Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday Follow Up

Happy Friday! How's your week been? Here's my follow up

On WRITING/REVISING: I revised about fifty pages this week—still two parts that don’t sit well with me that I’m currently (what I call) chunking (more on my whack revision process some day) and will, must, need to send off to CPs soon. If only Alison could stop TWEAKING.

Anyway, those fifty-ish pages did not take me through to my Black Moment, BUT I’m okay with that because just about every spare minute I had, I revised: early in the mornings, twenty minutes at lunch, sitting in my son’s door way waiting for him to fall asleep. And…AND I WANTED to revise. I had no problem “springing” out of bed between four and four-thirty, powering up the laptop and getting to work. I actually got a little (a lot) miffed when I had to shut down and do something—ya know—responsible. That has not happened in a while.

So, I got a little “drunk on writing.” Did YOU meet your writing goals for the week?

Also, I think I shall use this post to set a few goals for the next week and report back the following Friday on my progress. So, here goes: by next Friday, I DEFINITELY want to be through to the Black Moment; in fact, I want to be working on it (I read through it the other day—still makes my heart hurt).

How about YOU? What do you want to accomplish next week?

On READING: Since I’ve been REVISING just about every spare minute, I really haven’t progressed as far as I like in the reading realm. While my revising experience has been rewarding in itself (and very enjoyable…LOVE revising), I did use reading as a reward for my revising efforts. After I edited a set number of pages or spent a certain amount of time revising, I rewarded myself with a few chapters. The problem: I’m currently reading this


Have you read it? Yeah. This is one I DON’T want to put down! Kristin Cashore is a writing GENIUS. I think I’ll take a day this weekend and just READ.

What have YOU been reading?

On TRENDS: I’m blogging about my teens over at YA Confidential today. A few trends. Some new wordage. A little on what’s hip. You can check it out here.

On FAMILY: A full week of school has left my family WIPED. Between soccer practices and tutoring and a fundraiser event mid-week, there were a few nights we could’ve all crashed around seven. I usually go to bed around eleven during the school week. I had trouble making it past nine.

BUT we have a three-day weekend. And it’s supposed to be SUNNY. And the husband and I are having a date night to celebrate our birthdays (his was last week, mine is um…soon).

What are YOUR plans this weekend?

On OTHER STUFF: My Explorer is sick and in need of major car surgery. L We are a one-car family for the next week until I can get it repaired. Yes, it’s inconvenient, but the SILVER LINING: No soccer games this weekend. Actually, nowhere I HAVE to be. I have awesome friends who can take me to and from work every day. Heck, the parents of one of the kids I tutor offered me a car to use for as long as I need it. I can walk most places I have to be. And I just got paid. Things could be a lot worse.

I’m counting my blessings. What are YOU thankful for?

Happy Friday! And have a WONDERFUL weekend!

15 comments:

  1. Awesome that you're so dedicated to writing that you're getting up so early. Next week we start getting up at 5:15 so my daughter can get to swim practice. I'm revising too and making progress. I'm hoping to use the extra early morning time starting next week to write more.

    Can so relate to how busy school & sports are. We had our first meet last night right after work and there are many more to come over the next 2 months. But it's great for our kids, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great for the kids, and the busyness is typically GOOD busy. I enjoy most every moment of it!

      Hope you get some writing done at those swim practices!

      Delete
  2. Good for you. I'm rethinking my writing schedule. Going back to the early mornings since Sweetman complains about me not paying any attention to him. At night, he sits on the couch by himself while I hang out with my characters.

    I did Camp NaNo and reached 38, 587 words. I got struck with 2 migraines and fatigue. When that happens, I'm totally useless.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    http://www.shellysnovicewritings.blogspot.com/
    http://secondhandshoesnovel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! That's a lot of words! Good for you!

      Yes - I write during the early morning hours so that I can spend time with the family later. It works out nicely for all of us. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I hope your novel gets published, because I want to READ it! :) I love to write also and have always wanted to write a book, but who knows... I always get frustrated around the 100 page mark. Did your hubby tell you I saw him at a wedding I shot in Jacksonville last month? I couldn't believe it when I spotted him and I immediately started looking for you, but you weren't there! :( Take care and I'm excited for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone gets frustrated around the 100 page mark. ;) I call it "the murky middle." But push through, Candace! And I do hope I have something you can read one day!

      Delete
  4. 50 pages is impressive! Yay for you!

    Haven't met my goal yet, but I have the rest of the day to get there :)

    I think I'm gonna make it though! That is, if I don't slack off and go back to reading Nina LaCour's HOLD STILL...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well - that's an understandable diversion! I LOVED The Disenchantments!

      And good luck with meeting your goal! Happy weekend!

      Delete
  5. Hooray for the writing drunkenness!

    I finished a revision this week.

    I read BITTERBLUE in one gulp a few months ago.

    I've spent the past 24 hours devouring Jennifer Echols' SUCH A RUSH.

    Way too many "I"'s in this comment.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read a Jennifer Echols' novel! Maybe I'll buy one for myself for my birthday. :)

      And yay for the revision finish!!!

      Delete
  6. Yay for revising! You're on fire!

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eek... Sorry about your Explorer. Are you surprised to know that I drive one too? No? Didn't think so. :)

    BITTERBLUE... Love, love, LOVE! Kristin Cashore rocks, and I really want another book with Giddon in it. Love that man!

    I'm so proud of you for all the revising you've fit in this summer. I wanted to be finished with my revision this week, but alas, still more to do. I did make progress, though, so that's encouraging!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! No, it doesn't surprise me that you drive one, but I did get a good laugh at that. ;)

      Good luck with the revision! Go, KATY, go!

      Delete
  8. I was at the beach this last week, and...*gasp*...I did a ton of revising, too! Something about the end of summer really put the pressure on. I'm glad I finally buckled down and revised -- the WiP sounds a lot better for it. I'm glad you were able to get some editing done as well!

    And here's hoping your Explorer just has a 'cold' and nothing terminal. Dealing with car trouble is no fun.

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!