Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday Follow Up

Happy Friday! How's your week been? Here's my follow up

On WRITING/REVISING: I revised forty pages this week. Forty pages in the second half of my story with one section that has been and continues to DRIVE ME INSANE. It’s a HUGE reveal section and I’ve been having issues about where to put the um…reveal. You see, Alison likes to add a little mystery element to her stories, but she doesn’t want her mystery to come off as manipulative, if that makes sense.

Anyhoo, I ended up creating two versions of the same forty pages (let the CPs have some input!): one with the reveal early on, the other contains the revelation toward the end of the section. And I thought they were ready to go until I printed off another set of hard copies (to check for flow) and couldn’t stop TWEAKING.

I’m not neurotic. Nope. Not in the least bit. Also, have you read my post about my critique partners? They. Are. AMAZING.

The silver lining on reading said pages twenty thousand times? This section also contains one of my favorite…FAVORITE scenes in the entire manuscript. I’ve read it, I don’t know, a bajillion times now, and my heart still hurts EVERY TIME I read it. And the writing is, in my leetle meek opinion, so, so good. I actually reread the scene anytime I need a little writing pick-me-up. Makes me wish I could write like that all the time.

Do YOU have a scene like that? Tell me about YOUR week in writing!

On READING: It’s been a bit of a slow reading week. I reread The Perks of Being a Wallflower, reminding myself why I love this book SO MUCH. I’ll gush about it more next Wednesday, but now I’m super stoked to go see this




Currently, I’m reading 11th Hour (James Patterson). It’s the Lindsay Boxer Women’s Murder Club series. I’m addicted. The one adult series I’ll never get enough of.

What have YOU been reading?

On INSPIRATION: Did any of you participate in Road Trip Wednesday this week? Holy Revision Motivation. I keep reading back over my love list and just fall in love with my story all over again. I’m so printing fifty copies of it and taping it EVERYWHERE.

And speaking of inspiring blogging, do you know Temre Beltz? She’s an MG writer repped by Mandy Hubbard and she wrote this most beautiful, amazing, and insightful post the other day called Writers are Super Human? She talked about stories as gifts and how it’s easy to feel our gifts are insufficient, but that we are all uniquely qualified to bring these gifts to the table.

Here’s just a little sample of the awesome:

So I think I've learned that the best writers are not super-human with superior intelligence, impeccable wit, and knock-out good looks (although surely some of them probably are!), but they are super-human.

And I think that's something I can do. I think that's something any of us can do.

I hope you visit Temre and read the rest of her post. And I hope you leave as touched and inspired as I did.

What’s inspired YOU this week?

On FAMILY: I took my daughter to see these guys on Wednesday.


And she and her friends had a BIG TIME. She saw Big Time Rush back in March (with One Direction!), but I caved and bought her tickets again. What can I say? I’m gunning for Mom of the Year.

And while McKenzie and I partied it up in Raleigh, the husband took Aidan on a shopping spree for more of these


But I’m indulging the Skylanders’ fixation. When school starts Monday, my poor kid won’t have a lot of time to play the Wii. Actually, he won’t have a whole lot of time to do anything.

In other news, my husband made me a playlist for my iPod when I wasn’t watching. Yes, it was super sweet, but hold your awwws for just a sec. While his playlist creation did contain many favorites, he also added several Zac Brown songs to the mix. Yeah. Zac Brown. Country music and Alison are about as compatible as a lion and a frog. But I forgive him. And am quietly plotting my revenge. :)

Oh, and tomorrow is the husband’s BIRTHDAY. How are we celebrating? At his soccer games all morning. :) But it’s cool. The kids and I will sport the red and black and then we’ll pool party it in the afternoon. Frankly, I just hope the man takes time to relax. He’s crazy busy these days.

What are YOUR weekend plans?

On OTHER STUFF: Monday, the husband and I went back to work. The school year doesn’t just hit us. It slams into us like a bus. A double-decker one. My son’s soccer practices started. My tutoring picked up. The husband had three soccer games this week. The onset of the school year means I set my life dial to INSANE. It’s crazy busy. But a GOOD crazy busy.

