Thursday, May 3, 2012

BMM: Team Dave


MAY I tell you something about someone else?

I’m going to use Thursdays to tell you about other writers, about characters from my favorite books, maybe, maybe about my own imaginary friends, but today I wanted to tell you a few things about the most important person in my life. He’s my staunchest supporter, my best friend, and the one who absolutely completes me.



Eighteen years ago, we got together at a minor league baseball game. He won a screaming contest and consequently won my heart. Here’s a little more on how he wins me over on a daily basis.

Never a dull moment—at work, at home. You NEVER know when he’s serious about something or not. He convinces every new batch of freshman that there’s a swimming pool in the basement of his high school (there’s not even a basement) He takes legs off the other teachers’ desks. Kidnaps prized bathroom passes and holds them for ransom. He orchestrates the most elaborate pranks on kids, teachers. And yes, sometimes even me. He keeps your morale up, even if his is at an all time low.


His motto for his soccer teams (for life) is BELIEVE. Believe in yourself, believe in each other. Believe in your dreams. He not only teaches his kids soccer skills, he inspires them to achieve excellence. And instills incredible volumes of confidence in them.

Kids, adults, everyone LOVE him. And rightfully so.

We can’t go anywhere without running into someone he knows. Not the grocery store. Not Myrtle Beach. Not even St. Augustine, Florida. It’s slightly annoying, but mostly endearing.

He doesn’t hesitate to speak his mind when it comes to advocating for his kids. Or anything else he believes in.

He’s a bigger kid than I am. He wears pleather pants and a fake mullet on eighties day. He proudly sports a red Mohawk with his boys soccer team. He roughs it up with our son, plays Wipeout with both kids, Dance Central with all of us. Okay, so maybe sometimes Aidan runs and cries to Mommy after he loses a wrestling match. Yeah, my husband unmercifully teases our daughter and her friends. But he also reads with Aidan or spent an hour online the day the Big Time Rush tickets went on sale to get McKenzie tickets for her birthday. And he always tries to see at least part of if not all of their soccer games. He’s an amazing dad.

He has five tattoos. The only thing I don’t like about this is he has one more than me. And yes, we are VERY competitive about everything. No worries. Usually healthy competition. Usually. (I’m still taking revenge out on the Scrabble board for the times he brought me to tears playing RISK. )

When he has to go away for a few days, he leaves me notes on all the mirrors that say



He doesn’t just buy me one card for our anniversary (or Mother’s Day or my birthday or whatever), he buys two…sometimes three. And he spoils me rotten on those occasions too.

He reads my work, listens to my brain spew, helps me figure out those murky scenes in my stories. Heck, he pretty much gave me the ending to one of my projects. And he just genuinely supports my writing. He doesn’t always understand all the other stuff I do in conjunction with that, but the writing? Probably one of my biggest cheerleaders.

Is my husband a saint? The perfect man? Uh…no. He’s gone a lot with soccer. Our yard jungle can go weeks months without being mowed. He needs two walk-in closets for all his clothes. He loves country music. But those things? Those are trivial matters.

Big picture - my husband just genuinely cares about others. And about me. And he’s usually very selfless in doing so. Unconditional love. We all know how I feel about that. I might be Team Peeta or Team Edward when it comes to books, but in reality, I’m Team Dave—all the way.

So, there’s a little bit on my soul mate. Who’s the most important person in YOUR life?

18 comments:

  1. Awwwwww Alison--what a KEEPER. I'm totally won over and now am convinced our husbands would be bffs. :) Dave's sense of humor sounds amazing and I'd love to see him fool freshman into believing theres's a pool in the basement of his school! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post! Dave sounds like an amazing guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! This is the sweetest thing ever! I love that you've named a (fantastic!) character after your hubby. :) The most important people in my life are, of course, my husband and daughter. He just GETS me; he's my best friend. And she makes me smile every single day! Great post today, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, so sweet! Dave sounds like a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave sounds great! You are so lucky!!

    The most important person in my life is my boyfriend. We were high school acquaintences back in the day, he graduated in 1980. He found me on Facebook in Jan. 2011 and told me he'd been in love w/ me since we met at ages 14 (me) and 16 (him). I fell for him immediately. It was so easy to fall, he's amazing and he's the love of my life. I left a 22 yr marriage and life on the west coast to move home to MA to be w/ him. Am hoping for a proposal this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post! I think my Mom is probably my biggest fan at the moment, and biggest supporter. Even when she doesn't "get" my stories, she still cheers me on.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. :) I can tell you're both so in love with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet post! I love reading about happy marriages and spouses who are still so in to each other. My hubby is also a real keeper, and I love him more every day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a keeper. But you already knew that. It's amazing how one's life partner can spice up your life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! It sounds like you guys are really pals--which, according to Mindy Kaling, is what makes a great marriage. (She figured that out watching Will Arnett and Amy Poehler.) Isn't that a great metric? My husband is my person, and he and I are definitely pals. I'm thinking I'll be posting about him at the end of the month--when we celebrate our 3rd anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, what a sweet post. Your husband sounds like a great guy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww! That is a wonderful post, Alison and you husband sounds like a wonderful man! :D (yes this call for 2x wonderful :D)
    I smiled when I read you guys are competitive. My hubby and I are too, especially he :D
    My husband is my best friend too, he completes me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome post. So cute!
    Maybe I should do a Thursday post on my hubby. It might be kind of short, though...(Unless we're talking about Dream Hubby, Alexander Ludwig. Because I can go on about Cato for a decade...or at least until November 2013, when I can rave about Finnick...)

    ~Riv Re
    Riv Reads

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet post! You have such a keeper there, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remeber that minor league ballgame. I was there too. You two are super, will always hold a special place in my heart for you?? Congrats??? Joan P

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations, Alison and Dave on 18 years! Alison you are a great wife, a great mother, and a great daughter. Love you and your family SO much! MOM

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!