Monday, August 27, 2012

Have a Drink with Me?

Most of you know I’m a teacher. Most of you also know that the teaching gig provides a summer vacation. And summer vacation for many teachers and students means sleeping in.

Not for this chick.

With very few exceptions, Alison set her alarm clock every morning for 5 AM, and some mornings I literally sprung out of bed (not like this during the school year…AT ALL).

Why, you ask?

Well, I jumped out of bed every morning to get drunk.

On writing, that is.




I LOVE to be drunk on writing. When my mind is deliriously dizzy and I can’t spit out my words fast enough. Stories spin in my head. And my to-do list is a hazy fog I later sober up to. Writing stories is a high I never want to come down from. And when I do, a wonderful hangover lingers until I can jump off the reality wagon again.

But today, my friends, the teaching gig starts, and I take a trip to crazytown. The school day is busy. The afternoons are busy. The weekends are busy. And while most of that busy is GOOD busy, I’m a little nervous about the writing. And wondering when I’m going to be able to get thoroughly inebriated with it.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. I’ll probably get a good buzz going here and there, but nothing, NOTHING like the welcomed delirium I had going on this summer.

I don’t want reality to destroy me. I yearn for writing intoxication. Bad.

So, I’m calling myself out on my blog. I’m going get “drunk on writing” and revise every second I can. My goal this week: revise through to the Black Moment. I won’t tell you how many words or how many pages (because I am seriously embarrassed by my current word count), but trust me…it’s a lot. I know...I know what you’re thinking. Set small goals, Alison. You’re busy. You should be realistic.

But that’s just it. I don’t want to get buzzed on writing. I want to get rip-roaring smashed.

Wanna get drunk with me? On writing, that is? Tell me what you’d like to accomplish this week, and report back on Friday. And then fire up that computer and

WRITE. WRITE. WRITE.

26 comments:

  1. I've been doing Camp NaNo Wri Mo. Talk about drunk-wasted.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    http://www.shellysnovicewritings.blogspot.com/

    http://secondhandshoesnovel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to get drunk wasted! (said like the little girl in Grown-ups)

      I bet that was some serious writing intoxication. I hope I'm in a place with my SNI to do that in November.

      Delete
  2. I want an outline by the end of this week! A real, complete outline that I can start writing from! (But I'm giving myself until Monday to do it.)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go, Rebecca, go! I almost thought about extending to Monday (long weekend), but then I KNOW I'd wait until the weekend.

      Good luck! Looking forward to seeing an update!

      Delete
  3. For us it's our last week of summer vacation. I'm back at work after a week off. My son doesn't have child care and is being shuffled around. Both my son and daughter have Open Houses -- thankfully on two different nights. My in-laws are coming up for the long weekend and we're spending Saturday at the Renaissance Festival.

    Yet I'm determined to finish the first draft of my WIP by 11:59 pm on Sunday, September 3rd. I've changed a major plot point so it's in various stages of disaster. I cut about 5K this weekend.

    But I'm going to do it. And blog. And read. All while having last-minute school supplies panic attacks. I know it can do it.

    I'm going to WRITE. WRITE. WRITE. It's the only way. Thanks for an inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go, Sara, GO! I know the feeling on the busyness, but you're right. Sometimes we just have to find the time, even if it's in small increments. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. Yay for writing goals! I want to finish the first draft of my WIP by the end of the week. That'll definitely have me black-out drunk on writing for days ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! Good luck with that first draft. SUCH a good feeling!

      Delete
  5. Glad you had such a productive summer, Alison, and best of luck this school year! (The drinking might begin for real. lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I know, right?!

      And thanks! It has been a productive summer. I hope it will continue.

      Delete
  6. Love this post, Alison! Unfortunately I had a weekend where I couldn't get drunk on my writing, but I think that's because I was at a major snag. Fingers crossed that it's worked out now, and I'll be wasted in front of my laptop in an hour our two. ;)

    My goal for the week? FINISH THIS REVISION!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go, Katy, go! I know you can do it! Glad you got past the snaggy parts. :)

      Delete
  7. I do find it harder to get drunk on writing in spurts...it is possible, though.

    Good Luck with all your busy-ness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes...so hard, but I'm DETERMINED.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I love to get drunk on writing! :D And hey, good luck with those revisions!! I read your comment that you were looking forward to that contest, and I hope you'll be ready with your ms by then!! :D
    Good luck with this semester at school too!
    Gawd. Wake up at 5 am? Um, I love to get drunk on writing, but I think I'm more a nocturnal person, haha!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The contest sounds awesome! I hope I'm ready too!

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful quote and amazing inspiration. Good for you! I will definitely get drunk with you. Anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's do it! I "drank" this morning, and have an hour set aside tonight for a few more. Love getting drunk on writing!

      Delete
  10. Welcome back to crazytown!

    I need to get 40 pages of my WIP polished to send in to my advisor for school. I hope I can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to tell you that I planned to finish this revision of the WIP by Friday, but amazingly, I finished today. So cheers! I must rethink the goals for the week. Not complaining. Keep drinking, er, writing. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I hope you find something else to drink on as well! :)

      Delete
  12. Hello drunky drunk drunk :D
    I want to finish this round of revision of my novel by Friday evening. Yes, I have a crazy week ahead, with business trip, preparation for a little family holiday in Russia but I want to make use of the train time (both in my commute and during my business trip) to finish it!
    Cheers, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! Good luck on finishing that revision! And wow - you do have a crazy week!

      Delete
  13. Arrrghhh :D Why is it that my comments don´t show? :D Anyways, wanted to tell you I´m off to get drunk with you in about 30 minutes!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why that is either. I hope you got writing wasted!

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!