However, being at work means my tan is fading. Already. (I KNOW…Shut up, Alison!) Sunday might be the last day I get to see the beach for a while. The weather BETTER cooperate. ;)

Finally, tonight I will be on the sidelines, recording offensive stats (yay!), and watching some FOOTBALL. My school against my husband’s. There’s absolutely no rivalry and smack talk at our house. Nope. Not at all.

What are YOUR plans this weekend? I hope you have a wonderful one!

16 comments:

  1. I'm forcing myself to work on my current wip because I know the concept is a winner, but being pregnant is making me extra lazy!
    I just finished City of Bones. Good book but I knew the big twist at the end which kind of ruined it for me...next up is Love Story by Jennifer Echols. Very excited about that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read a Jennifer Echols book - have heard so many good things!
      Yes - keep working on that WIP! And congratulations!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, Alison - thank you SO much! I was just taking a break from my WiP and hopped over here because I love reading your blog and hearing about your writing progress. I was reading down, and my jaw dropped when I saw all the kind things you had to say. Talk about making my day! Thank you so, so much! HUGE hugs, and awesome job on getting through those forty pages. I also can't wait to one day read that scene you love! I know it's going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Temre! And I was happy to share such an AMAZING post! Also, it just made my day that you enjoy reading about my progress! I can't wait to share that scene with the world too!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to your hubby!!!

    No plans for the weekend. My fiance' is home for today and tomorrow...have to do our errands in Sandwich later this morning, then just home to hide from the warm weather. I'm working on a beaded cross stitch and various and sundry other craft projects. Still reading 'Curse of the Narrows' which is starting to get tedious but I have less than 100 pages to go so I have to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read books like that and yes - I just have to force myself through. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  4. This is the most enthusiastic post of the day and I'm hoping some of this enthusiasm will infuse into my battle-worn body. It's been a rough week. Writing/Revising is perking up. Reading HERO'S GUIDE TO SAVING THE KINGDOM which is cracking me up. Hope you get your fabulous beach day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm glad I could infuse a little enthusiasm, and I hope you have a better weekend!

      Delete
  5. How funny--my husband's birthday is also tomorrow! We will be celebrating by going to a Bills pre-season football game...which, knowing the Bills, may not turn out to be that celebratory, but should be fun for a while, anyway! Hope you all have fun tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! Happy Birthday to your hubby! And I hope the game is fun. And that they win. Unless they're playing the Eagles and then well, I just can't support that. ;)

      Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad revising seems to be going well, even if that scene is driving you a little bonkers (I know the feeling, and I'm a massive tweaker--only not in the druggie kind of way O_o). I'm still feeling the urge to tweak my story. I hope work goes well and that the transition from summer won't be too stressful on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that urge to tweak NEVER goes away! I have a few scenes that drive me bonkers, and those usually end up being my best written ones. So, I try to be patient. :)

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  7. sounds like you had BUSY week, and i can't even the craziness involved in teaching. Gah! You are brave. I hate getting stuck on a certain section in my manuscript, but the solution will come, when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO TRUE. Usually if I let my subconscious take over for a little while, the solution poofs in there.

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. Your family is so cute, Alison. :) (Not that I'm a stalker or anything, that's watching you from the white van parked across the street. *ahem* Just based on the stories you tell. *cough*)

    I'm happy for you that you got those 40 pages done. It's the best feeling. I actually think I just read a quote or something--probably on Pinterest--about tension versus surprise, and the build-up is always better, because surprise just comes and goes (or something).

    As for men: I plan to type up today what I've written during my month of unplugness. I just finished a critique that I've been working on forever, and (I think I mentioned this at the "Perks" roundtable) I completed I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak. (LOVE him.)
    Here's a tid-bit of inspiration I found that I think I'm going to put over my bed: http://pinterest.com/pin/234257618088516624/

    Happy birthday to your husband. Best of luck on your soccer game. =D

    (That was waaaaay too long of a comment. Sorry for the rambles!)

    ~Riv Re
    Riv Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me smile. :)

      Also, I am pinning that quote to my desktop! I need that reminder daily.

      Hope you have a wonderful (and productive) weekend!

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!