Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday Follow Up (Currently...)

My friends Katy Upperman and Jessica Love did this cool Currently… post recently. They got the idea from Kate Hart. Who got it from Amy Lukavics. Who got it from here. Anyway, I thought I’d mix up my normal Friday Follow Up and join in the fun too! Here’s what I’m up to. Currently…

Loving…

YA Confidential. My fellow operatives. Our teen spies and analysts. We’re having this gihugic anniversary giveaway, our favorite books just for YOU. Have you checked it out yet?

Also, our awesome teens are taking questions today. Ask them about school, books, movies, music. What teens are really up to. Or maybe you have a question that could help you with your WIP.

Reading…




You know that little VOICE thing that all these agents and editors and bibliophiles everywhere are looking for? This book nails it. No. Take that back. This book SCREAMS voice. Like as loud and amazing and awesome as the music Audrey listens to. Swear to you, this book has the STRONGEST voice I’ve ever read. The kind of strong that makes me wonder why I ever thought I could do this writing thing, yet at the same time make me so passionate about writing that I just want to boot up my laptop and try to emulate a smidgen of Robin Benway’s talent.

And Audrey! She is so incredibly likeable and despite the insanity happening to her she’s so relatable and I love her and her bff and James and Jonah and Bendomolena and even Simon of the Lolitas (okay, maybe NOT him). And ohmygosh it’s so funny and fun and crazy good. CRAZY GOOD. Seriously one of the best reads this year.

Also, I would’ve never even known about this little piece of story heaven had it not been for the fabulous Tracey Neithercott, founder of the YA Book Club, blogger extraordinaire, and co-creator of cool book covers like these





Umm…Tracey’s pretty fabulous.

But back to AUDREY, WAIT! I mean, I know this book was released in 2008, but how is there so little buzz about this book?! This book deserves mad love and props and well, I’ll just have to give it a much more extensive gushy review in the future.

Watching…

My children grow up too fast. Can someone please stop time for a few minutes, give me ten more hours in a day, let me ENJOY my children before they go off to college. My son’s in third grade. My daughter’s in eighth grade. When did THAT happen?

Thinking about…

My story. My characters. How much I love it and love them and all I want to do is work on my WIP even though I know I have so much more work to do. Also, I love that my mind is on my WIP practically twenty-four/seven. That even when I’m driving or grading papers or hanging out with my kids while they make me watch shows like The Amazing World of Gumball, my subconscious is sorting out tricky scenes and plot points.

Anticipating…

SLEEP. I seriously walked around school Thursday looking and feeling like something off of Zombie Planet. I don’t usually sleep in on Saturdays, but my son doesn’t have a game until 1, and uh…this chick might be snoozing. Until ten.

Wishing…

Honestly? That I could shut the door on life for a while and just work on revisions. I know…I know. That sounds selfish and awful and I should totally be careful of what I wish for, but sometimes it would be nice to be an island. Even if just for a few hours.

And if that’s too much to ask for, then I wish that my house would magically clean itself. I think I’m about two fire hazards away from it being condemned.

Making me happy…





My family. Always.


What’s going on in YOUR life? Currently…

22 comments:

  1. I think I anticipate sleep as soon as I get up! Beautiful family. Time does go by fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um...I know, right?! And good luck with everything in the next month! SO EXCITED for you!

      Delete
  2. I just finished Audrey, Wait! Great book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm anticipating sleep, too--it's been a long week!
    Tracey's recommendation convinced me to finally read AUDREY, WAIT! this year, too. It's one of the best examples of voice that I've read. Love that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And I hope you get to sleep this weekend!

      Delete
  4. I love your Currently post, Alison! I also love seeing the pictures of your beautiful family! So awesome :) I definitely relate too on the daydreaming about your WIP - sometimes I get so excited if my girls show any interest in one of the Nick Jr. shows (they usually are too active to watch tv, which is good but tiring sometimes!) because I know I've got twenty minutes to cuddle with them AND work out those tricky plot points. It's a nice mental break sometimes. And the fire hazard thing - yep! Me too :) So thankful for an understanding hubby. I hope you have a great Friday and that you do get to sleep in tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids used to be like that too, but they've slowly grown an addiction for the internet. Can be bad and good, ya know?! And thanks for the kind words! I love my beautiful family!

      Delete
  5. Um, that picture of your kids is the. cutest. ever. Your oldest seems like an awesome big sister--I would definitely not have looked that happy about hugging my little sister when I was in the 8th grade!

    Also, you are like the fourth person I have seen gushing about AUDREY, WAIT! I will have to track it down, I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thanks! And yes! You must read AUDREY WAIT!

      Delete
  6. Love this post! I'm going to have to try that on my blog once every few months. And those book covers are awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too! I may have to make it a semi-regular feature. :)

      Delete
  7. Ugh, I too wish I could put 'real life' on hold and revise. And thanks for the book recommendation, definitley going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! And yeah, sure would be nice to ignore life and revise, but then I do miss stuff there too. I did manage to shut the door for a few hours today. Very productive I was. :)

      Delete
  8. I LOVED AUDREY, WAIT! :D The voice...oh the voice in that book! Awesome!!! :D

    And yes to this: "Honestly? That I could shut the door on life for a while and just work on revisions. I know…I know. That sounds selfish and awful and I should totally be careful of what I wish for, but sometimes it would be nice to be an island. Even if just for a few hours."

    And the pictures of your family are so adorable :D

    Have a lovely weekend and get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elodie! And I hope you had a lovely weekend too!

      Delete
  9. Robin Benway ROCKS voice. You should check out her other book, too. It's also pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on the TBR! I can't wait to read it!

      Delete
  10. I moved to Colorado this week, so it's all about unpacking. Like you, I can't wait to get back to revisions. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are there and unpacking! I revised for several hours today - so wonderful!

      Delete
  11. Tracey is pretty fabulous. :)

    Love the family pictures, and if you ever find some way to make your house magically clean itself, please do pass that info on. Hope you got to sleep nice and late today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - well, the eight year old had me up by eight, but it's still better than five! And I'll definitely let you know on the house-cleaning thing. Need some Harry Potter wizardry!

      Delete

Yay! I LOVE comments!