Wednesday, August 15, 2012

RTW: SWIM THE FLY

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic

In honor of the end of the Olympics, share your favorite sports book!


I know I Olympic-blogged yesterday, but I cannot, CANNOT miss an opportunity to share one of my all time favorite sports reads:


Fifteen-year-old Matt Gratton and his two best friends, Coop and Sean, always set themselves a summertime goal. This year's? To see a real-live naked girl for the first time — quite a challenge, given that none of the guys has the nerve to even ask a girl out on a date. But catching a girl in the buff starts to look easy compared to Matt's other summertime aspiration: to swim the 100-yard butterfly (the hardest stroke known to God or man) as a way to impress Kelly West, the hot new girl on the swim team. So what if he can't manage a single lap, let alone four? He's got the whole summer to perfect his technique. What could possibly go wrong?

Three fifteen year old boys who spend their summer with the quest of seeing a naked girl for the first time? And two pages devoted to TWSS day? SWIM THE FLY is American Pie at Swim School. I have an affinity for boy books and have consequently read a lot of them, but this one is one of the most AMAZING and HILARIOUS books I've ever read.

What's YOUR favorite sports read?

20 comments:

  1. This one does sound good! My fav is a swimming one too: Whale Talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that! I must check that one out. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a cute story. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Incredible writing. The author is actually a screenwriter and I can totally see this being adapted.

      Delete
  3. I loved this book. Great choice and a great sports book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Swim the Fly love! Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  4. Hmm. I'm not really sure. Most of the sports books I've read are non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read some of those too, but this is GOOD. Sara turned me onto this one. You should check it out. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm a sucker for swimming books (blame it on 10+ years of competitive swimming). And yes, butterfly is the hardest stroke known to God or man. I want to punch whoever thought it was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! I know, right?! I think you'll like this one a lot then!

      Delete
  6. I've heard such great things about this book, and as a former swimmer, I definitely want to check it out. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another interesting factoid I learn about Katy! Neat! Yes - check it out. I know your affinity for boy books, and this one will SATISFY.

      Delete
  7. I have to check out this book. I am on such a swim high from the Olympics!! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! And you'll have to let me know what you think!

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of this one. It sounds like a fun read though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Hope you get a chance to read it!

      Delete
  9. I'm not a swimmer, but why would anyone want to do the butterfly? I just seems like the most impractical stroke ever. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm always looking for quick and fun reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! It is a quick, fun read! Enjoy!

      Delete
  10. This book was a HUGE fave here in our house! Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am happy to proclaim my love for this book!

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!