of exercise: Tap dancing. I’ve taken lessons since I was four, and this is the first year in a while that I’ve not been in a class. I miss it. 

F is for an irrational fear: Driving over bridges and thinking I’m just going to drive off of one.

G is for gross food: Anything with red meat. Blech.

H is for hometown: I grew up in Douglassville, Pennsylvania. Tiny dot on the map an hour west of Philly, twenty minutes east of Reading. Right next to Amityville. And no, not the one from the horror movie.

I is for something important: My family. Some days I wish I could do nothing else but hang out with them.



J is for current favorite jam: Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad by Def Leppard. Beyond perfect for my current WIP.

K is for kids: McKenzie (13) and Aidan (7). Click on their names if you want to know more about them.

L is for current location: My dining room aka pseudo-office.

M is for the most recent way you spent money: Paying bills. Boo.

N is for something you need: About five ten fifteen more hours in the day?

O is for occupation: Wife, Mommy, Writer, Teacher/Tutor. I have prioritized that list with my heart. Unfortunately, my daily agenda dictates a different order.

P is for pet peeve: Misspelling. But just for me. I can tolerate the most horrid butchering of words by other people, but I can’t send a text or an email unless I’ve triple-checked the spelling.

Q is for a quote: Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. (James Dean)

R is for random fact about you: I love Eeyore. My collection could fill up a Disney store. Possibly even Tomorrow Land.

S is for favorite healthy snack: Grapes. Juicy green ones especially.

T is for favorite treat: York Peppermint Patties

U is for something that makes you unique: I have this tattooed on my leg, in a Bernoulli spiral.



It’s Latin for I arise the same though changed. Jakob Bernoulli had it engraved on his tombstone. Who is Jakob Bernoulli? Swiss mathematician famous for his contributions to Calculus, logarithms, probability. He also made great contributions to my first writing project.

And yes, this does further support the theory that I am the world’s biggest nerd.

V is for favorite vegetable: Asparagus—yeah, I know. I’m weird.

W is for today’s workout: Walking up the stairs in my house? Sad, I know. It’s about all I get some days.

X is for X-rays you’ve had: Of my foot—fractured when I tried to carry my then four year old daughter down a set of wooden stairs that were just a little unstable.

Y is for yesterday’s highlight: Two of the students I tutor made 95s on their tests. My husband made curry chicken for dinner. And then we had that rare moment of everyone eating dinner at the same time around the same table (even if that table was the coffee table).

It’s the little things.

Z is for your time zone: Eastern.

Now, MAY I encourage YOU to do your own A-Z share? Let me know if you do one (or have already done one) in the comments. I'll definitely check it out!

Oh yeah, that age thing: You'll have to work for it.

My age = the number of Wonders of the Ancient World times the number of sides on a stop sign minus the ides of March.

It's 41. Did you guess correctly?

22 comments:

  1. My mom has that same bridge thing. I'm pretty sure her worst memory is driving over the Tappan Zee bridge with a four-year-old me in the backseat...and discovering that, due to roadwork, there was a giant hole in the road that she had to drive right next to. She still talks about it 22 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds do think alike and apparently have similar fears :D I am a tad anxious by nature and reading your fear kind of makes me realize that my fears are not that strange after all :D Thanks for sharing Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeyore is my favorite too! And I love that quote by James Dean...I've never heard it before. How perfect that he said it.

    I totally cheated on your age without meaning to. If you really want us to try the math, you should put the answer farther down, or hide it or something:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Good to get to know you too! As for the math problem for your age, my eyes glazed over. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tattoo is awesome! I don't like bridges, either. Can we see a tap-dancing vlog sometime, please?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you seriously just try to make me do math? Ugh. (Don't get me wrong. We need math. Just not when I'm doing it.)

    You tap dance? That's totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is this bridge that I remember crossing when I was around 16 or so, newly licensed, and I still have nightmares about it. It felt like it went straight up and straight down. I remember gripping the wheel in pure terror, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed your answers, Alison. :) And how cool is that tattoo! I love that it's math-y like you, and that's it's Latin. I like Per ardua ad astra (through difficulty to the stars) and worked it into my WiP.

    I did this survey today too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tap dance too! Haven't since high school though. As an adult I've done hip hop and jazz instead.
    And I do that same thing over bridges. I imagine the car going over and the falling feeling and getting trapped in the water or the car exploding into pieces if it's hard ground. Morbid, I know.
    I like this A-Z thing, I'll have to save it for next tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a spelling fanatic too, and a grammar/punctuation witch. I did a critique once for someone who only used single quotes around all the dialogue (I have no idea why) and it drove me BANANAS :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done! I love peppermint patties, too. And, we're almost the same age (I'm 2 years older. Wahhh!) Also, now I am craving curried chicken. Mmmm.

    Happy May!
    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that asparagus but it doesn't love me--not so much into peppermint patties but i like them more than i did as a kid----this was awesome---and i had my spell check on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun post!

    I absolutely LOVE York Peppermint Patties, but for some reason, I haven't had one in a very long time. I'll have to fix that.

    I signed up for this blogfest today. Having a great time already!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm... I love asparagus too! And I love this quote: "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

    I'm so glad you did the A-Z Survey, Alison! It was a blast learning more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm impressed you're doing more of the alphabet. I'm totally a C-Coffee person too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used to want to be a tap dancer when I was a kid - my mom bought me this used pair of shoes and I stomped around in them. She did not like, however, when I tried bottlecaps on the bottoms of my shoes (I must have seen that on TV somewhere) :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome idea, Alison!
    When I read the "favorite jam" question, my first thought was: Strawberry? Apricot? How many different types of jams are there?
    Oh, Riv, you're always so food-minded. (And slightly crazy for talking to yourself.)

    My Blog Me MAYbe post just went up as well. And it happens to fit in with Q as well. Just a quote I've been thinking about for a couple of days. Feel free to check it out. =D

    ~Riv Re
    Riv Reads

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a very cool introduction. I'm feeling a little less inspired by my first Blog me Maybe post, but it does include a really great song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nope--I didn't guess correctly, lol.
    That family pic is just amazing!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. EXCELLENT quote! I need to adopt that one and maybe put that on my classroom wall or something. :-)

    I love that you tap dance. I did only as a kid/teenager but always find myself shuffle-ball-change-ing when I'm standing alone, fidgeting, etc. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean your mathematician quote/tattoo. I think it's awesome!

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!