Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday Followup

Happy Friday! How's your week been? Here's my follow-up

On WRITING: Anyone else participate in the awesomeness of this




New Leaf Literary started Writeoncon’s Back to Basics conference with probably what is now my new mantra: Just. Freaking. Write. With a wealth of information out there, it IS so easy to lose oneself in hours of blog reading and emailing and everything writing-related, but the ladies at New Leaf reminded us what brought us all here in the first place—writing.

And it just got better after that. SO many inspiring and rejuvenating “sessions,” amazing for writers at any stage. You can see a couple of my favorites here, here, and here. The posts are archived so you can access them at any time. If you haven’t “attended” yet, what are you waiting for?!

Oh, and I got all brave and stuff and put my query out there for *gasp* critique.

Some of the feedback:

Holy balls this is good! I adore the voice, from the first line.

I think you nailed his voice perfectly (really rare for any of us, but especially impressive for someone who hasn't been a teenage guy!)—this one came from…a GUY.

Tons of positive and constructive feedback, and I also received a nudge to query an agent and a request for a full. Guess I better get revising!

So, yeah…Writeoncon was pretty awesome. Were you there? What was YOUR favorite “session?”


On REVISING: I’ve spent the past week and a half in brainstorming and note-taking mode, gearing up for this round of revisions. I call it round one, but considering I revise SO MUCH as I go, I should probably call it round fifty. Anyway, can I just tell you how much I LOVE revising! I devoted last weekend to readying pages for my round two CPs (more on Alison’s wack process later) and then the better part of yesterday preparing pages for my round one CP and well…I am just in love. Don’t get me wrong, revising is not easy, but I love revising because

a) this is where the real craft of writing comes in—finding the most concise, voice-y, strongest way to say something, establishing flow and pacing, fleshing out story lines and character motivations

b) falling in love with my characters over and over again. More on story love next Wednesday.


What I don’t like? Cutting. Especially scenes I LOVE. I did manage to delete 700 words yesterday. I have a lot more to cut (I’m not an overwriter. Nope.), but 700 is definite progress.

Are YOU revising? What do you love about the process?


On READING: I finally sunk my talons into this



SO GOOD. I really tried to read it slow (since *sniff* it’s the last one!), but I couldn’t help but fly through it. A little weirded by the way James Patterson decided to end it, but VERY satisfied, on so many plot line fronts. Reminded me of my experience with MOCKINGJAY.

In other reading news, I FINALLY finished Fifty Shades Darker. It only took me two weeks. I won’t go into why. I will only leave you with this



Up next on the TBR: BITTERBLUE and 11th HOUR.

What have YOU been reading?


On FAMILY: Soccer started this week! And while my husband’s not sporting the red mohawk (yet), Alison donned the red and black for the first soccer game Wednesday night (which we won 5-0, btw). And my daughter’s playing in soccer tournaments this weekend. My husband’s coaching her team and I can’t wait to see them in action!

Also, it’s really HOT here in Eastern NC so to cool off we spend lots of time at the beach. Or cool off with this




My son’s new favorite movies. And they are really cute. And fifty shades of clever.

What are YOUR weekend plans?


On OTHER STUFF: Monday I go back to work for my 21st year of teaching.

Oh wait. You wanted HAPPY news.

Okay, so going back to work really isn’t the happiest news, but the beginning of school does mean the start of this



And we all know how this chick feels about football.

Also, this



Will YOU be watching?

Have a great weekend!

21 comments:

  1. I'm drafting one on Camp NaNo Wri Mo and one is in proofreads b/f it goes to formatting.

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, yes - Go Alison go - *happy dance*! So happy that you received a full request and a nudge!!!! :D I have to check out your query...

    And I LOVE REVISION! For my last MS it was painful but I figured I needed to rewrite not revise. For this one, it's WOW - Amazing - lots-of-work-but-I-love-it :D

    Have a wonderful weekend, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elodie! I love drafting, but man, I love revisions. Good luck with your process!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Alison! Loved hearing about your week, and SO awesome about the full request and query nudge!! Congratulations :) I'm also a football loving girl (sort of a survival mechanism considering my husband is a HUGE fan), so I'm getting excited for that too. Hope this next week is a good one for you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Temre! I'm the statistician for the school I teach at and I'm so excited to get out on the sidelines! And of course, I write about it. My current project probably reflects my football love. Maybe too much. :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the request, Alison. I tuned in for the last live chat to support my agent and enjoyed the discussion. I love revising, but I'm almost done with this trip through my historical and have the overwhelming feeling that I'm still many, many drafts away from where it needs to be. Sigh.

    I'm reading an ARC of MIndi Scott's LIVE THROUGH THIS and loving it.

    That's about it. Enjoy the new school year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I LOVED Freefall so I'm certain I will enjoy that one! And good luck with your revisions. I know I have several rounds ahead of me, but it's okay. It's done and the first half has seen two rounds with critique partners so it'll get there. Someday. :)

      Delete
  5. I now have two mantras: Just Keep Swimming, and Just Freaking Write. Thanks, WriteOnCon!

    Good luck with the start of the school year! And congrats on the full and the nudge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Just Keep Swimming! That's a very important mantra too. I just really liked that the whole focus was on the basics. It was very rejuvenating. :)

      Delete
  6. Yay! So did you get Ninja-ed for the full request? It was amazing how many queries were in there, and how quickly they got bumped, so that's great you got some notice. I got a partial request from Peter Knapp in his live pitch critique, so I'm happy with that. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. I even had the WIP status up there so I was surprised. Congrats on the partial! I tuned into some of that session. Very helpful!

      Delete
  7. That's some great news about WriteOnCon, congrats, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun updates! Thanks for putting out the writoncon recs...will check them out...and congrats on putting your query out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! The conference was AWESOME! I hope you get a chance to check it out.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! I need the cheerleading!

      Delete
  10. Congrats girl! Awesome news.

    And it's less than two weeks until the start of College Football...and the clocks ticking down! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for pro! (which is my love)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  11. The Hunger Games... YES! I still need to go buy my copy, but I'll definitely be watching! And hello... You've been teaching for 21 years? How is it possible you look so young? You must be doing something right, lady!

    Also, KEEP REVISING, and I'll keep reading. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I LOVE comments!